Why am I not sold on the Echo TimberWolf?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7 out of 10 times I go to Home Depot 590 is sold out---Hurry and buy before the price increase!! Mine is stock-just checked carb adjustment and run--David
Are local HD doesn't have anything bigger the the cs400. Only saw I'd buy there is one of there 64xx Makita rentals. I ran my 590 stone stock for about a year limiters on the carb and all. There a good running saw stock.

If you look around you’ll have guys trying to talk you to their brand of saw but if you pay attention you don’t see 590 owners telling you not to buy it. I can be wrong but every 590 owner I know has no real complaints and is pleased with the 590.

Let me know where you’re seeing new 590s for under $300, I’ll buy more.
To the OP.
You can’t pull the trigger because you’ve probably had a mindset that unless you buy a Pro saw it’s not worth it. The 590 with a muffler mod and retuned is an animal. Figure in the cost and how it runs and it’s in a class by itself, at the head of that class.
best i see is around 320 every few weeks

I have a 590 that I bought new a few years ago. It's a great stock saw. A Echo dealer had it on his shelf for a while, and nobody would buy it, because it wasn't a Stihl or a Husqvarna. I got a "fair" deal on it, because I like Echo products. Have not used it very much, but when I have, I was impressed. Mine has the stock 20" bar/chain.

The 590 is a great saw. You won't be disappointed. Echo saws are extremely reliable and well built. I understand guys have their preference but give it a chance. Guarantee you'll like it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Go price all 59cc range saws with a all metal crankcase -husky-stihl-jonsered-dolmar. First saw I bought new 20 years ago-42cc craftsman/poulan. Always started and ran--but little power and vibrated till your hands hurt. I got into the vintage saws 5 years ago and after reading here and other places decided to get a cs-590. I am pretty tight about spending $400 on a saw just like you . Now I wish I had bought a better saw way back when--This thing makes wood cutting fun--Gave my craftsman with storage case,original paperwork with 2 chains to a neighbor for a backup saw to his husky---David:drinkingcoffee: PS-Don't worry I have a few good all metal saws for backup:innocent:

I am in the market for a reliable saw to cut firewood and clean up storm damage. I currently run a Poulan Pro 5020AV and alternate with a Craftsman Pro Series. Truth be told, I guess I don't really need a new saw. However, I found a good, well maintained used Echo Timber Wolf for a very reasonable price. I've read the reviews, studied them up close at Home Depot, and perused the YouTube vids and the Echo website. Virtually all the literature says the TWolf is a terrific saw.

Why can't I commit to this thing? I am casually looking at the Huskys and Stihls but am confident I won't be able to match the price of the TWolf. What's holding me back?
Ebay has them often for 300.00 shipped that's what i paid i bought 2 and never used the second one.
I gave 600 for a 261 stihl but always ussd the echo.
I'm not one for telling people to get their saw's ported.
But there is a lot more to be had in these saw's.
If interested Check out some vids red97 has some excellent results porting them.
Several of my friends bought 490 and 590 after trying mine.

I can't see where I'd go wrong. I appreciate the feedback. The owner dropped his price from $250 to $200. That's hard to beat from what I am seeing. I am not afraid of the Echo brand, but I think there's some truth to the fact I am not as familiar with it as Stihl or Husqvarna. The only fellow I know who runs an Echo likes his but it is a smaller model. I know many here port and otherwise modify saws but that's not me. I'd use it as is. I'll get a closer look Wed. or Thursday and probably snag it assuming he will hold it for me.

Ebay has them often for 300.00 shipped that's what i paid i bought 2 and never used the second one.
I gave 600 for a 261 stihl but always ussd the echo.
I'm not one for telling people to get their saw's ported.
But there is a lot more to be had in these saw's.
If interested Check out some vids red97 has some excellent results porting them.
Several of my friends bought 490 and 590 after trying mine.
Joes saws are real strong runners. Talked to him about getting my 490 done. The 590 responds pretty well to a simple muffler mod to.

Welcome buck---Chainsaws are a good hobby for people--cheaper than restoring chevy vetts. STOCK cs-590--David--Throw more $ in and buy a new one with waranty and no history.
That may be another sticking point, buying a used saw. I have been burned before when I bought a Husky with a scored piston. I don't need the headache that comes with something like that. At the current price point, maybe the fellow is selling me a lemon? I don't know. This may be me trying to take advantage of a good deal that ultimately may be "too good to be true." I think the 590, from what I have read, is a lot of saw for $200...if it runs...

I can't see where I'd go wrong. I appreciate the feedback. The owner dropped his price from $250 to $200. That's hard to beat from what I am seeing. I am not afraid of the Echo brand, but I think there's some truth to the fact I am not as familiar with it as Stihl or Husqvarna. The only fellow I know who runs an Echo likes his but it is a smaller model. I know many here port and otherwise modify saws but that's not me. I'd use it as is. I'll get a closer look Wed. or Thursday and probably snag it assuming he will hold it for me.
I have 4 Echo saws and all have been great. I remove the limiter tabs to get a proper tune and run them stock. Some of the easiest starting equipment I own no matter what the conditions are. If it runs, you're getting a great deal on that saw.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back