Why do men like chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundhead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
View attachment 315637
about 2 years ago, we bought a house with 4.4 acres and lots of trees. I knew I would need a chainsaw so I found a used MS 290 at a pawn shop for less than 2 bills out the door. it ran for awhile then quit. I took it to a repair shop and gave them $30 to diagnose the problem. came back and said it needs about $300 worth of repair (cylinder was fried; I must have straight gassed it or had a major air l? eak). he was kind enough to offer me a good deal on a new saw. I like to take things apart and see if I can fix them so I tried. after a few pistons and flywheels, I managed to get it running and was very happy to sell it for $190. long story short, I now have a garage full of stihl things: weedeaters, backpack blowers, hedge trimmers, concrete saw, and a bunch of chainsaws in various stages of repair.
and I am not alone.
So I was wondering, why do we like chainsaws so much? is it to display our manly dominion over nature or are we just big kids? anyone else wonder about this or care to opine?

simple,,,,, every time you grab a chain saw it will put out,,,, something our wives won't do:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Well considering I am technically a kid still, the big kid thing might have something to do with it. They are fun though. I think another part of it is just the pure power. Hit a 60 inch log with an axe until you cut it. Now do it with a chainsaw. It's pretty awesome if you really think about it.

It's simple. They are ( sometimes) cantankerous, very dangerous, and difficult to use efficiently. They're a multi-dimensional challenge.

Some get satisfaction from meeting that challenge, and the product they enable us to produce gets more valuable by the year.

Some go for "exercise class", some wouldn't be caught dead there. :hmm3grin2orange:

simple,,,,, every time you grab a chain saw it will put out,,,, something our wives won't do:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

A crass, low-brow thing to say at the very least.

Being a man is many things. If you are married it is tied into the genetic make-up of being a man. We protect and provide for the family.

A tree laying on the ground is just cellulose. It does nothing in and of itself. If it is in the way, then it must be moved, and the only convenient way to move a large heavy object is to make it several small pieces easily and conveniently moved. Better still a man will see a tree as being a potential source of warmth and comfort for his family. Just like I saw a moose as 500 pounds of meat for my MIL who has no-one to hunt for her. She was so grateful for the meat she began to weep. I derive great satisfaction from knowing she has plenty of meat for the winter to feed herself and my many nieces and nephews.

I gather fallen or standing dead trees because I can. And because I know they will be a source of warmth and comfort to my family. If the power goes out (and it does here), a nice warm fire keeps everyone warm and comfortable. It is relatively easy to do, and give me the satisfaction that I am doing something to protect my family. It is my responsibility.

As for the saw, it is a tool, an extremely useful tool. At least on here, chainsaws are brought back from the dead and dying with low-cost, minimal effort, and the satisfaction of doing that is a personal thing. But it comes back to protecting the family. A man has taken something that is not useful, and made it useful again without a strain on the family budget. Having several saws or the desire to bring saws back up to snuff is a thing of personal satisfaction many (and at least on this forum), most men enjoy doing. It is a therapeutic action, something the man can do for his own personal pleasure away from the pressures of the office and family. And it can be plain fun.

Nitroman, I loved your post! It is truly inspiring! I was so impressed I read it to my wife. She lifted her feet half way through the reading. You try to be sincere, lay bare your heart and thats the thanks you get. Press on men.

I think the thread has ferreted out a common issue people have with their spouse. maybe we should give up the saws and take up quilting. may improve our marriages

Function, practical, does lots of work, yadda, yadda...

I live in a country town and the next door neighbour comes up from the city about every three months to work on his property. This time he brought a couple of teenage city kids that were friends of his son. I was working out at the saw mill and brought home four big rounds to be cut up.

The kids got to noodle up the rounds. PPE and supervision - and grins all around. I think they took more pictures of the cutting, and wearing the chaps and helmet, than they took of anything else. I expect the pictures were on Facebook that night.

I'll go with the 'big kids'.

I'm no logger but I cut a fair amount of firewood. To me it's so cool to see a large tree disappear into firewood in a matter of hours and then heat my house with it. The chainsaw is indeed a manly mans tool.

Like ?

Any normal chainsaw gets about as much attention from me as a walk behind mower. If the grass needs mowing, then I guess this thing will have to do. Now a ported professional saw, thats a horse of a different color. Kinda like a 30 HP Z mower. Ported tuned and matched with a sharp chain thats quite a bit beyond like. I'll loan out a saw I like. I wont loan out ported saws. They are similar to a friend. And my bond with my friends goes beyond like.

Kinda like my wife is with high heel shoes and purses. Its way beyond like.

Peace

I take pride in making things work. The problem is that I get attached to the stuff I fix... I have been called Sanford by old friends.

My latest "project" was rebuilding
an old Stihl TS400 that a dealer basket-cased. In fact he basket-cased this saw twice, and I put it back on duty twice. I traded that saw yesterday for landscape work.

It was difficult for me to let it go again. Even though I have two more......

They are radical machines!! What true Tim the tool man Taylor kind of guy doesn't like a loud screaming obnoxious chainsaw. I was told some chainsaws have more power to weight ratio than some race cars, that's pretty awesome in my opinion. They are tools in the end but it sure is fun tickleing a rank a$$ power saw with my little finger . Let er eat!!

Latest posts

Back