which to keep? ms310 or 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have inherited these 2 saws and was wanting opnions on which to keep? I cut roughly 6 cords a year for home heating, I have an 038 magnum I keep for bigger stuff but am having a tough time choosing between the 2, any thoughts?

Thanks,Rick

It is not a super, just the 034 AV, I was using an 028 super, but it was always bogging down in the Hedge and Oak I was cutting, I got lucky with these, I also got an 039, but it seems a little to heavy for an everyday saw.

I would dump the plastic homeowner 310 and 039 and keep the professional 034 and 038 mag. If you ever need to repair them, they are much easier to work on.
BTW... 038 magnums are a great saw. Is it a straight Magnum or a MAG II? I just love the sound of the straight magnum's dual port.:rock:

It is just a straight mangnum, and I love that saw. Can you upgrade the 034 to an 036 P&Cyl. if and when the time comes? If so I think that will be my best bet just to keep the 034.

While I know the 029 and 039 are basically the same saw,same weight and all,the 039 of course has more power.I think the 039 is on par at power to weight.I had one with a 16" bar that would absolutely eat trees.The 029 is well below par,but a pretty reliable saw none the less.Ive owned 2 034s through the years.IMO they are some of the best balanced saws ever built,and not to far off from the 036 power wise

It is just a straight mangnum, and I love that saw. Can you upgrade the 034 to an 036 P&Cyl. if and when the time comes? If so I think that will be my best bet just to keep the 034.

Yes, an 036 cylinder will fit, you may need to either plug the decomp hole, or drill a hole in your top if ya want it...

How much lighter is the 034 than the 038 mag? I've also got an 038 mag, and it's a pig, so I usually try to pair it up with something small and light (026pro). I feel like the 034 might not be a very big step down in weight reduction, for sacrificing almost one pony in power. If the 028 super failed to impress, I'm not sure the 034 is the cure...
Sell em' both and get what you want! ;)

An 034 has quite a bit more grunt in the cut than an 028. It's also as light or lighter than an 028. An 038M is a good running saw, but still not a saw I want to take to work.

Selling all of those saws and opting for a good used or new ms362 would be a great idea. I like the 362 alot better than the 361, JMO. A 362 is a great running saw once broken in.

I think I'd just keep the 034 though. And yea, like Nmurph and a few others said, the 036 cylinder will fit and bolt up with only a slight mod to the cylinder fins. You can either plug the decomp like SkippyKTM said, or drill or replace the top cover. Then you would basically have a 361. With occasional use only though, the 034 will probably always run for you.

If you are looking to get rid of a good 034, I will happily relieve you of it. I figure that old thing is worth 75 bucks, tops.

I think that if you make about 10 cuts with a 034, and then ten cuts with the ms310, and then ten more cuts with the 034, you'll know which saw to keep.

310 is a perfectly good saw, but the 34 is a badass machine.

Back