Which Worx saw to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atikovi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a corded electric model and see the Worx line has the good ratings and the most power of the consumer models. They have the 16 inch 3.5HP rated WG303 model for $75 delivered or the 18 inch 4 HP rated WG304 for $96? And is the 18 incher being discontinued as it's not on their website?

Just curious, why do you want electric? I would get a cheap box store gas saw before I bought electric. If they are maintained and used lightly, even the cheapest gas saw will last a long long time.

If you need electric, I guess I would just buy whatever is least expensive. Can probably pick up a used one on CL for next to nothing.

My Dad bought one at a garage sale for five bucks. I had to use it last time we were visiting to help him trim a large spruce. I literally laughed out loud when making my first cut with it. By the second cut the laughter had stopped and I was looking for a good spot to throw it.

Just curious, why do you want electric? I would get a cheap box store gas saw before I bought electric. If they are maintained and used lightly, even the cheapest gas saw will last a long long time.

If you need electric, I guess I would just buy whatever is least expensive. Can probably pick up a used one on CL for next to nothing.

I don't want to hassle with having to gas it up, mix oil, adjust and clean spark plugs and the carb, hope it starts after not being used 6 months, etc. when it's just for occasional use other than the current use which is to cut up a huge limb that fell recently. I have an electric Remington pole saw that I've been using but at 10 inches I'll need something more for the thicker end. It's taken everthing I tossed it and still cuts great.

The sellers on CL want $50 for a used saw I can buy new with a warranty at H.D. for $75 so with the cost of gas to drive out there I'm not saving much.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Hey now, 4HP (peak obviously) doesn't have to be that bad.

I mean think about some of the power tools around that are pushing 2+ HP. My router is 2.25HP and spins past 20k. Shop Vacs are beyond 3HP and spin at a decent speed. A good electric chainsaw can be made, but the real question is the Worx unit for less than $100 it...

Honestly, I've never ran an electric one. But for $100 I doubt it'd do much more than light pruning and small limbs. Pull an 18" chain/bar...yeah probably not unless those rakers are set really high. Now a 14" bar/chain with the thinnest kerf chain it might possibly work alright.

Besides HP rating in electric units is really over rated. Electric motors really shine at torque. Depending on motor design and complexity you could get a really compact electric unit spinning an 18" bar/chain setup just as easily as any 50CC saw...only problem would be the fact it'd cost you as much if not more than a 50CC saw.

Look at the new brushless motor drills, lighter, smaller, and better on battery life. The trade off is more electronics to break.

Hey now, 4HP (peak obviously) doesn't have to be that bad.

I mean think about some of the power tools around that are pushing 2+ HP. My router is 2.25HP and spins past 20k. Shop Vacs are beyond 3HP and spin at a decent speed. A good electric chainsaw can be made, but the real question is the Worx unit for less than $100 it...

Honestly, I've never ran an electric one. But for $100 I doubt it'd do much more than light pruning and small limbs. Pull an 18" chain/bar...yeah probably not unless those rakers are set really high. Now a 14" bar/chain with the thinnest kerf chain it might possibly work alright.

Besides HP rating in electric units is really over rated. Electric motors really shine at torque. Depending on motor design and complexity you could get a really compact electric unit spinning an 18" bar/chain setup just as easily as any 50CC saw...only problem would be the fact it'd cost you as much if not more than a 50CC saw.

Look at the new brushless motor drills, lighter, smaller, and better on battery life. The trade off is more electronics to break.

an electric motor that could run a saw in a fashion that would be equivalent to a good 2 stroke would be twice as heavy as the equivalent gas saw. I used to install 5 HP motors for genset fans that were 40lb motors. HP for electric stuff is just one small part of the motors specs.

These electric saws on the market now suck. Chain speed is so slow it causes problems pruning small branches. You have to pull the trigger then pour yourself a cup of coffee while you wait for it to spool up. After finishing a cut you have to wait for the chain to slow down again. Very slow tool to work with, and more dangerous in my opinion.

Worx brand saw? Easy answer... none. Go find a used corded Dolmar/Makita or Husqvarna/Jonsered. Failing that even a Poulan/Craftsman corded will serve you better.

I have the worx 16" saw. It's not bad for a homeowner who needs to maintain a certain level of sound output. Go watch some youtube videos of how it performs.

If you have a small tree or two to deal with, it is a cheap solution. If you need it frequently, or you have to cut some larger trees, go with a gas saw.

I only see one advantage to an electric chainsaw,and that is simply the fact it dont need ethanol gas.I do remember using an old Remington electric saw,which wasnt to bad.But that was in shop class in school and the only gas saw I had ever used was a super 2 Homelite

Nah electric saws could beat gas powered easy, if anyone would care to invest in R&D and actually build a saw for a few hundred $. But its not common that you need a chainsaw and have an outlet near by.

I have an electric chainsaw i got for free. Doesn't cut that bad with the picco chain and 14" bar, but i run it once a year or something. Its not for bigger jobs, and if its just a cut or two i don't want to unwind and rewind the extension cord. =) Did cut some small firewood at the summer house a few times. (2-3" poles and branches). The nice thing about it its really silent and just sips a bit of oil, not much maintenance required. I can pick it up after a few years and its going to run. :)

Latest posts

Back