Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw

• Husky 51

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Husky 350

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Stihl ms 290

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Husky 455 rancher

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
I generally keep a bunch of saws on hand so I'm usually not desperate to buy one. I was a little desperate (hope it didn't show) when I bought a nice looking 346xp for $100 at a flea market..346-1.JPG I think that a lot of the time the sellers don't know what they have or what it's worth. I have bought a few decent saws at flea markets from ex-wives...

We have a special thread for your kind.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/you-suck-thread-2019-pics-required.328017/
Guess I better not get divorced.;)
I think much of A. Palmer's chain saw collection (and mine) would be equivalent to what stock investors call a capital gain. You can evaluate it by using the following:

CG = (replacement cost of a new saw) - (what you paid for old saw + restoration cost).

That would be pretty close and the only thing you might lose would be the enhancements that the MFG added to the new saw that you would have to buy in order to replace the one you bought. But, you will pay through the nose for that, assuming it really is an enhancement.

My average chain saw capital gain is usually about 50% of the new saw's cost (dealer price + sales tax). I wager that A. Palmer's is considerably higher and that is indeed an accomplishment.

My saw buying and selling is currently on hold because of health problems and the fact that my wife and I are planning to move to another residence if/when we find one that suits us. I'm not wanting to add more items to have to move to a possibly smaller place. I'm currently getting rid of items that I haven't touched in the last 10 years when the weather allows. Not saying I might not be tempted if I saw a real nice saw at a bargain price, just not actively searching...

Husky 51 is a little heavier than the 350, but the muffler bolts on the 350 keep coming loose and have received hundreds of complaints. The 51 and the 353 do not have this problem, but finding a 353 these days is virtually impossible.
I found a husky 353 for $250

Still plenty of free or cheap saws out there if you're patient and don't mind a little wrenching on simple machines...
I have to agree, lots of people just look at them as chainsaws and don't pay much attention to what kind of saw it is. I took in several freebies this last year, mostly Homelite Super EZs and a 150. They didn't need much to get them going. I sold them for not a whole lot more than I paid for them, kept one of the EZs just for old times sake...If I was into Weed Eaters I could have my whole garage full of them...

I have to agree, lots of people just look at them as chainsaws and don't pay much attention to what kind of saw it is. I took in several freebies this last year, mostly Homelite Super EZs and a 150. They didn't need much to get them going. I sold them for not a whole lot more than I paid for them, kept one of the EZs just for old times sake...If I was into Weed Eaters I could have my whole garage full of them...
Tell me about it...
20190304_182532.jpg

You should have seen the back of my truck last time I went to an auction...whole bunch of saws and if I remember right most were at $8 apiece. Bought a couple of 30" or so new old stock McCulloch bars which I sold almost immediately..I could have bought more of the Mac bars but was afraid nobody would want them...boy was I wrong!

You should have seen the back of my truck last time I went to an auction...whole bunch of saws and if I remember right most were at $8 apiece. Bought a couple of 30" or so new old stock McCulloch bars which I sold almost immediately..I could have bought more of the Mac bars but was afraid nobody would want them...boy was I wrong!
I work most Saturday mornings. It keeps me out of trouble;)

Back