Why does my saw pull to the right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the saw is pulling to the right, then the teeth on the left side of the saw are "chasing" the teeth on the right side, which are sharper and thus leading the pack. Therefore, sharpen the teeth on the left side to equal the sharpnesss of the teeth on the right side.

Sounds hard to believe that the chain was new. Possibly, the sharpening angle of the two sides is also not equal. You may want to just replace the chain altogether, but I would try to even up the sharpness first.

Check to see that your rakers are the same, if one side is off & allowing the cutters to take a deeper bite, you'll have this problem.

Check to see that your rakers are the same, if one side is off & allowing the cutters to take a deeper bite, you'll have this problem.

Yep, it is possible to create a problem by filing both sets of rakers from the same side. If you have slop in the chain you get different lengths side to side.

For those of you who helped me, Thanks and I wanted to update for you. I checked my bar this morning....It had major burrs so I tried to file it. When that did not completely help, I took it to the dealer. My bar was in rough shape so I purchased a new one, threw on a new chain. I also cleaned the bar oil tank and refillled it. I turned up the screw that determines how much oil hits the chain. It is finally running the way it should, using about a tank of oil per tank of gas. I set out to work and will try to attach a couple pics. Thanks to everyone!!!
Photo_012308_002.jpg

Photo_012308_001.jpg

sand and level your bar , remove all high edges

make sure each side of bar is equal with each other and level \
usually when a cut pulls to the left or right its because your bar is riding on one side causing the chain not to spin straight but more on a tilt causing the pull

i would put a new chain on also like the others said could be this also

:crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

For those of you who helped me, Thanks and I wanted to update for you. I checked my bar this morning....It had major burrs so I tried to file it. When that did not completely help, I took it to the dealer. My bar was in rough shape so I purchased a new one, threw on a new chain. I also cleaned the bar oil tank and refillled it. I turned up the screw that determines how much oil hits the chain. It is finally running the way it should, using about a tank of oil per tank of gas. I set out to work and will try to attach a couple pics. Thanks to everyone!!!
Photo_012308_002.jpg

Photo_012308_001.jpg
Excellent! Hope ya kept the old bar, ya never know when you need one for a pos job :) (or something to sharpen your chains on) I do love happy endings :D

:cheers: Ta happy & safe cutting All!!

Serge

Last edited:
I did keep the old bar and asked my Stihl dealer if it was worth touching up. He told me he didn't have "the tool" to do it anymore and it wouldn't be cost effective to do....oh well. Like you said, I will just keep it for sharpening chains and such.

Latest posts

Back