Which saws would you want?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm.....with as many saws that I own it's more of which one do I want to use, but for small to medium size cutting, I usually grab my MM"d Echo CS400, CS510 or my CS520, bigger stuff, modded Husky 61's, one with a 272 topend and one with a 268 topend, Mac 7-10, 10-10S, even bigger, Husky 371XP, 181SE, biggest, Husky 394XP.....I have many others, but they are mostly shelf Queens.....:)

Nobody is going old school? Alright fine I will.
16" to 20"- McCulloch 7-10a
20" to 24"- Mcculloch pro mac 850
24" and up- Mcculloch super pro 125
I'm still waiting to find the last one.
ADLM

Since you asked, Homelite XL923 with 16"-30", Super 1050 Automatic with 24"-36", and 7-29 gear drive with 42". But, to be honest, I usually grab the FarmBoss 290 with 18" or the 660 with 25"-36" just because they are in the garage. All of the old Homelites are in my shed, and it takes longer to walk out there and climb over all the XL12's laying all over the floor. I just gave a friend a Homelite C5. Within a couple weeks he had it purring, with a new 30" bar and milling chain. We were milling the first slab and all was going really well when the saw cut off, the plug wire pulled out of the coil. I gave him a new coil and a couple feet of plug wire, so he should have it purring again, soon. He keeps asking if I'll take anything for the saw, or can he do something in trade. I might let him take my C72 and tinker with it. If you check my avatar, that's the 1050 I used for milling. I bought the new 660 to give the 1050 a well deserved break. Actually, I was giving me a break. The 100CC 1050 with no comp release could be a SOB to pull, and if it kicked back, it would take your fingers with it. So, now I just look at the 1050, smile, pat it on the power head, and grab the 660, Joe.

Since you asked, Homelite XL923 with 16"-30", Super 1050 Automatic with 24"-36", and 7-29 gear drive with 42". But, to be honest, I usually grab the FarmBoss 290 with 18" or the 660 with 25"-36" just because they are in the garage. All of the old Homelites are in my shed, and it takes longer to walk out there and climb over all the XL12's laying all over the floor. I just gave a friend a Homelite C5. Within a couple weeks he had it purring, with a new 30" bar and milling chain. We were milling the first slab and all was going really well when the saw cut off, the plug wire pulled out of the coil. I gave him a new coil and a couple feet of plug wire, so he should have it purring again, soon. He keeps asking if I'll take anything for the saw, or can he do something in trade. I might let him take my C72 and tinker with it. If you check my avatar, that's the 1050 I used for milling. I bought the new 660 to give the 1050 a well deserved break. Actually, I was giving me a break. The 100CC 1050 with no comp release could be a SOB to pull, and if it kicked back, it would take your fingers with it. So, now I just look at the 1050, smile, pat it on the power head, and grab the 660, Joe.
Ik the feeling I had a few saws with enough compression they would buck me when I tried to start em, so I bought some stihl 460 rescue D ring handles, they work like a charm. But as far as a day of firewood cutting goes I usually bring my 029 super with everything else just because it needs some love too.
ADLM

Pics at least. Video if possible. If your profile pic is your old lady let her hold the 250.:)

Here you go...

RMcRCUi.jpg

rsIPtgh.jpg

Saved best for last... here it is running. Been over a year sitting and took about 45 minutes of fiddling around with it to get it to run on its own. Longer it sits... longer time and more priming (use premix in an oiler can, not starting fluid) it takes to get it to go.

Latest posts

Back