Whip on 346 xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluenose

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anybody drilled and put a whip on 346xp? It looks like there is a divider that stops the gas tank from reaching the back of the handle, but I thought I'd ask before drilling. Or is there another way to fasten a whip on?

By whip do you mean lanyard? If so I just use a woven loop on a 3' piece of three strand arborplex with a carabiner at the opposite end. If your talking about the wire for measuring firewood then get the one that straps on to the vertical part of the handle then you wont have to drill. If there is some other kind of whip let me know or post a pic.

i agree.

By whip do you mean lanyard? If so I just use a woven loop on a 3' piece of three strand arborplex with a carabiner at the opposite end. If your talking about the wire for measuring firewood then get the one that straps on to the vertical part of the handle then you wont have to drill. If there is some other kind of whip let me know or post a pic.

I just get a $8 weaver lanyard and choke the rear handle. You can use webbing slings as well.no reason to drill anything.

What I am refering to is a plastic whip about as big around as a pencil that bolts to the rear of the saw and used to measure wood in 4' increments,...be it firewood, pulpwood, studwood or logs. It bolts to the rear of the saw and you cut whip to desired length so that the saw measures 4' from tip of bar to end of whip.

Looks like this .

910-155-G.jpg

Go to you local lawn and garden store, and pick up a couple of those 4' driveway markers. They usually come in Yellow and Orange. Use black electrical tape to mark the 2'. They are usually under $2 here, and are small enough that you can hang on to them with your left hand on the saw.

I personally would not drill holes anywhere near the tank of any of my saws.

When you're doing lots of cutting , especially for money , reaching for a measuring stick just doesn't work , the less individual items you have to move around the better . A loose driveway marker will blend in perfectly in the forest colours in the fall .

So let Me get this straight, You point the whip straight out the back of the saw to make the saw a total of 4 feet long?? Seems to me that a 4 foot long chainsaw would be awful awkwad to try and move around in the woods.

i dont know of any professional loggers , firewooder's,pulpwooder, or just anyone in general that wants a stick up there saws ass. just sayin

:popcorn::confused: we just eye ball it, 32-36" bar + power head = pretty close to 4':msp_biggrin:

It's common around here , it makes measuring as fast as you can walk , spencer tapes are not common here and 8ft/16ft are the lengths that are most commonly cut so no need for a tape .
Stihlcrazy would have more insight on this from being a pro cutter and dealing with a lot of others , this may be more of a regional thing but it is efficient .

i dont know of any professional loggers , firewooder's,pulpwooder, or just anyone in general that wants a stick up there saws ass. just sayin

It's just how it's normally done here, as dancan said it's a fast way to measure short lengths. I've only been doing it for 29 of the past 31 yrs. so maybe I'm still Amateur status but if I get this year in I'll have 30 yrs. experience so will I get my pro status then or do I have to apply for firewooder/pulpwooder card ?:msp_rolleyes:.Our saws still work the same ,you don't even notice it on there .

Yea must be a regional thing because I've never seen them around here either. Seems it would be in the way for me but if it works for you then have at it. I don't think I would drill any holes around my rear handle though. May hurt the integrity of the handle though. They are pretty easy to break anyways.

I've not seen any handles break because of the 2 holes drilled and whip attached , the whip is a soft flexible plastic that is barely stiff enough to stay straight so it will not fetch up or get in your way unless you have spaghetti arms .

Last edited:
This is frigin amazing,........I figured anybody who ever worked in the woods or owned a chainsaw knew what a whip was. They have been used around hear for atleast 35-40 years. For those of you that have never used a whip, you should try one, it makes life alot easier and faster.
In no way is a whip a problem on a saw, you don't even know it's there,... and it won't hurt the saw in any way.

Thanks anyway guys, I guess it is a regional thing. When I put one on my 346 I'll try and post a pic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back