who makes the best diesel truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every year every manufacturer claims to have the greatest payload and towing capacity. There is only 1 number that counts. 36 straight years Ford has sold the most trucks!! What makes this even more amazing is the fact that they offer far fewer incentives to the customer than Goverment motors part 1 (GM) or Goverment motors part (2).

We stood on our own and we build the best truck!! I'm proud to not have been in an Obama motors dealership.

Ford makes a nice truck and the SuperDuty has been the commercial leader... not because of the diesel though... more because of it's size. The whole truck overall is sized larger than what GM and Dodge offer. That gives them a huge edge in that mid level commercial market like utility trucks, construction and landscaping. The interiors are significantly roomier than the competition. More room for the crew.

RAM came out with 30,000 pounds.... 5000 more than anyone else. If they are lying about it I think they might get called on it because this is a highly competitive spec.

As far as diesel is concerned, Ford is by far the worst. But hey... they still sell. What does that tell you? I don't even want to say it. At least they are smart enough to put the Cummins in the med duty Fords LOL

Last edited:
Ford makes a nice truck and the SuperDuty has been the commercial leader... not because of the diesel though... more because of it's size. The whole truck overall is sized larger than what GM and Dodge offer. That gives them a huge edge in that mid level commercial market like utility trucks, construction and landscaping. The interiors are significantly roomier than the competition. More room for the crew.

RAM came out with 30,000 pounds.... 5000 more than anyone else. If they are lying about it I think they might get called on it because this is a highly competitive spec.

As far as diesel is concerned, Ford is by far the worst. But hey... they still sell. What does that tell you? I don't even want to say it. At least they are smart enough to put the Cummins in the med duty Fords LOL

I agree and another fact that is amazing is that Ford owns Cummins. Go go figure.

If I want to play the HP game, I can put in a DT360. The DT broke a 1000hp in the sled pulling world before any Cummins knew what 1000hp was. Its wet sleeve design is superior to the Cummins and makes for easy rebuilds too. The 6BT is a good engine, International has it beat though.

If I want to play the HP game, I can put in a DT360. The DT broke a 1000hp in the sled pulling world before any Cummins knew what 1000hp was. Its wet sleeve design is superior to the Cummins and makes for easy rebuilds too. The 6BT is a good engine, International has it beat though.

So what pickup truck came with a DT360?

They do have the power though, you can't argue with that. My 04 Dodge dynos 540/1036 (modded). You can be sure I can push loads of torque continuously, way more than your old Navistars.

That sounds like a fun truck to drive. My IDI was dyno'ed at 217hp/385ftlbs.:laugh: so yes, you are absolutely correct, the old Navistars are anemic compared to todays trucks. They did however, double the mileage of the gassers built in that era, when diesel was CHEAPER than gasoline. Yes, my thoughts are narrow minded and are not very realistic for a large company. I'd bet there are quite a few small shops that rely on the simple layout and cheap parts of an older rig such as an IDI.

I'd be at a loss as I know many guys have success with the Dmax and Cummins, and my beloved Fords went south with the 6.0 and newer powerplants. I'd have to spend months researching and test driving a newer truck, it would rack my brain. In the end, I'd be modding it anyway to make up for the factory deficiencies. Probably a 2010 F350 crew cab long bed, 6 speed manual,single rear wheel, 4x4. I'd start with replacing the radiator as they are known to be bad, intake, tuner, exhaust, DPF delete, EGR delete, GV overdrive. 4" of lift and some nice tires on 17 or 18" rims, rear air bags for hauling heavy. It would basically be a clone of my 1991( with 300 extra hp) so I will keep the old, slow truck and be $50,000 ahead. :blob2:

The latest Ford designed 6.7 has two separate cooling systems.
Only RAM offers a manual trans these days.

Might as well drop a Cummins in it ;)

The Duramax has been doing pretty well. I just don't like the low rider independent front suspension and the tacky styling. I had the first year (2001) GMC Dmax. That was a great running truck with a really nice drivetrain. Unfortunately the first couple of years were injector eaters and iffy headgaskets.

Things are changing as the fed is cracking down on the diesel aftermarket now. EDGE Products just got fined $500,000. Gov almost put them out of business.

The EPA has killed diesel engines, Once they got good mileage and now the gas engines get better. Don't know if i would buy another one. Several things have turned me off them. all the stuff crammed on the motors now and the extra junk you have to put in the fuel. I'd have to need one pretty bad to buy another, not to mention the price of them now.:msp_w00t:

buy an older one and mod it. between my faher and i we have had 4 different cummins trucks, and 7, 7.3s still have one cummins and 6 7.3s. and how much longer will dodge offer a manaul? i heard they were on the way out.

buy an older one and mod it. between my faher and i we have had 4 different cummins trucks, and 7, 7.3s still have one cummins and 6 7.3s. and how much longer will dodge offer a manaul? i heard they were on the way out.

Imagine the truck you could build with 30-40K.

Latest posts

Back