Who starts their saw like an Ax Man?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTMike74

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sorry mods if this should be in the Ax Man forum, but it's more about general saw starting than the show...

In the Ax Men episode "Burning the Bear" (s5 ep12), Big Gun starts his saw with the bar resting on a log and he's holding the tank/handle and yanks the pull cord. How does everyone else start their saws?

I've always started my saws on the ground with my boot through the handle like a jamoke, I guess. I find it funny when folks hold the saw in mid air and yank the cord and the whole saw goes flying around. Super safe! I don't see how someone can start a 575 in mid air with the compression that it has. If I'm wrong, please learn me the cool way to start a saw.

Mike

I do and i'd say 99% of people i've seen do too... right or wrong it just feels natural to me...

I hold mine in the air (too lazy to bend over like a monkey fudgepackin' a football) but rest the rear handle against my leg, keeping it steady from swinging. It's a little 16-incher, but I've always started my saws this way.

I never tried it like on Ax Men. I usually put my boot through the loop and then pull the cord or if I'm kind of in a hurry I drop start it like pull the cord in the air while throwing the saw down kinda.

SHane

Depends, but I'm 6'7" so that foot through the handle on the ground is out. I usually drop start them.

I wouldn't do anything like they do on that joke of a show. I hope this is the last year for it. It really has the potential of being a good educational show, but all the BS drama has ruined it.

My boot will never fit into the rear handle, so I have to take it off and do it barefooted.

Anybody else start their saw barefooted?

:hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry mods if this should be in the Ax Man forum, but it's more about general saw starting than the show...

In the Ax Men episode "Burning the Bear" (s5 ep12), Big Gun starts his saw with the bar resting on a log and he's holding the tank/handle and yanks the pull cord. How does everyone else start their saws?

I've always started my saws on the ground with my boot through the handle like a jamoke, I guess. I find it funny when folks hold the saw in mid air and yank the cord and the whole saw goes flying around. Super safe! I don't see how someone can start a 575 in mid air with the compression that it has. If I'm wrong, please learn me the cool way to start a saw.

Mike

The compression of a 575? They don't have much.....don't see why you could not drop start one.

Latest posts

Back