Which Stihl 250/270/260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I guess I'll toss in another 2 cents:

Sawtroll - I know you know your stuff but I have to tell you there WAS a husky 454. It was a 45cc saw, usually came wearing a 15 inch b/c. I think it was considered towards the higher end of homeowner saws. I have no doubt they may also have made a 444, but I assure you the starter cover and owners manual for my old saw said 454.

There is no dolmar dealer within hours of my home (prince edward island) so there's no way I'm buying the 5100. The nearest Makita dealer is 2 hours away so in terms of parts I'm a little leary of buying a Makita.

The more I think of it I did NOT like the attitude of the jonsered dealer. He told me Stihl is on their way out of the saw market..... doesn't seem right as he had 4 saws in stock and the stihl dealer had about 20. He also said it's hard to get parts for Stihls, which I find odd as there are 2 Stihl dealers within an hour of here and he's the only Jonsered dealer and he told me he doesn't stock parts because it's a waste of his money. There is no way I'ld buy a saw from that joker, he seemed like he didn't want my business. Oh ya, and one of his selling features for the 2150 was that it had chain adjustment on the side of the saw and it came with .325 chain.... isn't that like saying "buy this car, it has tires and a steering wheel!" I must also add that the Stihl dealer told me I should check out Jonsered and Husky to see what they had to offer.... now I see why he was no nervous to send me to see his competition. I always respect a salesman who is not afraid of his competition and am weary of a salesman who openly bashes his. I'm pretty busy today with school work so I don't know if I'll make it to the husky dealer today or tomorrow. He has a good reputation in the community and I know he also carries a lot of used saws. The stihl dealer I was at only handles new saws.

Oh and on the price front you guys will get a roar out of this..... my friend's dad has a husky 353 which he bought a couple years ago for $750, seems expensive right?.... wait for the punchline..... HE WAS THE AUTHORIZED HUSKY DEALER FOR OUR TOWN AT THAT TIME!!!!!! Just imagine what he was selling them to customers for if his cost was 750!!!!

Oh ya one more funny thing.... I asked the Jonny Red dealer if $619 was his best price on the 2150 and he said he couldn't come down on price but was willing to throw in the t-handle wrench (shouldn't this come with a new saw anyway?) AND a bottle of 2 cycle mix oil. And was willing to think about giving me a discount on a file and would handle any warranty work I needed, as long as it wasn't on part of the saw "I broke".

Man, what was I thinking. I need to go back there and jump on that deal before someone else does. Maybe if I'm really nice to the dealer he will give me the saw for the price he said yesterday and not put it up any.

Oh and on the price front you guys will get a roar out of this..... my friend's dad has a husky 353 which he bought a couple years ago for $750, seems expensive right?.... wait for the punchline..... HE WAS THE AUTHORIZED HUSKY DEALER FOR OUR TOWN AT THAT TIME!!!!!! Just imagine what he was selling them to customers for if his cost was 750!!!!

Hello Canada, Sweden here:

Just to make you feel a little bit better about the 353 price: I just looked up what the cheapest 353 would cost here (6 500:), and by todays Google-rate on money it would be around 1089 CAD or 1104 USD...

Oh ya one more funny thing.... I asked the Jonny Red dealer if $619 was his best price on the 2150 and he said he couldn't come down on price but was willing to throw in the t-handle wrench (shouldn't this come with a new saw anyway?) AND a bottle of 2 cycle mix oil. And was willing to think about giving me a discount on a file and would handle any warranty work I needed, as long as it wasn't on part of the saw "I broke".

Man, what was I thinking. I need to go back there and jump on that deal before someone else does. Maybe if I'm really nice to the dealer he will give me the saw for the price he said yesterday and not put it up any.
I paid 600.00 cad for my 2159 + GST. I would think about getting one from the States you won't get a Stihl but maybe a Internet search you will find a Jred or Dolmar or Husky still available some will still ship them. The only problem is warranty work.But you will save big time.

Hello Canada, Sweden here:

Just to make you feel a little bit better about the 353 price: I just looked up what the cheapest 353 would cost here (6 500:), and by todays Google-rate on money it would be around 1089 CAD or 1104 USD...

About 6500 here as well, but usually you can get them at a campaign price of just under 5,000 NOK......

....the MS260pro is just over 5,000 - and the 346xp just under 7,000 (on "eternal" campaign as well).

Last edited:
Okay was too busy to make it to husky today because of school work (trying to finish up university now so I don't have to pay for next semester $$$). I've had the blues lately and am looking to treat myself for all my hard work... If I buy a MS 361 will I be happier and would I hurt this saw any if sometimes all I do is light limbing, as sometimes I will inevietably need to limb and if I buy the 361 it will be my only saw.

No and with light use the 361 would probably last you a lifetime. I would expect 2000 hours if you take good care of it. It is always better to have too much saw than not enough and the 361 can do everything well unless your cutting monster trees that require 28"+ bars. I might add that you can get a 372xp for around the same price as a 361 in most cases but it may be too much saw for your needs and is heavier than the 361. It would make better sense to get a good 50cc saw ms260 346xp 5100 and later if you require something bigger you have a nice limbing saw to back it up when you get tired. That is the problem I have with a 60cc saw. It makes a great all around saw but later a 50cc saw is pretty close and so is a 70cc saw. CAD justifies this though.

Last edited:
Okay was too busy to make it to husky today because of school work (trying to finish up university now so I don't have to pay for next semester $$$). I've had the blues lately and am looking to treat myself for all my hard work... If I buy a MS 361 will I be happier and would I hurt this saw any if sometimes all I do is light limbing, as sometimes I will inevietably need to limb and if I buy the 361 it will be my only saw.

I often use my 361 as a limbing saw, with a 15" bar and 3/8x8....

Alright, made it out to the husky dealer...

353G for $600
357XP for $700
346XP for $650

I'm basically thinking that the 357 might be too heavy to lug around all the time, but then again it might not.

I'm most seriously considering:
353 for $600, 1 year warantee
Stihl MS 260 for $550, 2 years warantee
MS 250 for $380, 2 year warantee.

I think it's basically between the 250/260 ALTHOUGH in the community both dealers have good reputations for service, but the husky dealer has a reputation for going above and beyond the call of duty (free labor on small jobs, lends out his saw if your saw breaks and you need a saw that day, etc.)

Thoughts? My trip to the husky dealer confirmed that I'm not going Jonsered, as I'ld rather pay 20$ less for a 353 than for a 2150.

353G for $600
357XP for $700
346XP for $650

I'm basically thinking that the 357 might be too heavy to lug around all the time, but then again it might not.

I think it's basically between the 250/260 ALTHOUGH in the community both dealers have good reputations for service, but the husky dealer has a reputation for going above and beyond the call of duty (free labor on small jobs, lends out his saw if your saw breaks and you need a saw that day, etc.)

Thoughts? My trip to the husky dealer confirmed that I'm not going Jonsered, as I'ld rather pay 20$ less for a 353 than for a 2150.

Get the 260, very powerful and reliable.

I'd choose the 353, and in Canada it has a two year warranty. Only XP's have a one year warranty all the other models have two years.

The 260 is a good saw but not anywhere near a NE 346 or the 5100.

What is the prices for MS260 / 346 / 5100 in Canada ? The 353 is also a better saw than the 260 so if you can get that one for less money, go for it.

353G for $600
357XP for $700
346XP for $650

Wow, crazy husky prices.:dizzy: Go with the 250 or 260 if you feel the dealer will treat you good. The 346 is nice but it's no 260, not worth the extra $100 more, imo.

Latest posts

Back