Why I will never buy Stihl again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuel lines, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, we suppose to keep that under lid,LOL
I stock and sell the hell out of those,hahaha

Is STIHL upgrading the lines anytime soon (to handle our latest & greatest refined gas type), or do we all need to look forward to replacing the fuel lines so much more often?

Is STIHL upgrading the lines anytime soon (to handle our latest & greatest refined gas type), or do we all need to look forward to replacing the fuel lines so much more often?

The 290 series are on they're way out. They have had a long run, sold like crazy over the years and regardless of deals like this thread they are pretty good saws.

I sit here and think this. Had a guy like Lakeside got his hands on that saw he would have checked it out in 10 minutes and knew exactly what caused it to fail. In 5 more minutes the customer would know exactly what went wrong and what was gonna be what and this thread wouldn't be here at all...

all it would prove is the current fuel that's in the tank is good or bad. it would prove nada.... nothing about ALL the fuel that's been ran through the saw.

thall and others have already pointed out if both intake and exhaust side are scorched. then that's proof positive saw was ran too lean.

now take this information and check out actual damage on your saw.
ask the shop that did tear down the same question. "was both intake and exhaust sides scorched?"

You are right about the fuel mixture. It is more that I am being called a complete liar that is getting me at this point. Any of you would feel pretty mad if someone suggested you used bad fuel or no oil. You would be especially mad if they jumped to conclusions without showing any signs related to improper fuel mixture.

As for lean or rich mixture.... I don't know enough about the carbs on these things, so I would rather the shop make those adjustments. I had planned on having it tuned up at 1 year. So much for that. If it was running lean, it showed no signs of overheating.

I remember a recent post by Blsnelling about using last falls mix in a STIHL blower or trimmer, I forget which one exactly, but the point being is his stuff ran fine, no problems, and come to find out a whole bunch of guys do the same thing, use older mix with no problems. I believe this guys mix was fresh, but even if it wasn't yesterdays batch, what the heck, look elsewhere. REJ2.

You are right about the fuel mixture. It is more that I am being called a complete liar that is getting me at this point. Any of you would feel pretty mad if someone suggested you used bad fuel or no oil. You would be especially mad if they jumped to conclusions without showing any signs related to improper fuel mixture.

As for lean or rich mixture.... I don't know enough about the carbs on these things, so I would rather the shop make those adjustments. I had planned on having it tuned up at 1 year. So much for that. If it was running lean, it showed no signs of overheating.

TUNED UP AT 1 YEAR??????????? That says it all.

Not your job to set the carb, its the dealer. They will look to see if you removed the caps, the caps will show signs, sounds like you don't know what a carb limit cap is so relax. I'm taking your word the fuel mix was fresh.
Gotta ask you though, how was she cutting, good, fairly good or 10 mninutes to get through a block of wood, say it was cutting good when she quit...

I know of another 290 that has been fried. Don't tell me that Stihl is having the same problems as other saw brands. What is the world coming too!:jawdrop::cry:

One time my wife took my gas can, (a non-mix can fortunately) and filled her mower. Out of the goodness of her heart, she refilled the can from our bulk diesel tank and never told me. It got my splitter smoking real bad, I kind of panicked until we figured out what happened, I alway smell and look at the fuel now before assuming its mix or whatever it's supposed to be. Mistakes do happen. Not accusing, just a story related to fuel problems.

Not your job to set the carb, its the dealer. They will look to see if you removed the caps, the caps will show signs, sounds like you don't know what a carb limit cap is so relax. I'm taking your word the fuel mix was fresh.
Gotta ask you though, how was she cutting, good, fairly good or 10 mninutes to get through a block of wood, say it was cutting good when she quit...

It was cutting great. The chain was freshly sharpened. I switched it out for a brand new one after the first day of cutting.

One time my wife took my gas can, (a non-mix can fortunately) and filled her mower. Out of the goodness of her heart, she refilled the can from our bulk diesel tank and never told me. It got my splitter smoking real bad, I kind of panicked until we figured out what happened, I alway smell and look at the fuel now before assuming its mix or whatever it's supposed to be. Mistakes do happen. Not accusing, just a story related to fuel problems.

LOL. Good story, but I my wife would've put the gas into her car and left it empty. Rules that one out.

Have a little faith, the truth will come out. I got a 346 xp in "the shop" right now. I feel it was no fault of mine so I'll wait for the answer. I call once a week to see what the story is and wait. Stihl and Husky and echo and .... dont build junk or they would be out of business. just remember bad dealers are salesmen, and salesmen are people that cant find a real job. good dealers go the extra mile for their costumers but they will say when your at fault and take the time to explain why. keep your head up and dont go back to that dealer. keep looking till you find one that will say it how it is and explain why it is that way.(therefor not a salesmen but a teacher)

I was concerned as they were always straight forward. Who/where did you take it to? I may have missed the info.

I didn't want to post their name specifically since they are not here to defend themselves. I'll send you a PM on that one.

Its time for RED to post and tel us how bad his "refurbished 026" is, and how good his echo gookanese saws are.

I bought a MS260 and it seized. The dealer replaced the saw and told me later that a screw had lodged on top of the piston of the seized saw. He disassembled the unit himself and can't explain where the screw came from.
A freak thing, but my dealer didn't hesitate to replace the saw.

Back