Who owns a Gransfors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironworker

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
I got an email from the supplier and realized I ordered the large splitting axe when I wanted the long and large, it's the same only four inches longer. So I call them and caught it right as it was about to be sent out, asked if I can change and she did it no problem, it was only a five dollar difference and she still sent it out after I told her I was sending her the five dollars through the mail because I did not have a credit card on me at the time. Talk about nice.

Trx250r180

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
I have to ask ,Do you like it better than the x-27? :D ,I have a couple husky axes ,i like them ,have been wanting to try the gransfors

Ironworker

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have to ask ,Do you like it better than the x-27? :D ,I have a couple husky axes ,i like them ,have been wanting to try the gransfors
I have a Fiskars and was not crazy about it, I also have one I bought from plow and hearth on close out and liked much better, I should be getting the Gransfors tommorow and hopefully I'll get a chance to swing it.

USMC615

USMC615

Wood's Tougher Than Woodpecker Lips...
I got an email from the supplier and realized I ordered the large splitting axe when I wanted the long and large, it's the same only four inches longer. So I call them and caught it right as it was about to be sent out, asked if I can change and she did it no problem, it was only a five dollar difference and she still sent it out after I told her I was sending her the five dollars through the mail because I did not have a credit card on me at the time. Talk about nice.

Curious as to what the OAL is on the 'long' version?

mr.finn

mr.finn

ArboristSite Guru
I didn't know the L&L splitting axe existed, came across it by mistake. Mine came on Monday. Got to split a few round with it the other day, thing is real nice. It is scary how sharp the edge is on it. I will try and get some pics up.

Ironworker

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well I got home from work early today and found a box on the porch, took it out to the wood pile and all I could say is WOW, first of all the craftsmanship is awesome and at first I started out on some red oak and cherry and I was very I pleased with it, so far I was glad I bought it, then I put it to the real test on some notty hard maple and it passed. Is it worth the money, yes and I would recommend it to anyone that appreciates quality.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

rwoods

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Ironworker, I have owned the splitting maul for many years. A real piece of craftsmanship. If you get your new axe stuck resist the urge to strike it with some other maul/hammer as the poll may actually be softer than the cheaper other tool. You can figure out how I know this to be true. :dumb2: A great tool :chop:. Ron

Ironworker

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ironworker, I have owned the splitting maul for many years. A real piece of craftsmanship. If you get your new axe stuck resist the urge to strike it with some other maul/hammer as the poll may actually be softer than the cheaper other tool. You can figure out how I know this to be true. :dumb2: A great tool :chop:. Ron
The one thing I noticed was how it did not get stuck as often as my other splitting tools.

Raganr

Raganr

ArboristSite Guru
I have the maul and it is a nice splitting tool. I thought about getting the splitting axe as well but my X27 fills that role nicely. Their smaller hatchets are equally as nice and I use them all the time to break down small limbs and branches to feed the fire pit/rocket stove/smoker.

GBs are expensive but if you use it, they are a good value. It is rare to be able to own the best of anything for ~$150

hardpan

hardpan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes. The top dogs all have a similar profile (Gransfurs, Mueller, Oxhead) and certainly some I've never heard of. A guy would have to handle and measure them all to know the personal best fit. Those flat sides seem to be a winning design. Why doesn't an inexpensive manufacturer "mostly" copy the big guys designs, use a more common steel and sell it for 30 bucks? I think they would take the market with the common folks like me. I do enjoy and appreciate a quality tool but sometimes just too cheap to buy one.LOL

maulhead

maulhead

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
CTYank

CTYank

Peripatetic Sawyer
I have several vintage gransfors axes, 2 wetterlings, and a Mueller maul from traditionalwoodworkers.com the Mueller is awesome.

Mueller 3 kg (6.6 lb) maul demonstrated two things to me:
1. How a maul head should be shaped. I then applied that lesson to two Bradlees-special mauls to good effect.
2. Excellent metallurgy- hard & tough steel.
That maul is my "heavy artillery" for any hard-cases.

Then I got a 5.5 lb Wetterlings (dead ringer for Husqy maul from Hultafors Bruks) and a 6 lb Council Tools maul. With that arsenal, not much need to take prisoners. Council Tools maul and "Jersey-pattern" axe are also super-bargains, IMO, for ~$25 each.

@Ironworker I'll be bringing the assortment for your evaluation at the GTG on 4/26. I hope you'll trust some of us to try the Gransfors.

@hardpan see the bit about Council Tool prices. From NC, US of A.

Ironworker

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes. The top dogs all have a similar profile (Gransfurs, Mueller, Oxhead) and certainly some I've never heard of. A guy would have to handle and measure them all to know the personal best fit. Those flat sides seem to be a winning design. Why doesn't an inexpensive manufacturer "mostly" copy the big guys designs, use a more common steel and sell it for 30 bucks? I think they would take the market with the common folks like me. I do enjoy and appreciate a quality tool but sometimes just too cheap to buy one.LOL
I wasn't sure about spending that kind of money on an axe, but glad I did. Every once in a while you gotta take care of yourself.