Why an axe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just curious why most all use an axe to drive a wedge. Have yet to see a vid of someone using an axe to get them out of a bind. Why not carry a small ball peen, sledge or splitting tool?
I used to carry an extra bar and chain as well as a junker saw for whoops.

What got me to asking this is that some nice axe companies do not advise using thier choppers to drive steel headed wedges.

toby

To chop out the wedges and saw when all else fails.
or Shovel and axe are required by state fire law, just handy not to carry another tool.

I always carry an 17" Fiskars axe/hatchet-sort of halfway between both I guess.I carry it on my belt and hardly know it's there.It would seem a waste to carry the weight and not be able to cut or chop something with it as well-if you got in a jam.

When I was young my father and grandfather always brought axes with them when they went out chopping. In those days chainsaws were too big to use for limbing so that was done with an axe. I always bring one with me but rarely cut anything with it. It does get used to drive in felling wedges when needed.

I use a three pound drilling hammer to drive wedges, never an axe. I carry the hammer and the wedges in a 5 gallon plastic pail.

Keep in mind I am usually with 100' of my truck. If I was carrying everything through the woods I would do it differently.

When I was young my father and grandfather always brought axes with them when they went out chopping. In those days chainsaws were too big to use for limbing so that was done with an axe. I always bring one with me but rarely cut anything with it. It does get used to drive in felling wedges when needed.

That sounds just like the way we use to do it also

I still carry a 3 /12 lbs short handle axe every time I go in to knock down tress; even thu my truck is close by

I use a light maul. And yes, I have chopped myself out of a pinch with it a time or two (I wouldnt make a habit of it). Drives wedges just fine.

Why an axe? - cuz it is so damn satisfying splitting wood with one I guess! I don't even have one by the way - I use wedges, 10 lb maul, and a hatchet to help with splitting logs, think I am going to get a nice axe though, after using the hatchet to help split some semi split pieces I sure miss using an axe..

An axe is just something else to fall on and slpit yourself open IMO. Thats another reason I don't carry one while cutting trees. That, and the fact that I've never had to use it.

Because after spending a bunch of money on a Wetterling Scandanavian Forest Axe because it was so dang cool, I felt like I better get some use out it? And BTW it's awesome.

I use a 4# dead blow hammer from Harbor Freight. Bright orange and it works, also carry a DB axe, never had a use for SB. Everything fits well in the truck or Ranger bed rack.

Why an axe? - cuz it is so damn satisfying splitting wood with one I guess! I don't even have one by the way - I use wedges, 10 lb maul, and a hatchet to help with splitting logs, think I am going to get a nice axe though, after using the hatchet to help split some semi split pieces I sure miss using an axe..

Oh no, another one ... FAD coming to a splitting block near you ......

i use an axe to drive in plastic wedges, but i used a 3lb sledge to drive in the metal ones if im really in a bind. thing with using an axe is the metal is harder and tends to chip off, a sledge is softer and doesnt. (atleast in my limited experience)

I will carry one with me just in case I need one, but for getting a saw un pinched I don't mess with another bar and chain or a axe. I just carry a small Homelite 150 and that always gets it un pinched went I tend to get it pinched rarely. Might be a hastle to carry another saw to some, but it pays off in the end.

I use a three pound drilling hammer to drive wedges, never an axe. I carry the hammer and the wedges in a 5 gallon plastic pail.

Keep in mind I am usually with 100' of my truck. If I was carrying everything through the woods I would do it differently.

Are you copying me? Or am I copying you??

I use a 4# dead blow hammer from Harbor Freight. Bright orange and it works, also carry a DB axe, never had a use for SB. Everything fits well in the truck or Ranger bed rack.

?How can you write that with a straight face. It makes no sense. You're so manly you have to use some 4# dead blow hammer and then a Single Bit isn't tough enough you need a Double Bit axe and yet you have NEVER HAD A USE FOR A Single Bit???????????????

That doesn't even make any sense. Do you grunt loudly as you hold your Paul Bunyan Double Bit over your shoulder while looking down at the small people that use Single Bit axes, LOL.

You're too manly for me, LOL.

Sam

Back