Why do men like chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if truth be known, its not just the chainsaw we like. Very few of us just use a chainsaw to cut cookies. I am sure some on here are more into the saws than anything but usually the saws are a means to an end. I am sure on this forum you will find the whole spectrum of people represented. For some they are a tool of their trade, a toy to be played with a product to sell or one to repair. Personally, I love being in the woods, the trees and everything else associated with it. I love cutting wood, splitting, stacking and burning wood. For most of us if there were no chainsaws we would still be gathering wood and harvesting it with some other method just like my dad and grandfather did before chainsaws came on the scene... but, Man, I am glad they did, way more fun and productive than cutting wood with an axe.

Just yesterday someone walked into the barn when I got home from the races (last race of the season) when I was getting a saw ready for today and ask me how many saws I had and then something hit the fan !

I've always liked messing around with small engines, be it two or four-stroke. Rebuilt my first two-stroke engine at age 10.

First time I hit 60 mph on a modified riding lawn mower was at age 13. :D

How did it cut at that speed?

I think the thread has ferreted out a common issue people have with their spouse. maybe we should give up the saws and take up quilting. may improve our marriages

Is quilting dangerous ?
Does Randy port quilts ???? (Or is it quilt ports ?)

I know marriage is dangerous ....and loud...and did i mention dangerous...

It is very simple...

We like saws because they are fun!!

When doesn't a great running saw bring a smile to your face?

I'm a cheap b-tard. For $10 in saw fuel, $20 in splitter fuel I can heat the house. Depending on the winter, I may need to double that. Either way, In one year the cost of a $600 saw is recouped. My last new saw is 20 years old and had only needed a new cyl due to a broke ring. That's a lot of savings!

Not to mention I don't need to pay for a gym membership! Even more savings.

You know.... maybe I should have gotten a more expensive saw with all that saved money.... ?

They're big, loud, powerful, loud, dangerous, loud, destructive, loud, and the only tool I have that I can hear when it's running, But, only because I gutted the muffler to make it more powerful and louder, Joe.

P.S. plus, some of them just look cool:

Outside of a firearm, name one tool that used by one man is more effective.When a big tree hits the ground it makes a huge mess.One guy with a decent saw can bring order out of chaos in a fairly timely manner.

One of the main reasons I like saws is because I always have a lot of large projects going on that seem to never get done. It makes me happy to take a broken saw apart, mess with it some and for ten bucks in parts and an hour or two of labor have it running and back in service. I get some closure from this that is missing from my everyday activity.

The other is that I can afford saws but what I would really like is a 600hp drag racing car....

Oh, the loud, dangerous, and all that stuff is a good point too.

Outside of a firearm, name one tool that used by one man is more effective.When a big tree hits the ground it makes a huge mess.One guy with a decent saw can bring order out of chaos in a fairly timely manner.

Well, one guy in the seat of an excavator...

And one guy in the seat of an A-10 Warthog can make chaos out of order in a very short time...

Back