Who's got a moisture meter, what's a good one to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i found one at my painters supply place. 2 pronger with a 3' flexible cord and runs on a 9V battery. so far so good.

Just remember, re split and check the centers not the edge

OK, I'll be the dissenter...
Don't have one, don't want one, and don't see the need for one... not into gadgetry.
Besides, I know when my "wood" is ready... :D

I'll take this one gents,

That's what she said.

Don't have one, don't want one, and don't see the need for one... not into gadgetry.

Don't whant to know how you know your wood is ready.:msp_biggrin:

The HF units go on sale for $12. I think they are plenty accurate for firewood when you use them to check a fresh split. I had three of them and gave two away as gifts. They all read about the same when checking the same spot on a fresh split. Batteries can quickly cost you more than the unit if you buy them locally. I buy the button cells 50 at a time on eBay. They are becoming more and more common.

If I was making furniture maybe something better would be called for but for firewood...

I find most of my wood outside gets to about 15-17% moisture. Anything that reads below the limit of the meter will burn ok. If it reads OL then it is definitely a no go.

The General model uses a 9V battery, haven't changed it yet in about a year of use. Button cells are fine for watches, digital calipers and stuff that needs to be small, but something that can fit in your hand should use a bigger battery since there's room for it.

The palm test, just hold the probes against your palm (I think mine says finger) and it should read somewheres in the 33% range, assuming you aren't all hot n shweaty. That's how my directions say to check the calibration.... not that it's adjustable anyway!

Thanks. I'll have to give that a try, once I figure out where I misplaced mine at. :rolleyes2:

meter

i have a general meter ,45-50$ i think it is a good one.gemplers sells them.its nice as a back up. k

The palm test, just hold the probes against your palm (I think mine says finger) and it should read somewheres in the 33% range, assuming you aren't all hot n shweaty. That's how my directions say to check the calibration.... not that it's adjustable anyway!

If you jam the probes into your palm hard enough it will show 100%, FYI.

Got mine from amazon 4-5 yrs ago for about 20-25bucks. Not sure why I got it just kind of a seems neat at the time deals. I used it a few times to check different pieces of wood and put it on the shelf. Been there for at least 3 years and havent touched it since.

Finally, besides Depends and carrying while cutting, we can agree on this. :msp_scared:

For firewood, excepting sellers needing to 'show' silly customers the seasoning, and millers, Moisture Meters are a Male T_t : USELESS. USELESS. :bang: Damn, you want to have fun spending $$$, use it for good drink, or, or, buy your sweets something nice.

Now thimk about it: those tiny pins measure how far into wood ? What about beyond the 1/8" ?

Here's the repeat ( said many times before ) of what Spider says :
1. Color ( usually darker or a gray weathered look on the ends )
2. End checking
3. Weight compared to when it was first split and/or stacked
4. Sound of 2 splits knocked together ( dull thud = unseasoned; ring like hitting a ball = seasoned )
5. The ultimate test: got sizzling in the fire ? It's wet.

Who has the time or desire to pin stick every split anyhow. :confused2:

Thats not exactly true. if your wood is in a shed and doesn't get rained on, the color won't change. The ends can still check and the middle still be wet. Who can remember the weight of wood a year later? Ring of the wood is up to ones interpretation. You may have a furnace or boiler that you wont be able to hear the sizzle. Although bark falling of is a dead give away.

Thats not exactly true. if your wood is in a shed and doesn't get rained on, the color won't change. The ends can still check and the middle still be wet. Who can remember the weight of wood a year later? Ring of the wood is up to ones interpretation. You may have a furnace or boiler that you wont be able to hear the sizzle. Although bark falling of is a dead give away.

Now Dan, kinda nitpicking here are we ?:censored:
We'll give you the one about bark falling off, although not all species ( locust, beech for example ) have drying bark that falls off.
Correcto also about wood under a woodshed ( one big "duh" ).

It's all about years of using wood for fuel; you get a feeling usiing all of the above signs, not one or another, but a mix. It's a pro feel.:msp_scared:
Now, if you can't hear sizzling through the door of a furnace or OWB, then allow us to refer you to an audiologist. ( Free referral BTW ). End checking is again only one indication of seasoning: no checking, no seasoning.

You want to use that MM, go for it. Most don't bother or have the time.

P.S. There's someone here who fancies him(her)self a Grammar Nazi; watch those "of"'s.:blob2:

And, Ted, the sit crew has already done the outting. They got the time and OCD.:givebeer:

I get it. But not everyone on here is a pro burner, probably why they join. Another thing, if I burn oil for 20 yrs, am I a pro oil burner? Also, ask some of the stove and furnace reps on here if they think that people that burn for years all know if there wood is seasoned or not. Just because someone was taught how to do something from his dad, and has been doing it all his life, does not meen he is right. Or that there is no better way of doing it.

If I only cut for my own use I would not need a moisture meter. I know when wood is ready to burn. However, customers want to know, so I have one.

I get a kick out of people who argue against MM's. They either choose to ignore the fact that a piece is split open and the center of that piece is checked, or they just plain don't listen to anyone who does not agree with them, not sure which it is. The pins need not go farther in than an 1/8 inch because 2 seconds ago, that WAS the center of the piece of wood! Geez, should I get out the crayons?:bang:

Of course you don't check every piece, just a few of them to get a general idea of the moisture content.

But, some folk just plain old buck technology-either from fear of it, or lack of understanding I guess.

Ted

For firewood, excepting sellers needing to 'show' silly customers the seasoning, and millers, Moisture Meters are a Male T_t : USELESS. USELESS. :bang: Damn, you want to have fun spending $$$, use it for good drink, or, or, buy your sweets something nice.

Hmm, Do you have a stereo in your truck? If we use your logic then it's worthless...a male tit. You should take that thing out and sell it, use the money to buy something to drink. :laugh: Does that truck have an air conditioner? Once again, worthless. A truck is simply a mode of transportation, suitable to haul cargo such as firewood. According to your philosophy anything on that truck that isn't absolutely necessary to transport said cargo is USELESS.
Ok, rant over.
Oh, by the way. I don't have a moisture meter either. :laugh:

Andy

Hmm, Do you have a stereo in your truck? If we use your logic then it's worthless...a male tit. You should take that thing out and sell it, use the money to buy something to drink. :laugh: Does that truck have an air conditioner? Once again, worthless. A truck is simply a mode of transportation, suitable to haul cargo such as firewood. According to your philosophy anything on that truck that isn't absolutely necessary to transport said cargo is USELESS.
Ok, rant over.
Oh, by the way. I don't have a moisture meter either. :laugh:

Andy

Dear Andrew:
How'd you know ? That stereo was sold. Worthless. The AC never was installed. Worthless indeed for here at least.
And yes, "....a truck IS simply a mode of transportation...." . What else ? A pocketbook ? You are the man.
P.S. Glad you decided to not get that Male T_t. :givebeer:

So: those 1/8" pins read 1/8" of the moisture in wood. You really want to get an accurate moisture level, get another tool ( hint-used to determine inner deck/hull
rot and water penetration). Wood it work ? See above tips on firewood seasoning from seasoned woodburners.:rock:

Dear Andrew:
How'd you know ? That stereo was sold. Worthless. The AC never was installed. Worthless indeed for here at least.
And yes, "....a truck IS simply a mode of transportation...." . What else ? A pocketbook ? You are the man.
P.S. Glad you decided to not get that Male T_t. :givebeer:

So: those 1/8" pins read 1/8" of the moisture in wood. You really want to get an accurate moisture level, get another tool ( hint-used to determine inner deck/hull
rot and water penetration). Wood it work ? See above tips on firewood seasoning from seasoned woodburners.:rock:

Oh, I can read most folks like a book. :cheers:

Andy

Oh, I can read most folks like a book. :cheers:

Andy

Andy, we should take a gathering and send you a moisture meter:msp_w00t:

Male tits are a good for something. Ask the guys who got them pierced...:msp_ohmy:

I met a customer this year who actually weighed a piece of wood then baked it, and re-weighed it to determine the moisture content.
I told him that I could have saved him the bother with the meter. He was not aware they existed....

-Pat

Male tits (M.T.) are a good for something. Ask the guys who got them pierced...:msp_ohmy:

I met a customer this year who actually weighed a piece of wood then baked it, and re-weighed it to determine the moisture content.
I told him that I could have saved him the bother with the meter. He was not aware they existed....

-Pat

Inconvenient Truth be told: those M.T. piercings are popular with those Left Coast persons. It's true. Ask. Google it. :taped:

Besides, that part of the body is oh so sensitive. That just got to hurt some. :msp_scared:

And, please Pat, what exactly are M.T.'s good for ? Please. :censored:

Male tits are a good for something. Ask the guys who got them pierced...:msp_ohmy:

-Pat

Haha. Hey Pat, if you want to send me one...I won't turn it down.
I happen to have a pair of male tit's, they must be worth something because I sure wouldn't put a price on parting with mine. :laugh:
When I was building furniture I had a moisture meter. If you need one, nothing else will do. If you want one, get it. If not, don't.
Did I mention that the high temperature here this July was 78 degrees, and that my truck has an air conditioner, an Am Fm CD stereo (and a couple of other places to hook things that I don't know what they are), power window's, power heated mirrors, and power steering? :hmm3grin2orange:

Andy

Latest posts

Back