Who mills kindling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Full Skip

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I usually mill a bunch of boards over the summer, from silver maple preferably, that I then dry and split them down to about 1"x1"x8"-10" for kindling. I'm finding that it works great.

Anyone else do this?

Same results!

I don't mill them, but I use my splitter and "deli-slice" Silver Maple thinly for kindling, and you're right it works great! Also Black Birch and Poplar work well too, but the Poplar smokes a bit. Silver Maple is great for kindling and first quarter-splits to get a fire going.

I don't mill them, but I use my splitter and "deli-slice" Silver Maple thinly for kindling, and you're right it works great! Also Black Birch and Poplar work well too, but the Poplar smokes a bit. Silver Maple is great for kindling and first quarter-splits to get a fire going.

I use Poplar....split it into toothpicks and have kindling all winter. It does give off a slightly bitter smell, but no big deal. My buddy has brought me milled pieces from his shop which I have burned...just extra odds and ends pieces...most of it was Oak or Walnut though, so not ideal for kindling.

I usually find a construction site dumpster and get some short scraps of 2X lumber and use an ax to split into smaller pieces to get a plastic tote box full of super dry kindling

I quarter the small stuff 1-2" limb, 10"long, with a hatchet and deadblow mallet for some quiet "idle mind at work" activity, good time to have a tot o' rum as well. Now that I've just started milling, the tablesaw would be more efficient to rip the 1" thick slabs into strips. But the kids like collecting the limbwood though.

I usually find a construction site dumpster and get some short scraps of 2X lumber and use an ax to split into smaller pieces to get a plastic tote box full of super dry kindling
Yep, construction left-overs are great kindling but please, alla u out there, stay away from treated wood like it is a plague, I really mean it! Nowadays most stuff is treated with pentachlorophenols (sp,sry, add extra chems here) 'cause it keeps the wood 'pretty' (and is really dumb since discolored wood loses no integrity,it is just cosmetic crap), nasty shyte, doesn't break down with low temp burning and is cumulative poison-wise, it is not stuff you want to expose anyone to especially children and pregnant women, in any amount; There are no real 'safe' levels for artificial man-made chemicals like these so use your gut feelings. This also goes for any MFPB's, like OSB or high density press board, just say NO!
I like to save a pitchy couple of pieces log for dumergencies, other than that my fire doesn't go out until spring ( ;) ), and btw read the 'kindling' thread eh :) Anything thats dry around here, thats the wood du jour, cut small, will git the stove going................eventually :D
Oh, as to the origional Q, everybody with a mill!!

Sheesh! :chainsaw: :givebeer: :chainsaw:

Last edited:
My logger buddy

brought me a bundled up bunch and I am talking bunch of 3/4 x3/4-1-2 just oddball stuff that has even been planed. from a mill somewhere that he hauls logs to. This bundle would overflow a pickup bed. I just cut off the end of it and stack it in the dry

We bundle the edgings that come off the edger. Some misc. hardwoods and a lot of pine. Then their just sold off in the bundles for people to buck up how they want and keeps what he needs for his house. Pieces are already nice and thin so there's little more labor that's actually needed.

I get more stickers and kindling than I can use when using a hired Woodmizer.
Just take the edging cuts in 1" steps and there are hundreds of 1x1 sticks for whatever you need...tomato stakes too.

I don't do any milling so I ususally just go wandering through the woods and collect fat lightered and cut it up with an axe.

Old Pine heart wood makes great kindling. Once every year or two I go romping in the woods to find a dead pine on the ground that's rotten to the heart. Usually you just have to kick the rotten crap away and pull the center out by hand. The remaining heart wood is saturated with pine rosin that highly flammable and smells real nice. Split it with a hatchet and it's ready to go. Rotten stumps usually give you larger chunks of kindling but that has to be dug out.

Back