which Stihl model is it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLA

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New guy here. Can any of you Stihl experts tell me if there are any visual differences between a 440 Mag vs the 460 Mag? My friend just snagged one out of the pawn shop today but the model number tag is missing from the top cover. The filter cover still has the "Magnum" decal. The saw has the new style filler caps, comp release, single inner dog, and 4 bolt muffler cover. It's smaller than the 660 for sure and larger than the 260 .... has to be one of the above models .... yes? I told him to grab it or I would .... hope I gave him good advice. Just like to know for sure which model it is. Would the serial number be any help ...... #160399972. Pawn shop thought it was a model 048 .... it's much newer than that.

Welcome to the site.
There is one thing toy can look at. The air filter cover on the MS 440 is smaller than the MS 460. The MS 440's air filter cover approx. 3 inches long from top to bottom and the MS 460's air filter cover is closer to 5 inches in lenght. That is the easiest way I can thing of right off. When I get to my shop in the morning I will try the serial number if noone else has not done so. :D

Here's a 440 (in front) and a 460 (rear).

attachment.php

Aside from the filter cover difference shown in FHCW's pics, it also has the model # on the white/yellow sticker if it's still on the handle bottom plate. just have to "read the fine print" ;)

Wow, you guys are fast. Going by the pictures posted (thanks), his air filter cover is smooth on the sides, it doesn't have that raised rib detail like the picture of the 440. It's not as quite as clean as those pictured but it's not bad. It's suffered a little abuse or an accident in the past. It has a small crack in the top cover which is probably why the model tag popped out, clutch cover is cracked too. Bottom of saw looks nice with not much wear, almost all the paint remains on the present 20" Stihl bar. It started right up, revs up fast, idles good and chain brake works well. Anyway ... he parted with $300.00 + tax .... $319.00 total. Thought that was pretty good for either model. In comparison they also had a 290 Farm Boss in there with case, looked hardly used but still it was $459.00 .... can buy a brand new 290 at the dealer down the street for $359.99 list. It's pretty hard to find any "deals" in pawn shops around here .... maybe we got lucky this time. Still a used saw, time will tell how it holds up. Replace the top and clutch cover and it will look very good. So, assuming the air filter cover hasn't been swapped it sounds like it's probably the MS460.

I type too slow. Thanks for the tip about the white/yellow handle bottom sticker. It's still on there, all the decals are still on the saw with the exception of the model tag. I tried to read that writing on the handle, didn't have my glasses with me. I'll let him know it should have the model written on that label.

You can't swap the covers. The ridge on the 440 cover is the actual cover itself. It's that short. Everything forward and below the ridge is part of the saw. I remember seeing a different filter base/cover set up in the IPL that looks different, and I can't remember which model of 044/440 is was for, but I've not seen one in actuality that I recall. So basically, don't worry about it! Nevermind.

Sounds like a great find.
FHCW: Great looking pictures. Good to see others that take care of the equipment. :biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back