Who's run out of wood, now scrounging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread. Let me ask something, I've been watching a 12 ft black locust laying in the ditch on this country road for a couple weeks...about 2 1/2 feet around. It's right next to a wooded area...could I get in trouble by hooking mu chain via P/U truck and skidding it out and bucking it up??...hate to see it go to waste...My God its locust!:dizzy:

When confronted with such a predicament I ask myself not could I get in trouble, but what is the likelihood that I will get in trouble. I could get in trouble even if I totally had permission to get that log. If I dashed in there and cut that log up and got the H#ll outa there, What is the likelihood that I'd get in trouble. Deep philosophical question there.

When confronted with such a predicament I ask myself not could I get in trouble, but what is the likelihood that I will get in trouble. I could get in trouble even if I totally had permission to get that log. If I dashed in there and cut that log up and got the H#ll outa there, What is the likelihood that I'd get in trouble. Deep philosophical question there.
Hmm...great food for thought...there's a house about 20 yards down...if it becomes irresistible...I'll ask them about it...I guess. lol

Most tax assessors records (at least out here in the north east) are online and have GIS mapping (plat maps). That and google earth and you can pretty much pin point where property lines are and who the owner is, be it the town or private citizen.

I have not run out of firewood. But, I have a nice debris field of uglies by my splitting area. Today I am going to gather them up and put in utility trailer to dry some. Then I toss them in a barrel. I am down to half a barrel of uglies I have been using. This weekend it will be warm so I will be splitting some rounds.

Now, only a few days after picking up, splitting, and stacking that blow down, the % moisture content of this ash is between 11 and 14! I can't freaking believe it, but the wood is burning great!

I have not run out of firewood. But, I have a nice debris field of uglies by my splitting area. Today I am going to gather them up and put in utility trailer to dry some. Then I toss them in a barrel. I am down to half a barrel of uglies I have been using. This weekend it will be warm so I will be splitting some rounds.

Funny that people in Texas are complaining about the cold. I heard some talking head on the news yesterday blaming this cold weather on GLOBAL WARMING

I would give just about anything right now to see a 20 degree day.

9:00 AM, 23°, headin' for 34° today... winter is over‼ ‼ ‼ :rock:

Ahhh... c'mon... today is nothin' but a friggin' tease... lookin' at only 14° tomorrow, more snow on Saturday, and a chance for an ice storm on Monday :(

9:00 AM, 23°, headin' for 34° today... winter is over‼ ‼ ‼ :rock:

Ahhh... c'mon... today is nothin' but a friggin' tease... lookin' at only 14° tomorrow, more snow on Saturday, and a chance for an ice storm on Monday :(

I was just PM'ing someone saying that there were'nt any - temps in the 10 day forecast, then I looked again. -5 for tomorrow night. Die, damn you, old man winter! We'll be back in the "average" category for the next week though, if the guessers are close to right.

Gonna be running the loader on Sat or Sun digging out to the woodpile. What shoulda got me well into March and maybe lasted the season in a good year is gone. Now the featured player in my stove: Cottonwood. Gonna have to find some kindling down in the shed, I'll have a lot of cold stoves after a long night at work.

...-5 for tomorrow night. We'll be back in the "average" category for the next week though...

Just -1° for us here, but finally a nice warm-up next week with predictions above freezing starting on Monday. Really, if the "weather guessers" are correct, we're gonna' be just a touch above normal next week. It does offer a glimmer of hope we've turned the corner on winter... don't it?? I'm sure hopin' this signals the end of negative numbers anyway... even that would cheer people up. Man, mid-30's‼ That's gonna' feel like June‼

I feel for ya'. I've been there.
My buddy has been by twice in the last 2 weeks in the same boat. Last week he catches me in the shed while I'm unloading and splitting an Ash I got on the truck. I sez to him lets throw a row of this on your truck,,He doesn't want it he says, Let me just grab a couple armloads of that purty orange Hedge!! I couldn't believe it, he starts grabbing my Hedge,:eek:, I ran him off. :dizzy:
If you were close, I'd get ya' couple days worth of Ash, unless you were to get to eyeballin' my Hedge!! LOL!
you almost have to question his "buddy" status......

I hear you on that. I'm talking about along the expressway, or on this old abandoned brown site in my area. Theres a very large cloverleaf out along the highway where 2 mains meet. There is probably 40 acres of woods among this area. All Penn Dot property. I cut wood there on a don't ask don't tell kind of arrangement. So do other people. If a tree falls there you best have a saw with you because its gone quick. Theres another large track that's owned by an old mining company. Our Township guys can't even tell you who exactly the owner is. That's another hit and git spot. Like I said wood opossums.
go to the county tax people,,they know who own it!!! its called taxes!!!!! which they LOVE!!!

quote="mainewoods, post: 4695245, member: 40238"]Ahhh- the life of a wood vulture. Circle -wait - swoop in. They should thank you guys for cleaning up the environment!:clap::D[/quote]
not so..the peta types want the tree left there,,to rot,,to support the worms,,,,,,, and such...

Call the county maintenance dept, give them the location ask them maybe? Or is there a house right there, looks like it fell off their land? Or does it look like a log that fell off a truck, no nearby stump or anything?
dont disagree,,but guess what?? in this area,,the county types,,take the wood for themselves.. cut it on taxpayer time, with OUR saws,,OUR gas, OUR loader, and OUR taxes for their labor..damn nice setup,no????

Up here the state owns 33 1/3' from the center line. If the landowner turns out to be a jerk and the tree is on his "side", he could get you on a theft charge. JMO

Hmm...great food for thought...there's a house about 20 yards down...if it becomes irresistible...I'll ask them about it...I guess. lol
Back in the day I used to use that reasoning when dumpster diving. I pains me to this day to see perfectly good building material getting buried in a landfill.

dont disagree,,but guess what?? in this area,,the county types,,take the wood for themselves.. cut it on taxpayer time, with OUR saws,,OUR gas, OUR loader, and OUR taxes for their labor..damn nice setup,no????

The land owners on the road can't keep their own trees? Or is it once the county starts cutting, it is their wood?

The land owners on the road can't keep their own trees? Or is it once the county starts cutting, it is their wood?

Depends on local laws. I think it was mainewoods above that mentioned the municipality owning the right of way there. "Here", it's just an easement, and my property extends to the road centerline. The township has the right to cut trees in the easement for safety purposes, etc., but the trees are mine. If they want to take them, they need my permission to do so. Mostly, "Here", they just mulch low hanging branches with a boom mower and try to minimize the amount of actual work they have to do.

Back