Why do pro saws last longer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All three are muffler modded using Super mufflers and one has some specisl internals done, sure makes them lively.

I modded my 028S muffler on my 028S, but the engine is stock. Maybe someday I will mod it, but I want to put a season of firewood cutting on it first.

I modded my 028S muffler on my 028S, but the engine is stock. Maybe someday I will mod it, but I want to put a season of firewood cutting on it first.

Probably a good idea, had mine apart to replace a piston damaged by the previous owners son,posted about that earlier on another thread, opened intake and exhaust ports and running without base gasket.

My 2 cents on the Stihl 025/250

" Why do pro saws last longer?
I read the thread about the guy who cuts a zillion cords of wood with his Stihl 250's. I have newer saws but do like the old 250 and wonder how bad they really are. I know that Troll says a Stihl 250 is made entirely out of recycled Pepsi bottles and that they are only suitable when mounted on the wall with the bar protruding to hold toilet paper. But do the pro models all last longer than the roughly comparable homeowner's saw? I hear that the 390's have had problems but is that the case for all of the homeowner's models? If the durability is greater, why is that the case?

To take as examples, the Stihl 250 and 260. Clearly the Pro saw has more power and a better power/weight ratio, and of course the split magnesium crankcase for ease of repair. But the piston, bar, chain, oiler, recoil starter, fuel tank, hoses, vibration dampers, and so on are of identical quality and presumably if they come out of the same plant, the quality control in manufacturing is the same. So why should the Pro saw be any more durable?"

As a newbie to this site I wish I would have talked to people at this site before I bought my Stihl 025. I wish I would have met people like Troll who is right about the Stihl 025/250 (Troll says a Stihl 250 is made entirely out of recycled Pepsi bottles and that they are only suitable when mounted on the wall with the bar protruding to hold toilet paper.) RIGHT ON - TROLL. This describes the current condition of my saw. Burned up case and bad oil pump. This is a common problem with this model if you talk to chain saw technicans (mechanics) who are not working for a Stihl dealer. The Stihl service manager will tell you BS that you ran the saw with the brake on to cover his ass.
This saw is dead because plastic does not dissipate heat.
On the other hand, magnesium does dissipate heat.
I truly believe that pro saws are designed and tested to more rigorous engineering standards then consumer saws.

I will continue to come to this website and educate myself and learn from the experience and wisdom of it members.
The people who have learned sometimes thru the school of hard knocks, but are willin to help and guide others in TRUTH. Truth and experience you do not always find at a dealer when there is money to be made off the consumer!

My 2 cents!

I read the thread about the guy who cuts a zillion cords of wood with his Stihl 250's. I have newer saws but do like the old 250 and wonder how bad they really are. I know that Troll says a Stihl 250 is made entirely out of recycled Pepsi bottles and that they are only suitable when mounted on the wall with the bar protruding to hold toilet paper. But do the pro models all last longer than the roughly comparable homeowner's saw? I hear that the 390's have had problems but is that the case for all of the homeowner's models? If the durability is greater, why is that the case?

To take as examples, the Stihl 250 and 260. Clearly the Pro saw has more power and a better power/weight ratio, and of course the split magnesium crankcase for ease of repair. But the piston, bar, chain, oiler, recoil starter, fuel tank, hoses, vibration dampers, and so on are of identical quality and presumably if they come out of the same plant, the quality control in manufacturing is the same. So why should the Pro saw be any more durable?"

As a newbie to this site I wish I would have talked to people at this site before I bought my Stihl 025. I wish I would have met people like Troll who is right about the Stihl 025/250 (Troll says a Stihl 250 is made entirely out of recycled Pepsi bottles and that they are only suitable when mounted on the wall with the bar protruding to hold toilet paper.) RIGHT ON - TROLL. This describes the current condition of my saw. Burned up case and bad oil pump. This is a common problem with this model if you talk to chain saw technicans (mechanics) who are not working for a Stihl dealer. The Stihl service manager will tell you BS that you ran the saw with the brake on to cover his ass.
I truly believe that pro saws are designed and tested to more rigorous engineering standards then consumer saws.

I will continue to come to this website and educate myself and learn from the experience and wisdom of it members.
The people who have learned sometimes thru the school of hard knocks, but are willin to help and guide others in TRUTH. Truth and experience you do not always find at a dealer when there is money to be made off the consumer!

My 2 cents!

your 2 cents seem to be worth maybe 1 if your lucky. you seem to know a lot about this place for only 2 post and saws in general. any pics of this burnt up saw? i do tend to agree with you. the better husky consumer saws do not seem to suffer like the stihl you described.

:notrolls2:

My 2 cents!

Interesting post and about 99% pure BS. If you take the bar and chain cover off the 260 and look above the sprocket you will see what, plastic. You will see plastic above and around the sprocket area on ALOT of pro saws, all brands. So your plastic theroy doesn't hold water. You speak of wanting the truth well by Joe you just got it.

If your case is burnt up on the clutch side of your 025 to the point the oil pump wants to fall out the case or is cut up there are only a few things that will cause that and its not because the plastic case doesn't dissipate heat. One factor would indeed running the saw with the break on. Factor two would be dogging the saw in the cut, full throttle with the chain stopped overheating the clutch drum. Running the saw with a broken clutch spring or busted or melted sprocket bearing cage. Those are the factors that will burn up a case or more truth for ya.

Heres one last truth for ya. Sawtroll will dog and has dogged the homeowner Stihl to no end, he's famous for it, LOLOLOL If plastic is the big issue with you just remember what Sawtroll hasn't told you, there is more plastic in the homeowner Huskies than there is in the homeowner Stihls. Tear a few a apart and see for yourself. Just stating more truth or as John Wayne would say, just stating fact pilgrim,LOL

Last edited:
your 2 cents seem to be worth maybe 1 if your lucky. you seem to know a lot about this place for only 2 post and saws in general. any pics of this burnt up saw? i do tend to agree with you. the better husky consumer saws do not seem to suffer like the stihl you described.

:notrolls2:

You asked this guy for pics, where are yours proving the consumer elux saws are any better?

Interesting post and about 99% pure BS. If you take the bar and chain cover off the 260 and look above the sprocket you will see what, plastic. You will see plastic above and around the sprocket area on ALOT of pro saws, all brands. So your plastic theroy doesn't hold water. You speak of wanting the truth well by Joe you just got it.

If your case is burnt up on the clutch side of your 025 to the point the oil pump wants to fall out the case or is cut up there are only a few things that will cause that and its not because the plastic case doesn't dissipate heat. One factor would indeed running the saw with the break on. Factor two would be dogging the saw in the cut, full throttle with the chain stopped overheating the clutch drum. Running the saw with a broken clutch spring or busted or melted sprocket bearing cage. Those are the factors that will burn up a case or more truth for ya.

Heres one last truth for ya. Sawtroll will dog and has dogged the homeowner Stihl to no end, he's famous for it, LOLOLOL If plastic is the big issue with you just remember what Sawtroll hasn't told you, there is more plastic in the homeowner Huskies than there is in the homeowner Stihls. Tear a few a apart and see for yourself. Just stating more truth or as John Wayne would say, just stating fact pilgrim,LOL

:yourock: :yourock: :agree2: :agree2:

What brand of saw do you sell again? :hmm3grin2orange:

What brand of saw do you sell again? :hmm3grin2orange:

I sell the truth baby,LOL Matter of fact I got a 025 case on my back porch Space that probably looks exactly like what the poster is talking about. Let me get a pic for ya and I'll tell ya what happened to it. Hang tight for a minute.

Yeah, my kid brother bought a 250. He loves that little saw. I can't stand the gimmicky starter on it, but other than that it seems all right.

Yeah, my kid brother bought a 250. He loves that little saw. I can't stand the gimmicky starter on it, but other than that it seems all right.

attachment.php

This saw came in a few months back. The guy says can you replace the break handle on it, I broke it off. I said ok. Later I opened the saw up and thats what I found. He couldn't unlock the chain break because he had broken the break handle off. There's the results of trying to make it go with the break stuck on.

attachment.php

This saw came in a few months back. The guy says can you replace the break handle on it, I broke it off. I said ok. Later I opened the saw up and thats what I found. He couldn't unlock the chain break because he had broken the break handle off. There's the results of trying to make it go with the break stuck on.

You got to wonder why the fools don't stop when it starts smoking.

The truth shall set you free...

You got to wonder why the fools don't stop when it starts smoking.

Exactly. He never said a word about the smoke, only that he broke the break handle off. After calling and saying what a new case would cost he left it. I later got a old 023 in with a burnt cylinder but in good shape. I switched motors and got a nice running 023 with 025 motor in it.

attachment.php

Guy started this saw with brake on........Cell phone rang he left saw running on high idle with brake on and wondered why the saw was smoking....The Clutch melted a hole in side cover....

The truth shall set you free...

So true T. Matter of fact I was having lunch today with a old guy that comes in the shop all the time, he's in his 70's, real nice ole guy. He wanted to go to lunch with me today. We headed on down to Wendy's and got a meal. While sitting there eating, cracking jokes and shooting the bull I gave him some truth. I said ya know Dan when I die I wanna be put in a glass casket and have a monument of sort so people could come up and view me. He goes well why would you wanna do that. I said Dan I think its only fair and fitting that even in death people could still come to see me and admire my beauty, Dan about fell off his chair laffing,LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Last edited:
So true T. Matter of fact I was having lunch today with a old guy that comes in the shop all the time, he's in his 70's, real nice ole guy. He wanted to got to lunch with me today. We headed on down to Wendy's and got a meal. While sitting there eating, cracking jokes and shooting the bull I gave him some truth. I said ya know Dan when I die I wanna be put in a glass casket and have a monument of sort so people could come up and view me. He goes well why would you wanna do that. I said Dan I think its only fair and fitting that even in death people could still come to see me and admire my beauty, Dan about fell off his chair laffing,LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Just in time for the Olympics, The Champ is back in peak form...:cheers:

General Comments

We have some Stihl 250's and they hold up for moderate use. They are a whole lot better than the $69 saws sold in some home centers, but they do not stand up to the heavy use or abuse of the 'better' saws.

And when things go bad, or wear out. or break, you have fewer options for keeping them going for long term use. Some parts are not replaceable, and I had an issue with case screws stripping out on an older one (went to a larger diameter screw, but this path only works for so long).

Overall, a good value for someone who uses the saw on an infrequent to moderate level.

However, the comment about 'they all came out of the same factory so they (pistons, internal parts, etc.) must all be the same' is WAY off base.

I have worked in several hot dog factories and can tell you that you WANT to buy the better hot dogs. I have also worked in steel mills and can tell you that there can be worlds of difference between tow 'identical' pieces of metal (same alloy) depending upon how it is tempered, annealed, worked, formed, etc.

Just because a piston (etc.) looks the same, and fits in the same hole, does not mean that is is 'the same' or that it will hold up as long.

JMHO

Philbert

Latest posts

Back