Who sharpens chain with rotary tool?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hand file about a dozen saws a day. I have a few different dremel tools and last year I went out and bought every type of stone and diamond I could find locally for chainsaws, was about 5 different stones and 2 different diamonds. I was going to do a write up/comparo with pics but it would be a complete waste of time and easily summarised in two words; dont bother. The stones clog up almost immediately unless your chains are oil/sap free, and they are slow. The diamonds don't clog up as quick but are nowhere near aggressive enough and are more live polishers than sharpeners. Carbides could be worth a look at, hadn't thought of that.

I wasn't looking for a replacement to hand filing, just something that could be used on site. By the end of the day if you're climbing, your arms are just too tired for accurate hand sharpening.

I just did a quick google search and i dont see a big range in Carbide burr sizes? Maybe i am missing something but i was wondering what size chain are you sharpening and what size burr are you using? I see a 1/4 cylindrical burr then a bunch of funky shapes but no real range of sizes ? Thanks for the info just courious is all.

1426595552930.jpg Get a good file jig or if your cheep like me go to harbor frieght and buy the 40 dollhair chain sharpener then increase the cutting angle

I hand file about a dozen saws a day. I have a few different dremel tools and last year I went out and bought every type of stone and diamond I could find locally for chainsaws, was about 5 different stones and 2 different diamonds. I was going to do a write up/comparo with pics but it would be a complete waste of time and easily summarised in two words; dont bother. The stones clog up almost immediately unless your chains are oil/sap free, and they are slow. The diamonds don't clog up as quick but are nowhere near aggressive enough and are more live polishers than sharpeners. Carbides could be worth a look at, hadn't thought of that.

I wasn't looking for a replacement to hand filing, just something that could be used on site. By the end of the day if you're climbing, your arms are just too tired for accurate hand sharpening.
Yeah i think the diamond tips are nice cause they dont get smaller in diameter

... Get a good file jig or if your cheep like me go to harbor frieght and buy the 40 dollhair chain sharpener then increase the cutting angle
I use a similar model without height adjustment and it works just fine for me. In my personal try out it cut as fast as standard store bought brand new stihl chain. For me that ain't bad money invested. And a small plus would be the abillity to run it off your cigarette lighter in the car since it only has a 80-90 Watt's engine. That would be easy to setup in nowhere for quick repair of rocked chains.

Latest posts

Back