which splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cope45

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Not sure which splitter to go with,,22 huskee or the 21 mtd? Both machines have decent reviews.anyone with info will hep

The Huskee's wheels are out of the way. The MTD has the wheels right where you'd be standing

Is there a height difference? How about a cycle time difference? I would always go with the taller faster one.

Forget the MTD, and that is an opinion based upon real life experience. Here is just one link to get you going.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/173407.htm

The problem with the MTD/Troybilt/any other box store name splitter made by MTD is the weak point where the cylinder is held to the mount with the trunnions. Mine slap blew up in my face

185600d1306702313-splitter-jpg

to make matters worse, it generally doesnt happen until your warranty is expired. Google the term "Troybilt log splitter blow outs" or "Troybilt log splitter cylinder issues" and you will find plenty to read about.

Not saying that it WILL happen to yours, but here is the point. If it happens, the cylinder is expensive to replace, right around $500. Because of the mount design, you cant just run over to TSC or NT and get you a new cylinder.Gotta find another source or go right to MTD, and like I said, they are spendy.

to top it off, plan on making some serious changes to your splitter if you buy one. The log cradles are a joke, I tore both of mine off the first day with logs, and most folks who have owned one of these units will agree with me. Pure junk.

The hydraulic filter is right in line to drop a round on it. Bust it off, you are looking at getting the mount replaced and they arent cheap as well.

The directional valve is flimsy at best. In cold weather it wont stay in the return position unless you hold it, and it will continue to snap back until the fluid warms up.Pain in the butt if you live in a cold climate.

The plastic fenders are flimsy, and to make matters worse, the bracket that holds them up are just as cheap. they have a couple of bolts that go through the fender and the mount, and the end of the bolt points to the tires. Bend that fender down just a little bit and the bolt is now sticking in the tire. Forget to bend that fender back up before you move the splitter and you end up cutting a groove in the tire. Its almost 300 feet from the shop to the tractor shed, and one day I forgot to bend the fenders back up as several rounds had hit the fenders bending them down into the tires. By the time I dragged that splitter back to the shed, the fender bolts had cut a groove all the way through the tire. Ended up having to replace the tire because of it.

Do yourself a favor, and save a few bucks. Run down to TSC and get you a Speeco 22 ton for less money, and have twice the machine. If you want a bigger machine than a 22 ton, Rock over at Omni manufacturing has some great deals on Speeco splitters with free freight. Tell him Ed from Newport sent you.

He is right stay away from box store stuff.I had an MTD I nicknamed it the Yard Toilet all it did was break.

thanx for the input,,i think that the husk. is my choice... 2 more questions; where would the warranty work be done and is this thing american made??

I use a 22 ton Huskee. It has served me well so far with only minor issues.
I don't really care for the B&S engine at 6 HP. Could use a bit more. When splitting some nasty elm I get a little oil burn. She has to work to hard on the tough stuff. (about two years old)
The filter is under the "axle"/hydraulic tank and if you tow it behind your vehicle and run over a dead coon your filter is likley to go capoot.
When you go vertical with the splitter the base is pretty small and you have to hold the round on it as you move the cylinder. I tend to split them in half (big ones) and then flip it horizontal to finish it.
Cycle time is 14 seconds I think.
I would recomend it but just go easy on the big nasties so you don't jack you rmotor!

thanx for the input,,i think that the husk. is my choice... 2 more questions; where would the warranty work be done and is this thing american made??

Hi Cope:

Not very much is made in America these days. Just bought a brand new Dodge Ram 1500 and it had a sticker on it that said "Assembled in Mexico".

If you want "Made in America", check out the Iron & Oak 15 ton for $999 including free shipping. It's a nice splitter with a short 8 second cycle time. Iron & Oak has an excellent reputation.

Iron and Oak 15 Ton Horizontal Log Splitter | Wood Splitter | Iron & Oak

Another one I'd check out is the Powerhorse 20 ton (horizontal only) two-way (splits in both directions) splitter from Northern Tool for $949. This one is almost definitely NOT made in America, but it seems to be a nice splitter with some nice features. Splitting on both the extend and retract stroke should speed things up considerably. Check out the video.

[video]http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200394095_200394095[/video]

I don't have a gas splitter. I have a Ryobi 4 ton electric from Home Depot for $299. Don't let its diminutive size and tonnage fool ya. This sucker has split virtually everything I've thrown at it. Most of my stuff is 16" to 18", but I've split some 28"+ stuff with it. We all get some a that real hard gnarly stuff, but that's the exception for me. I get my wood from the Nicolet National forest in Northeast Wisconsin and very, very rarely get anything I can't split. The nice thing about Home Depot is they let me take it home and try it, and said I could bring it back if I didn't like it. Well that was 7 years and 50 cords ago. It's a keeper.

4-Ton Electric Log Splitter-RY49701 at The Home Depot

Here's a guy splitting a 25" Maple with the Ryobi. I've split lots of stuff that big.

[video=youtube;0lVtwFGuGqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lVtwFGuGqc[/video]

Here's a guy that put his Ryobi on a table. That's what I did. But I also built a table to hold the rounds to be split. I just roll the rounds on to the Ryobi and split away. Cycle time is around 10 seconds. With my "system", I can split a face cord, by myself, in 45 minutes. For the kind of wood I split, I could easily keep up with any standard hydraulic splitter, no matter the size. The only thing that would beat me is a kinetic splitter.

[video=youtube;gophm8tGHMc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gophm8tGHMc[/video]

Well, this should give ya some food for thought. You may not be as big a splitter as you think. Then again, you may need an even bigger splitter. It all depends on your situation.

Don <><

This is the kind of stuff I generally split.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Save your money...buy a Timberwolf TW1 with the optional 4 way wedge and be done with it...

Dont buy anything less or your wasteing your money!

I sell Timberwolf and I work on the MTD/SPEECO/Northern ones...

I will say this...thanks to those other brands, my family will always have food on the table...;)

Personally, I'd stay away from duel splitters...that being horizontal/vertical. I would suggest getting one with a log lift instead. Try kneeling down for a few hours running one in the vertical position. Or....switching between the two positions. With a log lift, you can bring the log up to the splitter, use the lift as a shelf, and you're not working on your knees.

Regards,

Dan

Splitters

All my splitters are from Ramsplitter and I have put them thru terrible conditions have split thousands of ranks of firewood . Only problem blew the filter off, blew a closed nipple, bent my split. Miner things since I put them the hardest conditions. His service is great a little slow but Doug gets it straightened up I have a 20 to it was a three point I put it on a table in my shop and put a three hp electric motor on it 220 though. Bought a 20 ton that stays on my tractor for traveling. My nab or built me a 30 ton off of there 20 ton but doubled the parts. It is a three point also. Give Doug a call great fellow.

Splitters

All my splitters are from Ramsplitter and I have put them thru terrible conditions have split thousands of ranks of firewood . Only problem blew the filter off, blew a closed nipple, bent my split. Miner things since I put them the hardest conditions. His service is great a little slow but Doug gets it straightened up I have a 20 to it was a three point I put it on a table in my shop and put a three hp electric motor on it 220 though. Bought a 20 ton that stays on my tractor for traveling. My nab or built me a 30 ton off of there 20 ton but doubled the parts. It is a three point also. Give Doug a call great fellow.

Latest posts

Back