Which wood dries the fastest??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonhudd

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to cut some more firewood, I cut some red oak and some other kind of oak (i think) back around thanksgiving, but I am worried it is not going to be dry by next winter. I was wandering if there were any particular type that I could try and find that I could cut and split that would be ready by next winter? I was also wanting to know if anybody uses scrape building wood like 2x4's etc... for kindling.

I have some sassafras and some maple that seasoned up really fast.

Beech also dries pretty fast.
I'm planning to get a load asap and split it very thin, to start with it next year if I don't have an alternative.

I would buy some but I just dont think that I could buy seasoned wood and really know that I am getting truley seased wood.

If your red oak was dead some if it may already be dry especially any limbs and higher up on the tree if it was still up. If it was down depending on how long it was down it may dry in plenty of time for next year. If its dead but standing the closer you get to the stump wetter/greener it gets and longer it takes to dry.

I love oak limbs that are high up in a standing tree that's dead. Usually RTB(ready to burn).

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers

I've burned a lot of standing dead red oak in a year, year and a half time with no problems at all. The key is more where you have it stacked. Mine gets a lot of wind and sun so it dries the wood out fairly quickly. it will help if you keep the top of the wood stack covered with a tarp or something to keep the rain and snow off it.

Cherry and maple I've had really good luck with drying quickly.

Yeah I don't have my stacks covered now and I think that I probably need to have them covered. I am also going to have to buy some kind of book on tree ID because I can only tell the difference between a pine tree and not a pine tree right now, lol

Fastest kinds I have tried have been, ash, sycamore, silver maple.

If your oak is split small right away, and in neat stacks in the sun, you will probably be ok. It is climate dependent, but all of the yankees always seem to want two years, I have never had trouble getting my oak dry in one year, but our summers are really hot and long, so that makes a difference.

Dan

Everything will be ready next winter, Except the oak. so cut anything but the oak and you will be fine.

Ash can be burned green. Split the center (oldest part without bark) out and set aside. That will be the driest. In a pinch I have burn ash centers green and it doesn't even sizzle.

grandad used to quote a poem

that ended most verses with something like "ash wood green and ash wood brown, is fit to warm a queen with a crown".
Another ended "any kind of wood split fine, makes old man winter whine".

Just a thought, most anything split small enough will burn, like steel wool and water molecules split into hydrogen and oxygen (not sure but I doubt even the X27 can do that).:laugh:

Last edited:
If you stack it in single rows it should dry quickly and if you stack on pallets then leave the middle row empty. Stack on front and back of pallet and that way the air can flow through both sides and will dry faster.

Latest posts

Back