Which stihl saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick2752

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have about 5 acres of woods, I burn between 2 and 3 cords a year. I am looking for a saw mostly to cut up down stuff. I have an old 041 AV but it is a bear to run for very long. I was thinking of a MS026 or maybe the 028. Whats everyones opinion? Does the 026 have enough power? Is the PRO 026 worth the extra money? I think the 361 is to much saw to cut up stuff with and if I get into a big tree I have the 041, just dont really like using it all the time.

Which Stihl saw?

My neighbor has a 361 with 20" bar and it is a VERY good saw. It has another horsepower (for very nearly the same weight) as my MS290 and cost about twice as much as the MS290 3 years ago around here. As 'Joe Homeowner' (weekend occasional user doing 6 cords firewood annually), the MS290 with 18" bar has been plenty adequate. Used to cut only softer hardwoods (common maple, ash, wild cherry, etc.) and always wondered how it would do in dense stuff. This weekend I sunk it into red oak and it cut BETTER than the fibrous softer 'gopher wood'. It cannot FLY through wood like the big-HP pro saws, but with a little patience and sharp chain, it does the work. Here's a link to members' feedback on the MS290:
www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=21099&page=1&pp=15&highlight=MS290

The 290 Farm Boss is a great starter saw. I would set it up with a 16" bar. If you need to run a longer bar then maybe a 360. That is the saw I use for my mid range.

How large is the wood you're cutting? If you've got alot of 8" dia trees then a 260 would be more than adequate, even up to wood in the 16"+ range. Anything beyond that, and the 361 comes into it's own. I run mine in 20"-24" timber, and I feel it's suited ideally to that range and below. Get the 361, and you'll not need a smaller saw, and you'll never pick up your 041 again...you won't need or want to.

Jeff

I have owned the Stihl Farm Boss with 20" bar for about 5 years now and have been using it to clear on our 80 acres. Mostly used on Madrone hardwood. Other than the weight I have absolutely NO ISSUES with it. Do consider how many hours you will be using it and on what terrain. Weight does matter. Stay away from the Stihl 170, it is too small/cheap and is a very poor representation of Stihl products.

Back