Who is selling firewood? Questions about it...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westernmdlawn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

Just wanting to know how many of you are selling firewood and if so, what are your sales like. Are you swamped with work, struggling, in between?

Also, if you are selling, where are you located and what do you use for your operation. What are your production rates (cords / day) using what resources (x # employees, x pieces of equipment, etc.).

Thanks!

Was selling quite steadily, about 100 cord or so this year, actually since September. With oil dropping, sales have come to a screeching halt!!

In a way it isn't a bad thing as I needed to get my processor repaired, the splitter is smoked, meaning the 1" toe plate is bent, the 4x4 box tube that it is mounted on is severely cracked in multiple areas on both sides, and the c channel that it rides in is mushroomed and cracked.

Generally we buy log length, but this year it was a total b-tch to find, but I did finally get lucky and found 100 or so cord, but in the long run it ended up a pita as there was alot of broccoli, and alot of it that was just to big to run through the processor, but the positive end of it, it was logged in 08/07, so that helped alot. It has afforded me some time to get some last minute projects cleaned up, and to get ready to plow snow, if they ever get that forecast right.

As for equipment:

Stihl MS 361 - 20"
Dolmar 7900 - 24" just got this monster, but it sure does like to go through gas, but what a monster
36" hydraulic saw on the processor with .404
Timberwolf Tw-5 - with 4 way
Woodbine processor with 8 way and 24' conveyor
New Holland TN55D to run the processor
Kubota KX-121 with thumb to load the processor when available
Mustang MTL 16 to relocate the logs to the processor from the landing point
1994 GMC topkick to deliver the product

Located in Pittstown NY, about 20 minutes East of Albany, 10 minutes West of Bennington Vt.

I handle the processing and delivering with some help from my youngest son, and the better half handles the phones and scheduling.

Well right now we have sold about 50 to 55 cords and have about 7 or 8 cords to go out now. From here on out we are telling people we are out of wood because after those 7 or 8 we will probably only have around 5 left and we will sell them to repeat customers in January.

We are located in West Chester Pa. If there are four of use working we can do around 1 and a 1/4 cords an hour as long as the wood isn't huge like 4 feet in diameter or is real knotty. The only problem with us is that we only work Sunday mornings and that is why we are so far behind. And as for our equipment we use a lickety log splitter and an early 1970's 2444 international loader and we use a F350 dump truck to deliver the wood.

Latest posts

Back