Who Makes "Iron Hand" Splitters--Speeco?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigSix

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for a used log splitter, and I found one, with a Honda engine on it (Honda GX240), which I believe is an 8hp model, but it has no tags to identify it, other than the Honda GX240 sticker.

The splitter looks exactly like this one:
http://www.lolleysrental.com/detail.asp?iType=38&iAd=196

Here is what appears to be the same splitter, branded as a "Speeco," on amazon, for $2,150.:
http://www.amazon.com/Speeco-Splitter-GX240-Honda-LS25/dp/B000RO3PKQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1273221354&sr=8-2-fkmr2

The splitters cylinder has an "Iron Hand" sticker on it, but it is allegedly a replacement cylinder, on an approx. 3 yr. old. machine. It was a rental unit, so it's got some cosmetic issues, but it is priced at $800.

I am looking for any information on who makes "Iron Hand" splitters. I was told it's a "Speeco" brand, but it does not say this on it anywhere.

I am interested on how to identify this splitter's real manufacturer, and would also like to know:

1. If someone could post a link that would explain the relationship between Speeco/Iron Hand.

2. If anyone has a link to reviews of these splitters.

3. People's opinions on "Iron Hand" splitters.

4. People's opinions on "Speeco" splitters.

5. Any thoughts on the value of this splitter.

It starts right up (first pull, on the too-short starter rope) it's got a smashed fender, a sprung weld on one of the wedge guards (I weld, so not a big deal) and a flat tire. The engine sounds good, does not appear to smoke (except slightly, upon shutdown, and it did not appear to be blue and did not smell like oil). The engine has reasonable compression, albeit based on "feel"--I didn't get specs on compression yet and it certainly isn't the strongest-feeling compression, but it is decent.

I offered $500. but they're pretty firm on $800. I'm feeling that $700. is the best I'll do.

Thanks in advance!

Big Six

I saw two of the exact same splitter at a local Stihl/rental center. They look to be a fairly well built unit. I would guess Speeco is the original maker, I have pulled up pictures of the two and that is the two that are the most similiar. 800$ might be a good deal on one. The small 22 ton'ers at TSC are 1000+ tax out the door. The rental center I am refering to takes good care of their stuff and I'd not be afraid of buying one from them. JJuday

Hi all,

I am looking for a used log splitter, and I found one, with a Honda engine on it (Honda GX240), which I believe is an 8hp model, but it has no tags to identify it, other than the Honda GX240 sticker.

The splitter looks exactly like this one:
http://www.lolleysrental.com/detail.asp?iType=38&iAd=196

Here is what appears to be the same splitter, branded as a "Speeco," on amazon, for $2,150.:
http://www.amazon.com/Speeco-Splitter-GX240-Honda-LS25/dp/B000RO3PKQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1273221354&sr=8-2-fkmr2

The splitters cylinder has an "Iron Hand" sticker on it, but it is allegedly a replacement cylinder, on an approx. 3 yr. old. machine. It was a rental unit, so it's got some cosmetic issues, but it is priced at $800.

I am looking for any information on who makes "Iron Hand" splitters. I was told it's a "Speeco" brand, but it does not say this on it anywhere.

I am interested on how to identify this splitter's real manufacturer, and would also like to know:

1. If someone could post a link that would explain the relationship between Speeco/Iron Hand.

2. If anyone has a link to reviews of these splitters.

3. People's opinions on "Iron Hand" splitters.

4. People's opinions on "Speeco" splitters.

5. Any thoughts on the value of this splitter.

It starts right up (first pull, on the too-short starter rope) it's got a smashed fender, a sprung weld on one of the wedge guards (I weld, so not a big deal) and a flat tire. The engine sounds good, does not appear to smoke (except slightly, upon shutdown, and it did not appear to be blue and did not smell like oil). The engine has reasonable compression, albeit based on "feel"--I didn't get specs on compression yet and it certainly isn't the strongest-feeling compression, but it is decent.

I offered $500. but they're pretty firm on $800. I'm feeling that $700. is the best I'll do.

Thanks in advance!

Big Six

This unit is a SpeeCo. It was probably purchased by this dealer indirectly through a two step dealer Which allowed them to brand it Iron Hand. There are Speeco splitters on the market which are not branded by Speeco. i.e. Huskee (TSC) New Holland I think carries there three point version but it's painted New HOlland blue. etc...

I saw two of the exact same splitter at a local Stihl/rental center. They look to be a fairly well built unit. I would guess Speeco is the original maker, I have pulled up pictures of the two and that is the two that are the most similiar. 800$ might be a good deal on one. The small 22 ton'ers at TSC are 1000+ tax out the door. The rental center I am refering to takes good care of their stuff and I'd not be afraid of buying one from them. JJuday

JJuday,
Thank you for your help identifying the brand for me, and for your opinion on same. I also appreciate your feedback on the $800. price. I'm hoping between the sprung weld on one side of the log cradle (those two things I was calling "wedge guides"?), the punctured tire and the twisted fender, it can be had for more like $700., but we'll see.

TreePointer and Thickskin,

Thank you guys, as well, on the help with identifying the machine!

New Questions:

1. Still welcoming opinions on value--I'll take some pics (possibly today) but I'm not sure I can re-size them to fit, as I don't know how to do that.

2. Can anyone tell me the acceptable compression range for the Honda GX240?

3. The GX240 is an 8 hp. engine, right?

4. This might be a dumb question, but what is meant by "cycle time?" I'm assuming that a "12 second cycle time" = 6 seconds to extend, and 6 seconds to retract--is that right? Or do they consider one cycle to = only ONE stroke, instead of one stroke in EACH DIRECTION?

I plan on timing the cycle time when I go back, to see if it's similar to the currently-advertised spec. of 12 seconds. This machine is approx. 3 years old, but I'm getting the feeling that SpeeCo. hasn't changed them much over the years--thoughts?

Thanks again, everyone--great comments/advice!

Big Six

Compression Release Disablement?

I found what appears to be the compression specs on it: 114-170lbs.
Source: http://www.planopower.com/service/honda_service_specs_gx240-gx340.html

However, it states this measurement is taken with "Decompressor Disengaged."

I'm very familiar with old Briggs and Tecumseh engines, but not with Hondas. Could someone explain, briefly, how to disengage the compression release?

Thanks.

Big Six

Not sure about the compression release on the Honda. They are great engines though and even with all the damage you listed that wouldn't reun me off if I had a chance to buy one. If you have a welder and a torch you can fix it and or make some improvments to it. Yeah 700 would be nice, but you are the one that has to decide what you want to shell out for the unit. Just remeber what I posted earlier about the TSC unit starting at 1000.00 + tax for a 22 ton. Sometimes buying new is warranty plan enough! JJuday

I bought a new speeco 28 ton at tsc because used ones were hard to find and were just as much or more money that new. Keep in mind that most guys on here that have splitters have had them for years and years or are planning on having them for years and years so the few extra dollars for a new one todat will be cheap over the years of ownership. They always seem to hold their valve too. I see 20 year old splitters for sale for 75% of new price and they sell quickly. I could have built my own and I already own 3 other splitters but I decided to get a new one. I will likely cut it apart and improve on it next winter.

I also appreciate your feedback on the $800. price. I'm hoping between the sprung weld on one side of the log cradle (those two things I was calling "wedge guides"?), the punctured tire and the twisted fender, it can be had for more like $700., but we'll see.

I'd say that's a tad steep for a unit with that damage. The tire & fender are nothing, but broken welds are another matter. I'd be wondering what else got broken or weakened by the stunt that caused that damage?

It's a good machine, but I'd work him on that price.

...I'll take some pics (possibly today) but I'm not sure I can re-size them to fit, as I don't know how to do that.

1. Download Xnview.
  2. Install it.
  3. Go to Image, Resize, and play around with it. It's easy to figure out.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

This might be a dumb question, but what is meant by "cycle time?" I'm assuming that a "12 second cycle time" = 6 seconds to extend, and 6 seconds to retract--is that right?

Yep. 12 seconds is pretty quick. Unless you get into professional models like the Timberwolf, etc., that's about as fast as you're going to see.

JJuday said:
Not sure about the compression release on the Honda. They are great engines though and even with all the damage you listed that wouldn't reun me off if I had a chance to buy one. If you have a welder and a torch you can fix it and or make some improvments to it. Yeah 700 would be nice, but you are the one that has to decide what you want to shell out for the unit. Just remeber what I posted earlier about the TSC unit starting at 1000.00 + tax for a 22 ton. Sometimes buying new is warranty plan enough! JJuday

JJuday,

Thanks for your feedback. And I will consider the 22 ton starting at $1,000., at TSC. I’m not generally one to buy new, but sometimes it’s warranted, as who needs another project? I think if I can’t get this used one at an acceptable price, then perhaps this could just be one of those times.

Cantoo said:
I bought a new speeco 28 ton at tsc because used ones were hard to find and were just as much or more money that new. Keep in mind that most guys on here that have splitters have had them for years and years or are planning on having them for years and years so the few extra dollars for a new one todat will be cheap over the years of ownership. They always seem to hold their valve too. I see 20 year old splitters for sale for 75% of new price and they sell quickly. I could have built my own and I already own 3 other splitters but I decided to get a new one. I will likely cut it apart and improve on it next winter.

Cantoo,
I’m finding myself in a situation similar to yours—not much available, used, around here. I live in a pricey area, too (just wish I could afford it! LOL) which keeps the few good used units pricey as well. Congrats on your new machine, and good luck with your winter mods! Going to add an electric motor, perhaps? LOL

BlueRidgeMark said:
I'd say that's a tad steep for a unit with that damage. The tire & fender are nothing, but broken welds are another matter. I'd be wondering what else got broken or weakened by the stunt that caused that damage?

It's a good machine, but I'd work him on that price.

BlueRidgeMark,

The “log cradle” itself is an easy repair, but you raise a good point, and one I hadn’t thought of, myself—if they managed to spring a weld on the “log cradle,” then I should really closely examine the other welds to see what else might be broken/about to break.

Sidebar: the so-called “log cradle” is really there just to strip the stuck splits off of the ram/wedge, right? LOL I admit I haven’t studied it yet, but I’m not seeing how it functions as a “log cradle….” LOL

Thank you for the link to the photo-resizer. I will give that a whirl.

I will time the cycle time, as I say, and report back.

I will continue to try to work him on the price. I feel the new hydraulic hose they put on may be unnecessarily long--I have to flip it to vertical and see how it looks then--I didn't really think about the hose looking weird until I got home. I will note the diameter of it, as well, and do a little more research before I try on the price again.

Does anyone have any further guidance on defeating the compression release, so I can take an accurate measurement of the compression?

Thanks again to everyone, for all of your timely, helpful insights and advice. I will report back.

Big Six

Latest posts

Back