who makes the best diesel truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 1979 GMC 7000 has a 4-53T Detroit Diesel in it. Unlike the Cummins which is a medium duty diesel, and the Duramax/Ford diesels which are light duty diesels, the old 2 cycle green grenades are industrial engines which will run laps around Cummins/Ford/Duramax engines in terms of reliability, longevity, ease of maintenance and of course sound. With 50,000 mile oil changes, injectors which can burn any type of combustible fuel you pour into the tanks, and over 70 years of proven excellence, I will stand my ground when others naysayers disrespect the durability and legendary performance of the old GM/Detroit Diesels. I know my Jimmies will run 500,000-750,000 miles before any major rebuild, and when the time comes I can break out my bait and tackle box and get her back up and running again.

Chris
I agree. The old Screaming Jimmies were a mechanical marvel. I had one in a semi and used to watch the stack in the convex mirror. When the last foot of it glowed red I knew we were at operating temperature.

I love my dodges i always been a gm guy at heart but these cummins motors are reliable and for a inline 6 outrun and pull almost all the v8's out there and some cummins there are reaching 500,000 miles theres alot to be said for that,.. i have had both a 99 model and now a 2005 which could of had better balljoints in it but i see alot of newer trucks coming with greaseable ones in them so.......:rock:

I just changed the ball joints out on my 05 Cummins Dodge. I did lots of reading and research and ended up replacing the stock ball joints with Dynatrac ball joints. They are a severe duty ball joint, large compared to the factory unit and made of stainless steel with grease zerks. Dynatrack says not to worry about greasing them. If they go bad they sell a rebuild kit but having been on the market for 2 or 3 years they haven't had to sell any kits yet. If and when they go bad you don't have to take them out to rebuild them. That will save on bent ball joint press's.

I don't think a greaseable ball joint a lone is a cure to short life ball joints in the Dodges. The bores in the housing that the ball joints seat in are on an angle that does not apply equal loads on the upper and lower ball joints. The only way to cure that problem was with an over built ball joint that can with stand nearly if not all the load. Dynatrac did just that but ya better be sitting down when you price them.;)

My 1979 GMC 7000 has a 4-53T Detroit Diesel in it. Unlike the Cummins which is a medium duty diesel, and the Duramax/Ford diesels which are light duty diesels, the old 2 cycle green grenades are industrial engines which will run laps around Cummins/Ford/Duramax engines in terms of reliability, longevity, ease of maintenance and of course sound. With 50,000 mile oil changes, injectors which can burn any type of combustible fuel you pour into the tanks, and over 70 years of proven excellence, I will stand my ground when others naysayers disrespect the durability and legendary performance of the old GM/Detroit Diesels. I know my Jimmies will run 500,000-750,000 miles before any major rebuild, and when the time comes I can break out my bait and tackle box and get her back up and running again.

Chris

OMG, go back far enough in history and we probably rode dinosaurs, dosnt mean they were any good. mho

It is really more of a jeep than a truck, but I am very fond of the Defenders:

land-rover-defender-90-01.jpg

IMHO,that's more about the crappy build quality of dodge trucks then how much better the cummins is over a d max or pwrstroke.

it's very true number 1 becuase cummins are "like a gold brick wrapped in ***" and number 2 the old mechanical 12vs are very easy to swap into anything

Chris

Since you love them so well why dont you buy my 6-V71? I'll stick with my Cummins.:laugh:

I'm very happy with my 3500/Duramax, but I would like to know who decided to place the fuel filter where they did. It is as if they said "it isn't like anyone ever changes these things anyway..." At least put a door in the wheel well so I can get to it!

If I were designing a truck, I'd put a flip down front grill and have all the filters right there: connect them with hoses if I had to. The washer fluid filler and dipstick too. Jumper cable attachment points. Oil filler. The oil filter would be like in the old mercedes cars, down in a cup so when you unscrew it the extra oil drains back into the engine, not down your arm. Design the thing so that all the routine maintenance is really easy to do. I suppose there is more money in designing it so that you either have to have the factory tool or a trained boa constrictor to unscrew the fuel filter.

Back in the diesel truck game. Bought a 99 F250 with a 7.3 and 6 speed. It's been beat on it's whole life pretty much and needs some TLC, but it has good potential and is a tough truck. I bought it off the company I work for, so I know a lot of it's history. ~230k on it now. Needs injectors first and foremost. Clutch needs work too, it doesn't slip at all, but lots of play up top and you have to hold it absolutely to the floor, otherwise it's engaging. Then there's front end work, window racks, and lots of other things.

Back in the diesel truck game. Bought a 99 F250 with a 7.3 and 6 speed. It's been beat on it's whole life pretty much and needs some TLC, but it has good potential and is a tough truck. I bought it off the company I work for, so I know a lot of it's history. ~230k on it now. Needs injectors first and foremost. Clutch needs work too, it doesn't slip at all, but lots of play up top and you have to hold it absolutely to the floor, otherwise it's engaging. Then there's front end work, window racks, and lots of other things.

Clutch might need adjustment and/or fluid and bled.

RAM is taking over with payload. Ford and GM needs to regroup

I wouldn't touch a Ford with a diesel in it 2003-up. Total JUNK.

Fourth gen RAM design came out in 2010 and they even made more upgrades. Now you can get the Aisin 8-speed auto in an HD. It's the Allison killer of auto transmissions.

Problem today between all brands now is price and emissions equipment. Loaded crew cab duallys are now 60 big ones list although out the door you can get them in the low 50's.

I realize that the highest percentage of rigs on this site is Ford. I knew why back during the 7.3 days but don't understand today why they keep buying them with the garbage diesels they put out now. Ford blind I guess. Nice trucks but stay away from the diesel.

Here is the RAM news release: Note the trailoring weights exceeding Ford and GM by 1000's of pounds.

That means that commercial businesses have a new kid on the block... ambulances.. tow trucks... utilities.. landscaping companies.. you name it. Need high GVW... GO RAM!

Ram 3500 Heavy Duty’s maximum trailer weight of 30,000 pounds far surpasses closest competitor’s 23,100-pound max

• 850 lb.-ft. Cummins Turbo Diesel is tops for torque

37,600-pound Gross Combined Weight Rating leads all heavy-duty pickups

• Ram 2500 leads all ¾-ton pickups

• Ram Chassis Cab trucks also deliver best-in-class towing

In the quest to build the most capable trucks available, Ram officially released class-leading towing and weight ratings for its 2013 line of Ram Heavy Duty pickups and Chassis Cab trucks.

The Ram 3500 Heavy Duty pickup will claim a 30,000-pound trailer capacity thanks to a new class-exclusive 50,000 pounds-per-square-inch, high-strength steel frame, improved transfer case, higher-load transmission, an upgraded 6.7-liter Cummins Turbo Diesel engine with a best-in-class 850 lb.-ft. of torque and other significant driveline upgrades.

Ram’s closest competitor is limited to a 23,100-pound maximum trailer.

"We built the new 2013 Ram Heavy Duty to be the undisputed Heavy Duty ‘King of the Road.’ These new rigs deliver on the number one key attribute most critical to these customers: uncompromising capability,” said Fred Diaz, President and CEO — Ram Truck Brand and Chrysler de Mexico, Chrysler Group LLC. “Towing capability, reliability and engine performance are ranked first through third, respectively, with HD customers. The 2013 Ram Heavy Duty trucks unequivocally deliver all those things, as well as a very low total cost of ownership.”

The Ram 3500’s Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) -- which is defined by the maximum combined weight of the truck, payload and trailer -- has been raised to 37,600 pounds, which again far surpasses the closest competitor’s 30,500-pound GCWR.

Ram has increased the capability in its other truck models as well.

For 2013, the Ram 2500 will also benefit from increased towing and GCWR. At 18,350 and 25,000, Ram 2500’s towing and GCW ratings are also best among ¾-ton pickups.

Ram Chassis Cab trucks also deliver maximum capability with best-in-class towing and GCWR figures 29,600 pounds and 37,500 pounds, respectively (5500 model).

Ram Heavy Duty adds a number of new features for 2013, including a factory-integrated fifth-wheel and gooseneck hitch mount, a 17,000-pound Class V hitch with 1,800 pounds of tongue weight, class-exclusive electronic stability control (ESC) for dual-rear-wheels and a new Center High-Mounted Stop Light (CHMSL) –positioned camera, the first of its kind in the heavy-duty pickup category, to provide a full view of the bed for easier hook-up of fifth-wheel or gooseneck trailers as well as monitoring cargo.

For 2013, all Ram Heavy Duty diesels benefit from an all-new cooling system. A high-efficiency fan, dual radiators, dual transmission coolers and low-slung charge air cooler afford 25 percent more heat-rejection capacity. Lower operating temperatures deliver improved performance, durability and lower operating costs. Cummins Turbo Diesel-equipped Ram trucks also provide best-in-class 15,000-mile oil change intervals.

Ram is also introducing an industry-exclusive Ram Active Air intake system. When the intake system senses extreme heat, it draws cooler air from the front of the vehicle – a function that also engages at high altitudes for superior throttle response in low oxygen environments. When conditions are wet from snow, ice or water-fording, the system pulls air from an under-hood inlet, clear from snow packing and water.

Also among the upgrades for 2013, Ram Heavy Duty front drive shafts and U-joints are sized larger to align with the truck’s new Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR).

To handle the best-in-class towing and payload capability of the new Ram Heavy Duty, a new front and rear suspension system with advanced geometry builds upon the chassis improvements and greatly improves overall roll stiffness. An advanced three-link front suspension on the Ram 3500 is necessary for the vehicle’s higher GVWR and for use with heavy front loads, including snow plows. Additionally, a newly designed Hotchkiss leaf spring rear suspension on the Ram 3500 offers improved ride and handling while delivering higher towing and payload capability.

Last edited:
What a great thread. Go ahead and spend $200,000 on your next three trucks, I will keep chugging along in my '91 F350. I have a crew cab 4x4 long bed srw and its my one vehicle that does what ever I may need of it. From vacationing to pulling a gross weight of 28,000lbs, not a problem. Laugh, say what you want, The old 7.3 IDI with an ATS turbo, 4:10's and 5 speed is getting the job done, just maybe not as fast as your super new electronic gizmo, choked on pollution crap of a truck that the government is forcing down our throats.

My truck spent its first 17 years with a major logging outfit in Oregon and has been with me since '08. Still has the original king pins in the D60 front. Oh yeah, the manufacturers did away with something that lasts that long for the automated assembly line friendliness of ball joints, bleh.

A tow truck operator I know logged and documented 980,000 miles on ONE 7.3 IDI engine, stock oem internals in an F-Superduty, with 5:13 gears. Just think about how many revolutions that engine spun.:dizzy: He worked the truck hard enough to crack apart 3 cabs during the stint. These rigs are stone simple, easy to do the work on them yourself and among the cheapest out there to maintain. I can ship in a rust free truck from California, put in a new drive train, new interior, new paint, tires, go through the chassis and fix anything that's wrong for about $15,000, 1/4 the price of a new truck. In the end, I will put one against any new truck in terms of reliability and the total cost to operate.

Ford MADE the best diesel trucks. Who makes them now is anybody's guess. I'm a diesel die hard and would probably buy a gas truck if I was forced into a new one at this point.:givebeer:

Show me a 6.7 which can put out 850lb/ft of torque day in and day out from the factory, and maybe I will believe 1 bit of your post.
I bet my 3.5Liter Detroit with 435lb/ft of torque 16" clutch and 10 speed Spicer will outpull it all day everyday. There isnt one good truck sold on the market today. Gas or diesel, the quality of the truck down to every nut and bolt is simply inferior. Emissions technology, computers, automatic transmissions, and aluminum castings do not belong in an engine. Forged steel, and cast iron separates the big boys from the little girls. My friends 1975 Brockway 761 came with a factory 575hp V12 and a GVWR of 180K. Fast forward 30 years and there isnt one over the road truck short of a Cline/Pacific Heavy Hauler which can out pull it. A buddy of mine just bought a new 2013 F750 Ford with a Cummins diesel and Allison automatic. Although rated with a 3.25 ton chassis, the chassis is merely half the size of the 3 ton chassis on my 1979 GMC 7000. Coil over suspension, bahhaa, Ive got 25 leaves in the back over a 28,000lbs Eaton rear. There aint nothing nice about new trucks other than push button this and that. I'll take my old school diesel over anything new all day every day! Hell if the DMV let me drive my 1912 Rumely Oil Pull E on the road, I'd take it everywhere! That summ##### can pull a 20 bottom plow @ 300rpm :)

Chris

I won't argue much over the last two posts simply cause you guys are right! Unfortunately we are where we are due to labor costs and environmental costs.
Heavy loads are still being pulled with the new trucks. They are expensive to buy, expensive to fix. They do have the power though, you can't argue with that. My 04 Dodge dynos 540/1036 (modded). You can be sure I can push loads of torque continuously, way more than your old Navistars. I expect high miles on my truck too... maybe not 980,000 but I'm sure I can get to 300-400 thousand.

K-TRON, you know darn well they all... even back in the day, give "peak" specs so if you have an old school diesel pickup you can be sure back then they promised the highest TQ based on peak too.

I wouldn't mind all the crap under the hood and bolted to the exhaust if it worked without all the issues it causes these days. They all have been having problems with that "regen" cycle that burns the soot out of the DPF. The big problem is that the end users driving habits vary so greatly that they can't get a good handle on when and how long to regen. And if you don't drive hard and get the sysyem hot for long enough it has regen issues.

Ever look under the hood of new Ford diesel? It's ridiculous. .

Picture%2520068.jpg

One thing I gotta give RAM and Cummins... you can still see the ground on both sides of the engine from above

Here's my Dodge..... look... you can reach down and touch the turbo :potstir:
And that's the asphalt down there.

0011.jpg

Last edited:
Every year every manufacturer claims to have the greatest payload and towing capacity. There is only 1 number that counts. 36 straight years Ford has sold the most trucks!! What makes this even more amazing is the fact that they offer far fewer incentives to the customer than Goverment motors part 1 (GM) or Goverment motors part (2).

We stood on our own and we build the best truck!! I'm proud to not have been in an Obama motors dealership.

Latest posts

Back