Why are Stihls regarded as the "best"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a chainsaw forum, not a high school class. This is the 2nd time you've busted some ones balls over punctuation. If you dont like reading what people have to say,find something else to do,or keep it to your self.

Whatever you say Sparky... and it's "someone's"

In my opinion, Get whatever saw you like the dealer for the most, aka if there is 15 stihl dealers close by, that you do not like, but 1 dolmar dealer thats 15 miles away and you do like, go with the dolmar. Thats what I would do. I just bought a new stihl ms290 because, the dealer is 5 min away and a decent local mom and pop place, therefor I purchased my saw there. If there would of been a Husky or J-red dealer close by and not a Stihl dealer then I would of picked 1 of them. All of the top brands make very good machines, some are gems, some are turds but that same applies for all the manufactures.

I don't remember any of this brand animosity between McCulloch and Homelite guys. We argued technique, skill level and production rates. What chainsaw you choose to use rarely entered the conversation. However we were professionals, with a demanding job that required a high skill level, when you asked someone how their saw is working out for them, you got an honest answer. We didn't waste time deriding a personal choice in equipment, if it worked, you kept using it, if it didn't, you ditched it.

Very well said!!!

OrsonWellesClap.gif

To quote Ben Kenobi regarding the light saber- "An elegant weapon for a more civilized age. "

Blonde,brunette or redhead??? It's ALL good! I have mostly Stihl stuff, just a preference, but if I was in a bind for a saw, any would be fine.

Steve

Stihls vs Huskys

In Canada they're priced a little below Husqvarna. Funny thing... Everyone here buys Huskys and I think I know why. Every Stihl I used are too heavy for their performance. That's the main complain I hear, even from me.

Stihl fans always rant about their lifespan, but they aren't better than Husky IMHO. Hell. Dolmar and Echo are probably just as strong If you keep care of em.

( Stihl have Sh!T gas and oil caps as well. Can't believe more people deal with that.)

I have both saws stihl and husky,i do find me grabbing the husky more due to the weight ,and to my little poulans .its just preferance.
:rock:

You guys are hilarious.

I have probably ten different brands of saws. Most of them are fairly old. I like them all. If I buy a saw and I don't like it, it goes down the road. Anyone who sticks to one brand because of the color of the paint is missing out on a lot of great saws and a lot of fun. They all make great saws and they all make turds, so buy the good ones and leave the turds regardless what it says on the side.

That's my two cents. Did I use enough ####ing punctuation????:msp_sneaky:

I don't remember any of this brand animosity between McCulloch and Homelite guys. We argued technique, skill level and production rates. What chainsaw you choose to use rarely entered the conversation. However we were professionals, with a demanding job that required a high skill level, when you asked someone how their saw is working out for them, you got an honest answer. We didn't waste time deriding a personal choice in equipment, if it worked, you kept using it, if it didn't, you ditched it.

Professional vs. enthusiast. Most if not all of the members here are chainsaw enthusiasts, while a good percentage (myself included) are not professionals. It is understandable imo there is a substantial focus on the tool itself: the chainsaw. Heck if arboristsite and the internet existed and was widespread in the 60s, 70s, and 80s im sure these deabtes would exist between homelite and mcculloch users.

For the pro faller I think, on the other hand, the bottomline is production of good quality logs and pride in their work. A skilled logger can pick up any brand of saw and use it. Skill is what counts in production what brand you use is irregardless. If someone is parading about the quality of a particular brand but is lacking in skill well that brand will do them little good in terms of production. At the same time you can change what saw and brand you use at the snap of a finger but your individual skillset is something that takes years to acquire. That is what is unique to the individual loggerand what they take pride in, that is their life as far as the tool goes anyone can buy it and use it, nothing unique about it.

They are the best for three reasons...

1) They have more metal in the same size package as the competition..therefor weigh a little more per cc
2) They require a few more dollars per cc vs. the competion
3) They do a good job of funding the lift kits for their dealers diesel trucks.

:blob2::msp_biggrin:

You got a problem with lifted diesel trucks ???

I guess you Husky fans girlie girls like...what ....toyota prius's ??? Maybe a Chevy Volt toaster oven thingee...

Yup I knew it ...Husky and Prius....perfect together...oh and probably a little white wine too.

Weimedog I hope you know I'm pullin your leg... :)

Last edited:
Sorry, but I have to

Sorry, but I have to point out that "someone's" denotes someone is. Whereas "someones" is the proper term here, it denotes singular possessive IE someones mad mind.

Not an english teacher, but I work for a school system.

Sorry, but I have to point out that "someone's" denotes someone is. Whereas "someones" is the proper term here, it denotes singular possessive IE someones mad mind.

:msp_biggrin: Y'all are crazy.

So, why is Stihl best again? :jester:

Well, I guess there's something to be said for brand loyalty.

Our father swore by GM and wouldn't own anything else. Me, I liked my Fords. Both will get you from A to B. With both brands, you spend a little more to get a better ride.

Pop had a car note. I didn't. In 1977, Dad paid more for the FM stereo radio in his new Olds than I paid for my 10-year-old Ford sedan. And the Ford had an under-dash FM stereo radio in it when I got it. Go figure. :D

An old boy I worked with when I was a teenager swore by his ancient Stihl saw. I'd have sworn that thing came over on the Mayflower... but it ran all day long. And he was a guy who poured straight gas in the tank, added a little 2-cycle oil and shook the saw before starting it.

He felled trees all day with that ancient heavyweight Stihl, making room for canal dredging.

Stihl is an old workhorse brand. It has a good rep for taking a licking and still ticking.

It's all in what you want. :)

You're fighting a losing battle. When George Bush junior used "drug" for "dragged" I knew all was lost in the grammar forum.

I prefer a red, usually a cheeky little Shiraz (Syrah for you lot over there) ;)

And as for vehicles, as with saws and most things in life, real individuals think outside the square.......

attachment.php

:D

I'm with you Rick....love the Syrah...Merlot more and of course the "mother lands own" Chianti rules the table....

Love the truck...buuuuuut....if you're gonna catch the babes it needs to be lifted and some bi gass tires need to be added. Its just the way we roll out here in the Country. And as Weimdog said...you need to be a "stihl" dealer to afford that stuff...can't afford that on a "husky" salesmen salary....

hehe

Latest posts

Back