Why are Stihls regarded as the "best"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how you lift a 4x4....and Stihl would love to match the quality of materials used and the machining tollerences of these

232681d1333878040-md-front-portal-jpg

Well we could hope that chainsaw quality could match the tolerances and quality of a GE NX jet engine but I dont think any one would wanna buy a 250,000 dollar chainsaw
You could have a titanium cases, inconel rods, machine tolerances within 0.0005" single crystal grown pistons ,carbon seals ,preasurised bearing chambers, cumputerised cooling system of cylinder to keep cylinder at optimum fit to piston, a minimum life expectancey of 20,000 hours before over haul it would be great:jester:

Just poking with my stick

Well, I guess there's something to be said for brand loyalty.

Our father swore by GM and wouldn't own anything else. Me, I liked my Fords. Both will get you from A to B. With both brands, you spend a little more to get a better ride.

Pop had a car note. I didn't. In 1977, Dad paid more for the FM stereo radio in his new Olds than I paid for my 10-year-old Ford sedan. And the Ford had an under-dash FM stereo radio in it when I got it. Go figure. :D

An old boy I worked with when I was a teenager swore by his ancient Stihl saw. I'd have sworn that thing came over on the Mayflower... but it ran all day long. And he was a guy who poured straight gas in the tank, added a little 2-cycle oil and shook the saw before starting it.

He felled trees all day with that ancient heavyweight Stihl, making room for canal dredging.

Stihl is an old workhorse brand. It has a good rep for taking a licking and still ticking.

It's all in what you want. :)

Sorry, but I have to point out that "someone's" denotes someone is. Whereas "someones" is the proper term here, it denotes singular possessive IE someones mad mind.

Not an english teacher, but I work for a school system.

Well, I guess Stihls are regarded as the "best", because, well....

They are the best...

:potstir:

You're fighting a losing battle. When George Bush junior used "drug" for "dragged" I knew all was lost in the grammar forum.

Whoa, what happened?
and where are your 460 and 660?

I feel lucky here, our saw shop sell's and service's both Husqvarna saws, and the grey and orange saws, support for both has been great. as for the best, alot of the cutters around here have them both , kind of a flip of the coin who's the best.

Some Stihl Reps doled out here.:)

DUH , Stihl's are built by the master race :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

No , seriously it's because they sponser the Stihl timbersports series :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
That , is a brilliant marketing scheme . Why is it only Stihl saws @ these events ( stock classes ) ?
2 million people watching only Stihl's on ESPN ...... BRILLIANT .....

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
Do you know why these smiley's are HUSKY orange ? Because us Huskheads are laughing at the competition .

Blonde,brunette or redhead??? It's ALL good! I have mostly Stihl stuff, just a preference, but if I was in a bind for a saw, any would be fine.

Steve

Like Steve said I have almost all Stihl. My Husky 372XP is great except of one thing that I find major. Stihl has captured screws and Husky doesn't. I never have to tighten up my Stihl Screws ever, and I tighten my Husky's screws all the time and I use the Husky less. That may seem like a small issue but it makes a difference to me :msp_smile:

As stated before, this post could go on and on for infinity. Here's my .02 cents.....

Husky has the air filtration NAILED in the XP line. Period.

The Pro Stihls are a more durable saw, period. If they were designed a little differently they too could have 'copied' the air filtration like a Husky. And I am sure someday they will.

Dolmar (Makita) saws are probably the best built saw of modern times, esp. for the money.

That said, I really don't want to own ANY of this modern plastic garbage from ANY company, so I'll stick to my old magnesium......all old Stihls!!! (oh and a couple of old Pro Macs!)

Now that you mention it I see the saw now,well it looks like a saw anyway.

In Canada they're priced a little below Husqvarna. Funny thing... Everyone here buys Huskys and I think I know why. Every Stihl I used are too heavy for their performance. That's the main complain I hear, even from me.

Stihl fans always rant about their lifespan, but they aren't better than Husky IMHO. Hell. Dolmar and Echo are probably just as strong If you keep care of em.

( Stihl have Sh!T gas and oil caps as well. Can't believe more people deal with that.)
Depends what neck of the woods you are in. And yep as mentioned dealers around, if you only see Stihl dealers in an area, then you may only see stihl saws. A real good friend of mine got me into husqvarna, in a bout 1998. I grew up on Mac's and Homelite, then Stihl and quickly went all Stihl for years. My buddy was a professionla faller, and in his area not far from me, where alot of husky guys. Since I have run, and own Stihl, Husky, echo. Found all three rock solid, and reliable. Never run a Dolmar, or Solo but know they have made some legendary saws, and have a great following. I would take a 9010, or 166 any day of the week. You will find alot is based on personal opinion.

The best brand is the one with the best local dealer......Good local service and parts=Good saw.

Is that a big bar on that thing or is she little and HOT? Advertizing like that must sell saws. I like my Husqvarna's and I do think they rule but pictures like that get your attention.

Back when I was in high school, I had some rednecks I was grouped with. Most the guys in school would be fighting over girls, but us misfits would have knockdown dragouts over chainsaw brands!!!! AHHHHH the chainsaws fight legacy lives on:clap:

We used to fight over Husky vs Stihl, Winchester vs Marlin, and of course Ford vs. Chevy.

Winchester vs. marlin ? I thought everybody knew ruger was number 1

Winchester vs. marlin ? I thought everybody knew ruger was number 1

The 10/22, Best 22 EVER made! The 22 pistols are nice too there revolvers are gr8 too! but thats where it stops for ruger with me, however I wouldn't have a problem owning the new 1911 either :rock:

Latest posts

Back