Who uses the chain brake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dumb4words

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a saw a while back that had been "smoked". Saw in question is an Echo cs-4400. Previous owner had apparently run it with the brake on. Brake band was scored, and grooved but not quite broke. Due to alignment with muffler in locked position, brake handle has a little melted spot (dime size on top). Only thing I had to do to get it working... Release the brake.

In researching what is, was, or could be damaged I've come across quite a few other "brake" stories. Mostly folks that start a brand new saw and let it "warm up" idling with the brake on. Only to have it catch fire or smoke the clutch. Personally, I've pretty much always started saws with the brake released. Old timers managed ok before brakes right? I might engage the brake while stepping over obstacles/brush. But seldom. Typically I'm either cutting, or I shut the saw off. I pretty much view it as a safety feature, not a pause button.

I always sort of assumed that the whole "starting with the brake engaged" was more to protect the manufacturer from liability. And that a free spinning chain has to be easier on the clutch. Should I reconsider?

Opinions appreciated,
2dumb

I never use the brake for starting a saw, but I do use it when I have to walk around, or cross over obstacles with the saw running. It's worth the little time it takes getting use to.

I agree. I don't use it when starting however if I have to walk around, over a tree, pass the saw to a helper, or from one log to another I always engage it. It is similar to a safety on a firearm - certainly not the end all but if its there you might as well use it. Kind of like when you are just about to lay some lead in the target you slip off the safety, same thing with the saw. Just when I am about to make my cut I release it. Also (just like a firearm) I keep my booger hook off the trigger until I am ready to make the cut.

I would much rather fall on/with a running chain saw that has the brake engaged and my finger off the trigger as opposed to falling with a say with no brake and finger on trigger. Stay safe.

I agree. I don't use the brake for starting. But I do usually start my saws securely on the ground with my foot on the rear handle and my left hand on the front handle.

I used to start a saw with the brake off - until one day I started one one the ground with the switch on high idle. Chain spun like mad and dug into the dirt. Didn't take much imagination to see where the chain could have caught on something and kicked back into my face, helmet or no.
Starting a saw and walking any distance with a running saw with the chain brake on provides an added measure of safety. As soon as the saw starts on high idle, I blip the throttle then release the brake - every time. No chance of frying the clutch.

I never use the brake for starting a saw, but I do use it when I have to walk around, or cross over obstacles with the saw running. It's worth the little time it takes getting use to.

Same here. After I got used to it I found myself reaching for the brake on my older saws that do not have them :msp_biggrin:

I don't usually start a saw with it on. Most often i put the rear handle between my legs while holding the saw with my left hand and pulling with my right.

The only time I EVER use the brake is to hold the chain from moving when I'm sharpening it on the bench with both hands on the file.
I use a different hold for starting than anyone else? I hold the top cover behind the handle, that way when the saw TRIES to back fire or is just hard to pull, it don't fly out of my grip. But that's only for the first cold start, after that I put the bar on a log and hold the trigger with my right and 1 pull - start.

I rarely use the brake. Not for starting or warming the saw up either. If it's running, it's usually in my hands. I know accidents can and do happen. Being a carpenter i've seen quite a few injuries over the years. I try to be as careful as possible with all tools I use. Can't work if you're injured.

i should take all the brake systems off of my saws and sell em on fleabay,,,, they never get used....

if your saw is tuned/adjusted right the chain should not be spinning when your walking with it anyhow....... just sayin.

i should take all the brake systems off of my saws and sell em on fleabay,,,, they never get used....

if your saw is tuned/adjusted right the chain should not be spinning when your walking with it anyhow....... just sayin.

Did you ever see someone walk through thick brush with the chain brake off and have a stick hit the throttle and run the saw wide open acrossed their thigh? I have.

We didn't have em in the early days and I have no use for em now, I bought a Huski 41 in 93 and a year later a 20" popple sat back on me and broke the chain brake off and I haven't missed it for 18 years.

John

Did you ever see someone walk through thick brush with the chain brake off and have a stick hit the throttle and run the saw wide open acrossed their thigh? I have.

Yeah, back in 63-64 I was walking out of a top holding my D44 up high when I stumbled and a branch hit the trigger and spun the saw around and cut the seam of my denum jacket on top of my shoulder, that learned me to shut the bloody thing off.

John

I never set the brake on purpose, although it does set itself exactly when it is supposed to and I appreciate that. After reading the above responses I should take more caution when walking over stuff, especially after getting my hand sliced up a few years back tripping over some brush. Luckily it wasn't deep but it looked bad.

I usually cut wood with my wife and 3 kids so my chainbrake is pretty much on all the time if the bar tip isn't next to the log I'm cutting. It is hard to keep track of where everyone is at any given time so I do it as a precautionary measure. It would be bad enough cutting myself, but it would be a lot worse if I accidentally clipped one of my kids or my wife. I never used to use it at all, but after you start using it, it becomes pretty habitual and not a nuisance at all.

I picked up a saw a while back that had been "smoked". Saw in question is an Echo cs-4400. Previous owner had apparently run it with the brake on. Brake band was scored, and grooved but not quite broke. Due to alignment with muffler in locked position, brake handle has a little melted spot (dime size on top). Only thing I had to do to get it working... Release the brake.

In researching what is, was, or could be damaged I've come across quite a few other "brake" stories. Mostly folks that start a brand new saw and let it "warm up" idling with the brake on. Only to have it catch fire or smoke the clutch. Personally, I've pretty much always started saws with the brake released. Old timers managed ok before brakes right? I might engage the brake while stepping over obstacles/brush. But seldom. Typically I'm either cutting, or I shut the saw off. I pretty much view it as a safety feature, not a pause button.

I always sort of assumed that the whole "starting with the brake engaged" was more to protect the manufacturer from liability. And that a free spinning chain has to be easier on the clutch. Should I reconsider?

Opinions appreciated,
2dumb

The manufacturer won't bleed out from an open artery. A little research will show just how many people are injured during the starting process. A correctly tuned saw will never be harmed by having the brake set. A human can be severely harmed or killed by not having the brake set when it should be. I digress though, a chain brake is like a seatbelt or helmet. Your choice.

I'm generally with Sagetown. I have saws with brakes and saws without brakes. I conciously think about that when I pick one up, so that I'm aware of which one I'm using. I don't think a brake is a substitute for safe saw handling. One: I don't like the idea of putting a lot of wear on the brake when idling saws. Two: Brake or no brake, we probably ought not to put ourselves in the position of serious injury if the brake fails, if the brake is the only thing that would prevent the injury. I would submit that we should manage the saw forces (position not in line with a kickback, stiff-arm, kill the saw when moving, etc.) for safety and think of the brake as a secondary line of defense. Prevention is better than "minimizing the injury"...I don't wanna get hurt in the first place.

Latest posts

Back