Which Stihl saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am officially gonna end this post (as far as I'm concerned). I have placed my order for 2 saws: 1) MS440 w/20" bar 2)MS260 pro w/16" bar. My minds made up, if I've made bad choices oh well. I want to thank everyone for the info, you can bet I will be no stranger to this site!!! Thanks , Mike

Those will serve you well. Glad to see you made a good decision and are getting 2 saws that fit the roles you need them to rather than having 2 that are too close together and try to fill the same role. I doubt anyone will disagree saying you've made a bad choice, although they may suggest saws that they prefer that would work equally well but fill the same roles.

Mike367 said:
I am officially gonna end this post (as far as I'm concerned). I have placed my order for 2 saws: 1) MS440 w/20" bar 2)MS260 pro w/16" bar. My minds made up, if I've made bad choices oh well. I want to thank everyone for the info, you can bet I will be no stranger to this site!!! Thanks , Mike

Good Job!! great choice of bar size too. that's exactly what I run.

440 will handle 24in bar with no problems should you decide to get a larger bar later. I find 20in bar on 460 feels better for all around duties. west coast folks will differ :D

I echo Dan's recommendation on the 3/8 chain for both saws. You will never get the wrong chain on the wrong bar; and, its cheaper to just buy one type chain if you are getting a roll of chain too. The speed difference on the 260 between .325 and 3/8 is so small only a contest guy would know the difference I think. I use 3/8 .050 chain on all my Stihl saws. But the dealer will probably try to sell you the .325 x .063 chain for the 260. Its your money and your choice, I'd go for 3/8 on both.

Tom

TreeCo said:
A 20" bar may sound like a bit much on an 026......but it's not for cutting wood that big.........it's for reach when limbing. A 16" bar on that 026 will have you bending over a lot more than a 20" will.

Dan
I'll have to disagree with Dan. A 16" on your 026 is perfect for your situation. I'm making the assumption that you're new to chainsaws, no? A common mistake many beginners make is not paying attention to the tip of their saw, and all it takes is one lapse of attention and that tip can be flying at your head faster than you can blink. This is only exacerbated by a longer bar, especially when your cutting limbs close together. Not only does the longer bar increase the kickback force when the tip is caught, it makes catching the tip more likely. It's easy to pay attention to the one you're cutting and miss the trunk right behind that will snag the tip. You're going to be bending over no matter what size bar you get, so I wouldn't factor that into the decision. Not to mention, an 026 will balance quite nose heavy with the longer bar--that's something that drives me nuts.

046 said:
Good Job!! great choice of bar size too. .......
Agree - I am pretty sure that a longer bar will slow the (unmodified) 260 down even in small wood - as will a 3/8" pitch chain (& bar).
You have chosen a very sensible combo to start with, and after a while you will have your own experiences to base the need for any additions or changes on.

Make sure your chain is either RSC or RS.

When it is time for a new bar on the 260, you should consider getting .325 narrow kerf (NK) bar & chain, but those are not availiable from Stihl. :umpkin:

Last edited:
Excellent choices Mike367. You have chosen two of the best saws on the market in my opinion.

I`m going to pretty much stay out of the bar/chain argument, atleast I`m going to try. TreeCo makes an excellent point about reach and universal bar/chain combos, but spacemule is spot on with the balance issue. Seeing as how your are woodlotting and presumably taking the top wood also, I`d definitely consider the reach issue. Remember that it is easier and faster to block the limbwood in the air while it`s still attached to the trunk. Just be prepared to put that long barred beast down so that the chain doesn`t contact dirt and rocks.

Russ

16in bar is just right for my 026. running 20in on 034 super, but probably will switch to 18in on 034.

20in feels just right for 046. 25in bar feels pretty good on 460 too.

Good luck with your new saws, and be careful. I have several 044 / 440 and they are great saws, never used a 026. Please post after a while and let us know which gets the most use.

Thanks guys for the encouragement!! I'm still in the process of looking into the property. I do have 2 trees in my yard that need to be taken down. I live in the country with A 3 acre yard and the house is far enough away. One is A big sugar maple that that the top is dying out of. I think when the town dug in my water service they cut alot of the roots and the old girl couldn't handle it. The other tree is A 60' cotton wood on the south west side of our house. The prevailing wind is from the west. Every summer our window screens fill with " cotton". Wife says it has to go. I will start another thread when I'm ready to take them down. Thanks again Mike

Mike, instead of starting a thread about removing the trees you could just hire me to do it :) I'm only a few miles away in Kendall. They sound like pretty big trees for a first timer!!!

Jeff

Hey Jeff your my neighbor :blob2: I had an estimate from another tree service in the area to take down the maple it was $950 to take down ,clean up, haul away and grind stump. Not sure if this is in the ball park as i only got 1 estimate. The maple is near the road but my road only sees about 5 cars A day. I was gonna drop it early on A sunday morning then quickly drag it out of the road with my pickup. Maybe what I will do is have A pro drop the tress and secure the area then I will cut them up and clean up. send A private message Jeff if interested, maybe have you over to take A look. Thanks, Mike

Maybe I misread :Eye: something here at AS, but doesn't Sugar Maple have some value for lumber? Wouldn't be the first or last time that I was wrong :dizzy: .

Myself I like the 361 alot , alot better than a 260 sure its more money but you are getting alot more saw, just muffler mod it and you will be happy

No rope?

Mike367 said:
Ok guys here I go, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm getting 2 Stihl saws: MS270C with 16" bar / MS361C with 20" bar. 2 axes, some wedges, A sledge hammer, spare chains, sharpening supplies. Hard hat, ear protection, chaps, safety boots, gloves. Hook for rolling logs. What else? Mike
A length of rope to pull down the hangers you're going to have if you don't watch what your doing. Even the best hang a tree or two. The rope will allow you to stand clear of the tree you are about to pull down or tie the tree off to keep it from going the wrong way. It is also an excuse to have a few buddys around to drink beer after the work is done. "But honey I had to have them over to hold/pull the rope", which leads to why you had to buy the grill and beer for the BBQ afterwards to feed them. Now you'll be all set. Warning!!! Do Not open the beer till after the work is done or the wife will get wise to the plan if she sees you and your buddies are sitting around drinking the beer first. So save a few bucks to purchase the grill and beer, then call me.

Latest posts

Back