Why do pro saws last longer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting post and about 99% pure BS. If you take the bar and chain cover off the 260 and look above the sprocket you will see what, plastic. You will see plastic above and around the sprocket area on ALOT of pro saws, all brands. So your plastic theroy doesn't hold water. You speak of wanting the truth well by Joe you just got it.

If your case is burnt up on the clutch side of your 025 to the point the oil pump wants to fall out the case or is cut up there are only a few things that will cause that and its not because the plastic case doesn't dissipate heat. One factor would indeed running the saw with the break on. Factor two would be dogging the saw in the cut, full throttle with the chain stopped overheating the clutch drum. Running the saw with a broken clutch spring or busted or melted sprocket bearing cage. Those are the factors that will burn up a case or more truth for ya.

Heres one last truth for ya. Sawtroll will dog and has dogged the homeowner Stihl to no end, he's famous for it, LOLOLOL If plastic is the big issue with you just remember what Sawtroll hasn't told you, there is more plastic in the homeowner Huskies than there is in the homeowner Stihls. Tear a few a apart and see for yourself. Just stating more truth or as John Wayne would say, just stating fact pilgrim,LOL

I also stated and which you neglected to comment on is that "I truly believe that pro saws are designed and tested to more rigorous engineering standards then consumer saws."

Rigorous engineering standards mean in everyday terms:
Longer life of product, saws designed to run with higher loads and temperatures, and individual material components that are designed to function longer and with higher loads.

But let me follow the money trail (to truth), Pilgrim, as
John Wayne would say as you quote him, YOU SELL STIHLS, so it is not in your financial interest to say what you know is the real truth about individual Stihl models. You have a financial bias toward Stihl. I have to take what you say with a grain of salt.

Nothing personal THALL10326, I have nothing against you, so do not take it personally.

To illustrate, my wife wanted to go look at a Ford Focus. A car with know problems. I was against it, but I went with her to the dealer anyway to listen to the Sales Manager tell me that the quality of the vehicle since it was built in the 2000's was fantastic. I researched it on the web and printed out all the customers complaints on the vehicle year after year, same problems and showed my wife.
So I take what salesman have to say with a grain of salt.
Do not get me wrong not all Fords are bad, but each need to be evaluated on a model to model basis!

The same is true with chain saws or any other product for that matter!

Truth!

We have some Stihl 250's and they hold up for moderate use. They are a whole lot better than the $69 saws sold in some home centers, but they do not stand up to the heavy use or abuse of the 'better' saws.

And when things go bad, or wear out. or break, you have fewer options for keeping them going for long term use. Some parts are not replaceable, and I had an issue with case screws stripping out on an older one (went to a larger diameter screw, but this path only works for so long).

Overall, a good value for someone who uses the saw on an infrequent to moderate level.

However, the comment about 'they all came out of the same factory so they (pistons, internal parts, etc.) must all be the same' is WAY off base.

I have worked in several hot dog factories and can tell you that you WANT to buy the better hot dogs. I have also worked in steel mills and can tell you that there can be worlds of difference between tow 'identical' pieces of metal (same alloy) depending upon how it is tempered, annealed, worked, formed, etc.

Just because a piston (etc.) looks the same, and fits in the same hole, does not mean that is is 'the same' or that it will hold up as long.

JMHO

Philbert

AMEN BROTHER,

Just because a piston (etc.) looks the same, and fits in the same hole, does not mean that is is 'the same' or that it will hold up as long.

PREACH IT LOUD AND OFTEN!

And the choir, said AMEN, AMEN!

To illustrate, my wife wanted to go look at a Ford Focus. A car with know problems. I researched it on the web and printed out all the customers complaints on the vehicle year after year, same problems and showed my wife.

you have a lot of talk pilgram' but sooo far, no proof. just what problems do the new focus suffer from?

looks like we wont be seeing this burnt up saw of yours?

:sucks:

Last edited:
I also stated and which you neglected to comment on is that "I truly believe that pro saws are designed and tested to more rigorous engineering standards then consumer saws."

Rigorous engineering standards mean in everyday terms:
Longer life of product, saws designed to run with higher loads and temperatures, and individual material components that are designed to function longer and with higher loads.

But let me follow the money trail (to truth), Pilgrim, as
John Wayne would say as you quote him, YOU SELL STIHLS, so it is not in your financial interest to say what you know is the real truth about individual Stihl models. You have a financial bias toward Stihl. I have to take what you say with a grain of salt.

Nothing personal THALL10326, I have nothing against you, so do not take it personally.

To illustrate, my wife wanted to go look at a Ford Focus. A car with know problems. I was against it, but I went with her to the dealer anyway to listen to the Sales Manager tell me that the quality of the vehicle since it was built in the 2000's was fantastic. I researched it on the web and printed out all the customers complaints on the vehicle year after year, same problems and showed my wife.
So I take what salesman have to say with a grain of salt.
Do not get me wrong not all Fords are bad, but each need to be evaluated on a model to model basis!

The same is true with chain saws or any other product for that matter!

No offence taken at all but you ignored everything I said about plastic around the clutch drums on pro saws and homeowner saws alike. Now I showed you a case off a 025 and had the proof to show exactly what happened to it. Now how about you snapping a pic of your burnt up case and posting it and lets see how the two cases compare. Nothing personal mind ya but I'm curious and want to see that case so I can get some idea of what happened to it. You made the claim the Stihl dealer was just covering his azz so now its time you cover yours, show that case and lets see if it looks like the one I posted. We know exactly what happened to the one I posted, lets have a look at yours.

Last edited:

you have a lot of talk pilgram' but sooo far, no proof. just what problems do the new focus suffer from?

looks like we wont be seeing this burnt up saw of yours?

:sucks:

Regarding Ford Focus: go to www.consumeraffairs.com

type in the search engine on the top right "Ford Focus" without the quotes.
The problems are to numerous to talk about and would be off topic. Check it out I printed out 45-50 pages of complaints.

Ok what gives. I reduced the picture to 640 x 480 standard
size but when uploading it I get the following error.
saw4sp.jpg:
Your file of 329.2 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 300.0 KB for this filetype.

What NON-STANDARD size do you make your pictures, that you upload to this site???? The file is a standard JPG file.

The problems are to numerous to talk about and would be off topic. Check it out I printed out 45-50 pages of complaints.

Ok what gives. I reduced the picture to 640 x 480 standard
size but when uploading it I get the following error.
saw4sp.jpg:
Your file of 329.2 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 300.0 KB for this filetype.

What NON-STANDARD size do you make your pictures, that you upload to this site???? The file is a standard JPG file.

I always use the advance feature and resize my pics to 500 x 300, seems to work good. I use the standard Windows resizer program. Try 500x300 and it should load...

2nd try

I always use the advance feature and resize my pics to 500 x 300, seems to work good. I use the standard Windows resizer program. Try 500x300 and it should load...

Here goes: I got no error message this time. I kept it at 500 x 374 using my cameras software keeping the aspect ratio the same, so everything looks in proportion.

attachment.php

Nasty!

Last edited:
Last time i had the clutch off my 025 it didnt look like that!
Would having a blunt chain and bogging the saw cause the same thing?

Here goes: I got no error message this time. I kept it at 500 x 374 using my cameras software keeping the aspect ratio the same, so everything looks in proportion.

Ok, ya got a nice clear pic there. Resembles my pic almost exact doesn't it?
To be fair though what was going on with that saw when all that damage took place? Did you loan it out and it came by that way, was it smoking while you or someone else was using it, was it making a helluva racket of sort, just trying to get a idea of what took place there..

Last time i had the clutch off my 025 it didnt look like that!
Would having a blunt chain and bogging the saw cause the same thing?

Damage like that usually occurs when the clutch has opened and is turning but the sprocket is not. The fricton or rubbing causes the heat to go sky high. I''ll bet the sprocket of that saw is a pretty midnight blue in color.

Damage like that usually occurs when the clutch has opened and is turning but the sprocket is not. The fricton or rubbing causes the heat to go sky high. I''ll bet the sprocket of that saw is a pretty midnight blue in color.

Yep thats what i thought!
How long would it take to get that hot 10? 20? seconds more?

Yep thats what i thought!
How long would it take to get that hot 10? 20? seconds more?

His looks like it was heating up for quite a spell. I'd say a minute or more on that one based on how much damage there is. The saw I showed the guy was trying over and over to get it go with the brake on. He broke the brake handle off and couldn't un-brake it so he kept trying to make it go. The damage on that saw is less than the posters saw but appears to be the same type of damage by looking at the pics of the two saws.

well lets see, this is the internet where peeps come to biotch so you likely to see many.

all i can find is stuff on 2000-2005 models so i think your about 4 years behind the times mate, last time i checked ford was selling 2008 models, whatever.

i got 9k on mine in about 3 months and zero problems. even holds up to full powershifts. downright amazing how fast it is for a car that gets 35 MPG.

:hmm3grin2orange:

looks like that pic of your saw is showing about how much you know.

:cheers:

Last edited:

Game, Set, Match.........
The King is on his throne and all is right with the world........
NEXT
:popcorn: :popcorn:

Game, Set, Match.........
The King is on his throne and all is right with the world........
NEXT
:popcorn: :popcorn:

LOL, now, now. Take note. I'm not making fun of the poster or his saw at all. I'm just stating by looking at the two pics of two different saws with the same type of damage the cause is most likely the same as well.

Latest posts

Back