Why don't any firewood sellers let their wood season??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flip it around.

Why don't people who heat with wood buy far enough in advance to assure it's seasoned? Unless it's your first year you knew a year ago you'd need some.

My guess is you'll find the top two reasons for both groups are the same.

Don't want to tie up the money, don't want to tie up the space.

As for buyers of wood....check the product before it comes off the truck. Educate yourself as to how seasoned wood should look, feel, and sound. If the delivery shows up and it is not what you consider seasoned, tell the guy to take a hike, and call somebody else. I believe the buyer is just as responsible as the seller if it gets cold out and your stove starts hissing at you.

:cheers:
Flip it around.

Why don't people who heat with wood buy far enough in advance to assure it's seasoned? Unless it's your first year you knew a year ago you'd need some.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Flip it around.

Buyers aren't misleading the sellers by paying with Monopoly money though. We call for and pay for a product described as seasoned wood. I guess the term is subjective on what it means to be seasoned.

I had to buy wood last year as I got home from Oklahoma the first week of December. After what was delivered, never again. Two sellers f-ed every other wood seller in my area cause I'll never buy from anyone, ever. I'll pay the electric bill for the heat pump before I pay top dollar prices for wood and get garbage and wood that isn't dry.

Buyers aren't misleading the sellers by paying with Monopoly money though. We call for and pay for a product described as seasoned wood. I guess the term is subjective on what it means to be seasoned.

I had to buy wood last year as I got home from Oklahoma the first week of December. After what was delivered, never again. Two sellers f-ed every other wood seller in my area cause I'll never buy from anyone, ever. I'll pay the electric bill for the heat pump before I pay top dollar prices for wood and get garbage and wood that isn't dry.

why not just checkout the wood before you pay top dollar for something you havnt seen? or check it out before they get it off the truck/trailer and you pay for it? it can be the sellers fault totally, but if you dont look at what you are paying for, some of the blame falls on you as well

Hi all new here and enjoying the topics. I have standing dead beetle kill spruce which if caught in time is premium for firewood and milling. Here it is frequently windy and the trees dry fast. The birch is a little more involved to season. Thus I sell mostly spruce.

Some good points, mostly whines.

This is called "ArboristSite" not "my firewood is wet", so if you're buying all of your firewood here's some suggestions:

1. Firewood producing is some serious tough manual labor no matter how 'automated'. Most WANT to move their product. PLAN ahead and buy firewood green the winter BEFORE you need it. Processors will sell their wood at a large discount green.

2. You heat with wood, get your own. Make it a lifestyle year-round. It's good exercise that you need anyhow. Don't you ? :newbie: Scrounge. Offer your body to help pros such as arborists, clearing contractors/developers, loggers, road crews, highway departments get rid of drops.

3. Ask, beg, talk up the fact that you're looking for firewood. Neighbors may want trees off their place. Find a buddy with a dually and sites to harvest. Better than butt sitting on weekends.

Some firewood facts---those silly moisture meters are a male tit for firewood....useless except for milling. :pumpkin2: The probes go in maybe 1/8 " . Any wood- even well seasoned and gray- will "sizzle" if damp.

So give the firewood sellers (most) a break.

JMNSHO

I have a relationship with my wood guy that say's I'm gonna buy 7 cords every year....
so in turn he cuts and splits my wood and stacks it in a seperate pile a year in advance.
He knows I like dry wood and that is what I get. If I had to go somewhere else my chances would be less that I could find seasoned wood especially for $100 a full cord.

My advice is to buy your wood a year in advance and sit on it so you know it's seasoned. Wood guys typically sell everything they have and yes they could do more wood and have it for longer ,but the real onus is on the buyer not the seller.
I do not know any wood guy that has 50% wet,40% wet,30% wet,20%wet,but I do know that there are buyers that want deals and the deals may be on wood that is wetter than what they really want to burn.
Point...buy your wood in advance then you have full control of moisture content.

I did see that you can cut your own...did we forget to put up what we needed.

Last edited:
Only wood I sell as seasoned

Is split and piled in 1 cord piles for at least 10 months. I take orders from my regular customers and put it up in advance, along with some for speculation, shortages, new customers and the inevitable late winter runouts.

New customers are referrals, advertising is a last resort if I need to move some wood quickly. Reputation is king in the wood business, even for small timers like me.

All that said, I get $200 per cord. This year I've lost several regulars to the cheap guys. I don't fault the sellers, they need cash I'm sure, but you don't get something for nothing. Storing wood for seasoning ties up your money and labor, it takes time, space, and several extra handling operations as opposed to throwing it in the truck as it comes off the splitter. I expect to be paid for this, A quality product does not just happen.

All right enough of what everybody already knows. To the OP and everyone else that wants to know how to avoid getting the short end, it's very simple. Before you order ask for and check on the seller's references period. While not an iron clad guarantee, if he cannot or will not provide the names of a few regular customers for you contact then stay away or be on your guard when he delivers. It's that simple. By asking for references you can probably eliminate 1/2 the sellers in your area.

One last thought and then I'm done, if you find someone that does put up wood in advance and treats you right, don't whine about the price. He can sell the wood somewhere else. Also if you want him to put up wood for you for next year, tell him on delivery or shortly after. If you want your wood split and seasoned for a year, he's not going to be able to do so 3 weeks before you want delivery.

I'm seriously considering asking for deposits for next year from all but my best repeat customers.

Whine over

Take Care

:agree2: exactly!!!!!!!!!!

That is the only way to go. I now always stay at least one year ahead, for my own personal use.
And yes I agree with the above poster. Right now a person should be starting to work on there wood for winter 2012.

Last edited:
That's all fine and well if you have enough room for that. I personally do not have that much room. I like to get 'seasoned' wood in the spring, so either way by winter it's good to go.

im surprised how many people on here, who obviously own chainsaws.. are buying firewood every year it seems:dizzy:

if you arnt doing tree work, and you arnt cutting any firewood, what are you guys doing with them, other than shining them up and taking pictures of em? :greenchainsaw:

im surprised how many people on here, who obviously own chainsaws.. are buying firewood every year it seems:dizzy:

if you arnt doing tree work, and you arnt cutting any firewood, what are you guys doing with them, other than shining them up and taking pictures of em? :greenchainsaw:

I thought a chainsaw was almost a requirement for home-ownership? I have a jig that I'll cut down larger wood for my stove, or if stuff falls on our property, etc. Does a man really NEED to have a reason to own a chainsaw?:chainsaw:

I have a relationship with my wood guy that say's I'm gonna buy 7 cords every year....so in turn he cuts and splits my wood and stacks it in a seperate pile a year in advance.He knows I like dry wood and that is what I get. If I had to go somewhere else my chances would be less that I could find seasoned wood especially for $100 a full cord.

My advice is to buy your wood a year in advance and sit on it so you know it's seasoned. Wood guys typically sell everything they have and yes they could do more wood and have it for longer ,but the real onus is on the buyer not the seller.
I do not know any wood guy that has 50% wet,40% wet,30% wet,20%wet,but I do know that there are buyers that want deals and the deals may be on wood that is wetter than what they really want to burn.
Point...buy your wood in advance then you have full control of moisture content.I did see that you can cut your own...did we forget to put up what we needed.

Good advice CrappieK. :cheers: It's what we used to do when in the RealWorld for a good 1/2 of the firewood/year.

Butt: what's an "ONUS" ?:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
I thought the Moderators didn't allow those in here.

Ok, I'm not a firewood processor. I've just been calling around to see who has seasoned firewood. I've been asking, "how long ago was your firewood split?". The answer I usually get is, "...it's seasoned."

Now, this is getting frustrating because everybody who says their wood is seasoned has only split anywhere from spring to now. When I tell them I'm looking for wood that was split at least a year ago, then they usually will tell me how "good" their wood burns. According to what I've learned on this great site and others, it takes over 12 months to profess that oak is seasoned.

Why don't sellers of firewood understand firewood? Or am I being an anal, type Z+ customer? Or does wood season faster in South Carolina where our winter isn't frozen? I can find my own green wood to split for next year, I need dry wood for this year!

...I'm just sayin'

Well, you got lots of good answers as to why.

The root of the problem is not the firewood seller here however, it is the buyer or in other words YOU. :)

You need to be buying a year in advance, then seasoning your wood as opposed to expecting that from a wood dealer. It could happen that you get dry wood but it's more unlikely than not and you need to deal with that reality and plan ahead.

...I'm just sayin'

because they are theives.....

And there are enough cheap idiots who never learn to keep them in business.

My wood was split last year and all I ever hear is why is your wood more than most of the other guys? Will you match their price?

Are you kidding me?

I'm not selling firewood in CT anymore.

Have a sizzling winter you cheap bastards!

And there are enough cheap idiots who never learn to keep them in business.

My wood was split last year and all I ever hear is why is your wood more than most of the other guys? Will you match their price?

Are you kidding me?

I'm not selling firewood in CT anymore.

Have a sizzling winter you cheap bastards!

:ices_rofl::clap::clap::clap:

Latest posts

Back