Why does my saw pull to the right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin85

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I went out to cut today in the frigid temps on some green tree lengths. After a half hour, my saw was pulling to the right something wicked. I stopped pretty quick. The chain is new and I don't think it hit the ground at all, but even if it did, would that cause the big pull to the right? I also flipped the bar around to see if that helped and it did not. Newbie here, so please take it easy on me if this is an easy answer. I'm cutting with a Stihl MS 310.

1. One side of the chain is duller than the other, touch up chain.
2. The bar may have burrs on one side, flipping it won't always make a difference if the burr is in the same place on the other side, dress bar with flat file. Check that the rails are square too and not spread (groove gap worn etc.).
3. Ya bent something, but then it'd yaw the other way with the bar flipped.

All I can think of, most likely 1&2 :)

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
Serge,

I just notice that the bar is darker(almost looks burned) around where the chain is running. Does this mean anything?

Thanks for the quick answer.

Dull

I went out to cut today in the frigid temps on some green tree lengths. After a half hour, my saw was pulling to the right something wicked. I stopped pretty quick. The chain is new and I don't think it hit the ground at all, but even if it did, would that cause the big pull to the right? I also flipped the bar around to see if that helped and it did not. Newbie here, so please take it easy on me if this is an easy answer. I'm cutting with a Stihl MS 310.

Yep dude, it was about 0 degrees for you yesterday. When it's super cold the wood is frozen and your chains dull in about 1/2 the time as normal... I usually don't file rakers in the winter, seems to keep an edge longer, but doesn't cut quite as fast. Lesser of 2 evils really.

:cheers: eh?

I think, but how can I tell for sure? I usually have to fill half the oil tank for every gas fill up.

I think, but how can I tell for sure? I usually have to fill half the oil tank for every gas fill up.
Hm, should be closer to 1:1-3/4:1. check the bar out carefully, sounds like it got a bit warm, do a good cleaning under the bar where your oiler hole is, clean the groove in the bar and clean your oiler holes in it (a stiff thin piece of wire works well), that said, definately check it for burring on the outside of the rail edge, and if you dress it keep the file flat as possible. It only takes a small burr to mess up your cutting on that side as it is wider than the chain's kerf (cutting width). Hope this helps ya!

Serge

thanks for all these ideas.. I am off to work but will see what I can do to fix this up tonight or tomorrow. Can the oiler be plugged from the inside from saw dust falling in? If so, what is the best way to clean that out?

I did some trimming yesterday then realized, duh, likely summer oil in the saw. HOpe I didn't damge the pump drive. -8F I think. Took them inside to warm and drain.

Did you cut quite a while with cold oil, maybe not getting oil to the bar, and got some hot spots?

thanks for all these ideas.. I am off to work but will see what I can do to fix this up tonight or tomorrow. Can the oiler be plugged from the inside from saw dust falling in? If so, what is the best way to clean that out?

Just rinse out the tank with a bit of mix or diesel, start the saw without the bar and cover on to see if its working (do not rev the snot out of it w/o the bar and chain eh!), should be a pumpin' outta there with a couple of blips (oh no, did I really say blip it? GaH!)

Serge

It was cold out, but in the 20's. My saw is stored in the garage which stays around 50....I am starting to think there wasn't much oil getting to the bar and chain. Must be clogged.

Serge,
I have never done that before and I've had the saw for a couple years...I think a good cleaing is in order...

Serge,
I have never done that before and I've had the saw for a couple years...I think a good cleaing is in order...

Yup...Sprig knows. Saws tend to be maintenance hogs but it'll pay off in the long run. A good cleaning never does any harm and it might let you find minor problems before they develop into big ( and expensive) ones.

Last edited:
"Why does my saw pull to the right?"...........................

.............must be a Neocon saw, jomoco can help ya out. LOL :jester:

Seriously, Sprig hit the high points. Check chain for even cutter wear and bar rails and groove. I personally don't bother with winter grade bar oil, but will store it inside prior use or put it next to the heat duct in truck enroute to cutting site.

Noticed that part about the new chain. Try your old chain is if your saw sthil cuts to the right. You may have the wrong guage chain.

Chain is unevenly sharp, you hit something

You didn't experience the pulling to one side until after an hour becuase you hit something with your chain. You hit a rock,nail, barbed wire, etc and it damaged one side of the cutters more than the other. That caused it cut unevenly and pull to one side. Look closely at the teeth and sharpen back to even out the dings & nicks. Even if the other cutters seem ok, you have to file them to keep them close to the same length on both sides. If you want to be sure your saw is oiling: Aim the bar at a light colored surface about eight inches away. Rev the saw not to about 3/4 throttle for a few seconds and watch for a dark spatter from the oil flinging off the chain. Another way is to rev the saw a few seconds at half throttle. Activate the chain brake and glance down at the chain to see if the drive links are wet with oil. I think that this works better because some chains funnel the oil back and don't fling it off the bar as well.

I say you probably picked up a nail and need to check your air pressure! Or maybe got a brake hanging up. J/K they hit it on the head.

I say you probably picked up a nail and need to check your air pressure! Or maybe got a brake hanging up. J/K they hit it on the head.
4 mo, your avatar is geting me in trouble, da boys want to know what yer sister's phone # is..............gah! (or is dat you?) X2 gah!

:D
(nm, I am confishcating their whiskey, and drinking it myself, I know that should I even look at such a beauty with more than respect, a razor is near by.) :cheers:

:jester:

Latest posts

Back