Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw

• Husky 51

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Husky 350

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Stihl ms 290

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Husky 455 rancher

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
Hello everyone. I am in the market for a used saw. Just a homeowner looking to cut a few cords of wood and clearing brush on my property. The ones I am trying to choose between are all the same price and in similar shape. I am trying to choose between
Husky 51
Husky 350
Husky 455 rancher
Stihl ms 290
All are at $175

Any help would be appreciated. TIA
I'm not a Husky user but I have had several ms290's, I just bought a new MS261c and I like it more then the 290. The 261 has more power, better throttle response, better air filter, starts easy and sips fuel. The 261c is a pro saw and does cost a little more, but it will keep up with a 290 no problem and I think it's a better saw.

Husky 460 is a spendy boat anchor, but it's the best one to pull 24". Husky 51 is a hunk, but not very easy on the user. 350 and 290 can both be upgraded to be really good saws, but lack a lot in stock form. 034 is in the same category but bigger.

Personally, none of those saws are something I would want. Get the one that starts and runs perfectly. Get your wood cut, save your money, then buy a better saw.

Or 10.
Thanks for the info

I went through an 1125 series stage, rebuilt three of them. I swore I'd do one 56cc but I sold the last of the extras a couple weeks ago. I kept a beater 034 chassis with a 48mm top that I basically built for free. I'll loan it out so the red saws stay nice, and safe...

If you are patient you can find lots of better saws than those for $175. I bought an 026 Pro for much less than that recently and I also bought a 372XP for a lot less than that but you have to look around...
A. Palmer is an even better bargain hunter than I am. A Stihl 026 PRO for under $175? Gasp! That was truly a steal. The MS261 that replaced it sold for $580 new.

Well, I must admit that I was given a burned out Stihl 034 five years ago. I rebuilt the entire top end with an 036 P/C kit, added a new pull-cord housing, an outside bumper spike, and a new bar. It runs beautifully today:
View attachment 720704
Well, I must admit that I was given a burned out Stihl 034 five years ago. I rebuilt the entire top end with an 036 P/C kit, added a new pull-cord housing, an outside bumper spike, and a new bar. It runs beautifully today:
View attachment 720704
View attachment 720704
20190307_103025.jpg 20190307_103025.jpg

026-1.JPG
A. Palmer is an even better bargain hunter than I am. A Stihl 026 PRO for under $175? Gasp! That was truly a steal. The MS261 that replaced it sold for $580 new.
Kinda embarrassed but I got it for less than $50. I got it at the local junkyard/recycler for $10 if I'm not mistaken. I bought 3 other saws there that day, an ms250, and Echo top handle and another one which I can't remember what it was. I sold the others but kept the 026. I check back every now and then but all they have lately is a couple of chop saws which I don't like to mess with so I didn't ask the price..
The 026 didn't look like that when I bought it...I've added a different bar and chain and the plastics on top. The engine is oem..

It's easier to find good deals when you don't need a saw right now. The best deals always happen when I'm tight on cash and my wife is angry. :confused:

It's sort of a chicken or egg thing actually.

Back