Who would like a Gardening forum on here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we're all hoping for a little more rain this year. i ran the drip sunup/sundown last year.its a good investment to keep the produce growin. they told me the well i use was only 2/gal./min. and i run it to the max.luckily i have a seperate well for the house & barn.FS

we're all hoping for a little more rain this year. i ran the drip sunup/sundown last year.its a good investment to keep the produce growin. they told me the well i use was only 2/gal./min. and i run it to the max.luckily i have a seperate well for the house & barn.FS

I need to invest in drip irrigation.

With how much I ran my irrigation pump last summer I'm considering either getting solar panels or a small windmill to power the pump. Then I'd like to put a water tank in the second floor of my barn. So then when the conditions are right my storage tank can fill and then I can water my garden by gravity.

I need to invest in drip irrigation.

With how much I ran my irrigation pump last summer I'm considering either getting solar panels or a small windmill to power the pump. Then I'd like to put a water tank in the second floor of my barn. So then when the conditions are right my storage tank can fill and then I can water my garden by gravity.

Just random speculative bull shooting here...

I'd imagine gutters on the barn roof would collect a heck of a lot of water in even a modest rain. Divert that into a storage tank, then drip from that...we'd turn you into some sort of earthy-crunchy hippie who uses no electricity at all to water their garden ;)

231 c.i. per gallon, 144 sq. in. per sq. ft. ... that's 155 gallons per 1,000 s.f. of roof for every 1/4" of rain.

Just random speculative bull shooting here...

I'd imagine gutters on the barn roof would collect a heck of a lot of water in even a modest rain. Divert that into a storage tank, then drip from that...we'd turn you into some sort of earthy-crunchy hippie who uses no electricity at all to water their garden ;)

231 c.i. per gallon, 144 sq. in. per sq. ft. ... that's 155 gallons per 1,000 s.f. of roof for every 1/4" of rain.

Somewhat guilty of the above...can't help myself. :msp_thumbsup: They have been using cisterns forever and a day. They work, and you don't have to use potable water to dump on the ground.

Save the fresh water for beer! :givebeer:

Rows and rows

This is what I was talking about doing.

Dig the rows, fill with mulch, cover back with dirt, let sit for a month.

rows.jpg

Yes indeed. Keep the wood chips and other debris out of finished ready to use product. As woody material decomposes it will deplete your soil of nitrogen and possibly leave you scratching your head and trouble shooting. Can build a screen to sift soil through that catches this unwanted material, extra labor but your plants will thank you for your troubles

A little extra labor now is better than a lot of extra labor later, cheers and happy growing!

I guess

I guess it is compost that I am using then. Great to learn a difference.

This was from a HUGE cotton gin. When the cotton goes to the gin this is what is left over.

We pulled this from last years pile. could have been the year before pile since I dont think that chute has moved over the winter. There is very little other than fine stuff there and a few really nice worms.

Anyone of you guys do no-til on the garden?

About 5 years ago we switched to 100% no-til on our farm, and we are hooked on it.

I imagine I could scale it down to garden size. But I'm curious how I'd go about breaking up the hard pan?

Have u ever played with tannerite?!!!!! I know ya got guns. Have fun!!!!

This is what I was talking about doing.

Dig the rows, fill with mulch, cover back with dirt, let sit for a month.

rows.jpg

If you like rows with mulch buried (sheet composting) try it with a small rotation. Bury your mulch in the rows you walk on this year and then till an plant in those rows next year.
We used that to bring up the nutrients in our main garden but in big patches (broke the garden into 4-25'x25' sections) and it works well, just watch the PH ours got a little off. We used a year old pile of manure (pig/horse/mianly cow), grass clippings and sawdust as our compost, then covered and planted a cover crop over it. Tilled it in the next spring and the worms were everywhere and the dirt was noticable darker and richer.

I need

I need to get a picture of the compost in my hand so you can see how "dirty" it is.

I am trying it this way this year because my garden mentor told me to try it.

He told me last year that he will help me have double the yield from last year.

last years 'garden'

took me a while to figure out this*&^#@## computer but finally got the google pic of last years garden. mostly sweet corn but all the other stuff too. just had the last bag of asparagus for dinner last nite. won't be long til i'm cutting again.View attachment 284130

me and a buddy did some stump removal with that stuff too:D

That idea just came to me too:D

I've got a few 3' stumps that need to be gone. I considered using a drill, FFFG and a fuse, but it was suggested to me that that wouldn't be the most intelligent decision I ever made....

Back