Why am I not sold on the Echo TimberWolf?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not trying to hijack but I've read others say this also...I've had a hell of a time starting my 600p to the point I had to walk away from it. Most times it starts fine, but every so often you can yank till your arm falls off and it won't fire. I've had to walk away from it a few times and grab another. Am I missing something or is there a known good starting method?

Not trying to hijack but I've read others say this also...I've had a hell of a time starting my 600p to the point I had to walk away from it. Most times it starts fine, but every so often you can yank till your arm falls off and it won't fire. I've had to walk away from it a few times and grab another. Am I missing something or is there a known good starting method?

My 490 and 590s I pull the choke, yank the starter until I hear the engine pop, shut the choke off and pull the starter rope. 2 pulls tops and it’s running.

Ebay has them often for 300.00 shipped that's what i paid i bought 2 and never used the second one.
I gave 600 for a 261 stihl but always ussd the echo.
I'm not one for telling people to get their saw's ported.
But there is a lot more to be had in these saw's.
If interested Check out some vids red97 has some excellent results porting them.
Several of my friends bought 490 and 590 after trying mine.
Hey Grey Ghost, would you be interested in trading for that second 590? WV, depending where, ain’t that far for me to make a road trip.

The two i have 3-5 pulls to pop with the choke on.
Then choke in 1 to run i don't use the decomp.
Anyone remember inital carb settings for the 590?
I pulled the limiters and muff modded mine.
You're carb may need adjusted.

Never had a problem starting mine, usually a cold start requires about 4 pulls, if it is warm it will take a 1/2 quick pull. My thinking on this is number 1, make sure your chainsaw is tuned right, second make sure to use fresh fuel and not fuel that has been setting in it several weeks. Pull Choke out until you hear it pop then push it in, Never fails for me.

Thanks gents for the replies. Maybe it could be the fuel, sometimes I'll have some mix that's been sitting around a month or 2 but never had a problem except in this saw.
Other than that I like the saw. The mag case, good anti-vibe, and power are damn impressive for what it costs.

I had a stihl ms 290 and ms 390 stopped in the echo dealer. And bought a 620 tried it out and immediately sold both of the stihls I had much nicer to use sips fuel compared to my stihls I had And so much nicer to use. In my opinion echo saws are awesome just my opinion I cut about 10-15 cord a yr and if anything happened to mine I would buy another one tomorrow. Good luck with whatever you do

When i buy a used saw i always insist on taking the muffler off while its cool and looking at the piston.....Years ago i bought way to many saws for to much money to fix up only to get a saw with a bad p/c.... it will still run if its lightly scored.....if he wont allow you to do that its a huge red flag....Check local pawn shops and the bay ..even craig list ...like i said there is a pawn shop here that sells them new in a box320 cs 590 280 for the cs 490....even then i would make sure it had never cut wood... if i found saw dust i would make him let me check the piston....and haggle a better price....i would buy new if i could people are dumb asses and run the hell of saws for storm clean up then sell.... if used check the piston through exhaust check the plug and air filterlook for broken springs etc......if you take your time you should be able to find one new for 320ish good luck.https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/tls/d/echo-chainsaw-model-cs-590/6466890891.html here is one i found in about a minute local....

I can't see where I'd go wrong. I appreciate the feedback. The owner dropped his price from $250 to $200. That's hard to beat from what I am seeing. I am not afraid of the Echo brand, but I think there's some truth to the fact I am not as familiar with it as Stihl or Husqvarna. The only fellow I know who runs an Echo likes his but it is a smaller model. I know many here port and otherwise modify saws but that's not me. I'd use it as is. I'll get a closer look Wed. or Thursday and probably snag it assuming he will hold it for me.
Mate i have a few Stihls, a few Echos, and mix of other stuff. The Echos are far better than "Farm Boss" range of Stihls for sure. They are a long life saw mate

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They are a decent saw. Just wish they changed that kill switch and had flip caps. Minor things you can live with for the price tho.
Why would anyone want those useless over-engineered add ons? Serouly the flip caps break, stick and leak, and a toggle switch is simple and functional, and cost nothing to replace.

Have a mmws 600p and never had a problem, I had a tree service take and clean the tops out of 3 huge oaks the 8th. and he had never run a ported saw. I have a 461,262 both ported by mmws and the saw I gave him to run was the 600p. He was blown away after 4 cookies and his father who started the business 45 years ago took the pen out of his pocket and started writing addresses down . I also priced him every ported saw I have. The echos are solid saws IMO.

Latest posts

Back