Why I will never buy Stihl again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it because you can make fun of every saw brand except for stihl boo hoo

Kinda like the new pres. don't make fun of him because now some ones feels got hurt. It's all fun to get the stihl saw snobs up in arms.:)

I would say more so...at least the mule expresses his worthlessness in varied and sometimes even entertaining ways.

exactly what I mean about snobs and such ya see why it is so much fun? This saw stuff isn't rocket science. I've seen some of the "stihl techs" before, basically trained chimps.

Ya know Fred... gettin' a rep as a sh1t stirrer is really a stoopid thing to do. There will come a time when you want to make a valid point... and no one will give a rip... :rolleyes:

Gary

exactly what I mean about snobs and such ya see why it is so much fun? This saw stuff isn't rocket science. I've seen some of the "stihl techs" before, basically trained chimps.

So...a lack of appreciation for the infantile is snobbery?

Allow me to make amends: fred sux.

Brand new saw? Sounds like a great company to me...

I would agree with that and they replaced the saw so they live on in service. I will add, there are other saw manufacturers that stand behind there products too. It is my hope that quality never fades in the pro line-up of all saw makers and if it does all of us on AS will hold their feets to the fire until change is surrendered." good day "

So...a lack of appreciation for the infantile is snobbery?

Allow me to make amends: fred sux.

Thats more like it!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

You guys are right. I can admit when I'm wrong.

It's hot and humid here and it's Friday!!

Stihl rules and Husky kicks!....

have a good weekend all:)

Last edited:
That's terrific!!

GOOD FOR YOU !!!!
Real glad for you FPC;
If you're in the mood you might trot the documentation and the saw
over to the dealer who didn't do right by you.

Tell him you've come on an errand of goodwill.

Considering they made such a bad diagnosis and
essentially kicked you to the curb as a customer;
Tell him you're concerned for his business and you want to help.

Ask to speak to the service tech and discuss it...
Speak to the owner and make him aware that he lost the sale and service
of your new 361 because of their lack of initiative.

You went to them in good faith as a dealer.
They did not step up; and that is a shame.

Thrilled for you....really.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
-br

Finally I have a resolution to report. I was told by Stihl that the likely cause of the failure was due to a higher than normal ethanol content causing the saw to over rev. They didn't see any signs of misuse or neglect.

This was diagnosed by a Stihl engineer and not the dealer. I never saw the damage personally, but they reported it to be exhaust side scoring only. they claimed that it has been an problem before since ethanol content in fuel is at LEAST 10%, but could be more at times.

It took several months, but they gladly replaced the 290 with a new one since it was still under warranty.

Glad you were taken care of. Now go find a new Dealers. Atleast two different dealers (if not more) in this thread have stated we can get situations like this handled via phone in under 10 minutes. Not days, weeks, months...

I'd be interested in reading their "Engineers" report or atleast the letter sent. I'm aware of issues that have to do with emissions (It's the reason almost every 660 that comes down the line right now is showing up at dealerships running 15K plus).

The US needs to get rid of the averaging allowance for emissions and require each product to stand on it's own. These issues would self correct quickly.

I would agree with that and they replaced the saw so they live on in service. I will add, there are other saw manufacturers that stand behind there products too. It is my hope that quality never fades in the pro line-up of all saw makers and if it does all of us on AS will hold their feets to the fire until change is surrendered." good day "

Very well said Rope!! I do hope "Servicing Dealers" stay that way...

Congratulations fpc !:clap: !!!!!

I was on your side all along.

But we must admit..... This has been a very amusing Thread !

To all the dealers, techs, saw-heads and everyone who tried to help........

I commend you ! If I could rep you all 100 X ... I would.

I certainly learned alot in this thread.:) Thanks.

How many times do I need to tell you Fred, THIS IS NOT THE WAY to make new friends......:dizzy:

It's good to see that they came through for you and took care of the saw!!! Yea Stihl!!!

While I agree with what you say, they didn't seem to provide too much info...
Finally I have a resolution to report. I was told by Stihl that the likely cause of the failure was due to a higher than normal ethanol content causing the saw to over rev. They didn't see any signs of misuse or neglect.
Not for nothing, but before we start jumping around high 5ing each other and start a group hug, this is a pretty lame statement for a Stihl engineer. I mean, for as many saws as they sell, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even look at it and just sent a new saw with this lame excuse/reason.

I'm not trying to dis Stihl here, but come on guys, it was April 20th this started...that is more than 2 months! To be given a new saw is good, but the reason is lame, IMO.

Regards,
TT

To be brutally honest, the failure was likely due to bad/old gas,
just like in one of my earlier threads:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=56525

It took a few months for the guys at Bryan to cave in and put this turd
in the septic tank and go on.

Since we have absolutely no info/pics, there is not really any reason to
make any conclusions.

The original poster could have dropped his saw from a sequoia, ran cheapo
Tequila through the fuel system, left the saw in the duck pond for a month.

And no one here would know any better. I am tempted to call my friends at Bryan, but they will have no clue to this thing, as it all happened at the
Stihl rep level, and he finally decided to write it off as a "good will" warranty,
and let it fade away.
It is kind of scary that you guys would take a side/stance without any
credible info at all, and we still have damn little.

But that doesn't matter, now does it?

But that doesn't matter, now does it?
No, but if we rated Stihl on the time for resolution, I think you would agree that being without a saw that was on warranty, is pretty sad. Just sayin'...

I probably shouldn't be voicing my opinion, I own two saws, and even though I bought one new, I think my warranty is void with the dealers in California...:mad: The other was bought used with no warranty...

What this thread tells me is that if I'm willing to pay a premium to buy new product from the Stihl dealer near me, it acts as insurance against a problem like bad fuel. However, I will need to wait for 2 months for it to be resolved Because Stihl is too busy to take care of it.

If I buy new product from a dealer, they should have pursued this with Stihl and gotten me a faster resolution. In some ways the OP deserves a new saw for the amount of time he had waited, not to mention he bought another Stihl saw during the same period. Certainly shows loyalty, so in a way that person does deserve the new saw. Just sayin'...

As a dealer, are you proud of the way Stihl handled this situation?

Regards,
TT

Latest posts

Back