Why it's good to answer newb questions here!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by some genius on a tractor site

"if the chainsaw runs when needed its a good one . If its a race the stihl will win . Removing the drag or filing them down to low really doesn't hurt in any way except it raises the chance for kickback . If i was racing the drags would be removed and every other link wouldn't have a chisel this is called a skip chain in the south. chain like that is not for the faint of heart . I am the guy that ask the tree removal companies if they need to borrow a subdivision persons saw to get the job done . I listen to them cut 12 hours a day for three days with a poulan and a pioneer . I got tired of them keeping me awake so after asking if they needed a saw and getting told they had plenty of saw . i carried my 064 with h@l big bore kit and 36 inch bar fell the tree off the stump for them. When you aggitate like i do you got to be able to back it up. never knew i would need two big saws until the hurricanes came and i took off to help with the baptist mens association."

Is he on Meth, or is he just plain stupid? :msp_confused:

Whatever he's on at least he's not on here. Count your blessings.

I got a PM from fellow member Butch(OH) asking if I'd seen this post on another site. It's a tractor forum that shall remain nameless to protect most of the innocent people there. Butch was nice enough to invite the offending poster here for the purpose of furthering his "education", but he hasn't taken Butch up on it.

At any rate, if we chase off the newbs with a gruff "do a search, it's been done 1,092 times", there's a chance of em running off to another site, and being educated by "experts" like this guy:

this sure sounds like a guy that used to have a tree service on this site

"if the chainsaw runs when needed its a good one . If its a race the stihl will win . Removing the drag or filing them down to low really doesn't hurt in any way except it raises the chance for kickback . If i was racing the drags would be removed and every other link wouldn't have a chisel this is called a skip chain in the south. chain like that is not for the faint of heart . I am the guy that ask the tree removal companies if they need to borrow a subdivision persons saw to get the job done . I listen to them cut 12 hours a day for three days with a poulan and a pioneer . I got tired of them keeping me awake so after asking if they needed a saw and getting told they had plenty of saw . i carried my 064 with h@l big bore kit and 36 inch bar fell the tree off the stump for them. When you aggitate like i do you got to be able to back it up. never knew i would need two big saws until the hurricanes came and i took off to help with the baptist mens association."

Last edited:
Wow! I hope that isn't a post from the orangetractortalks.com forum, good folks over there, hope this guy isn't ruining it for them. I am the first to admit that I don't know much about this subject, but this guy made me feel sorta smart.

There are some good folks over there, but there are really only a select few that can answer a difficult technical question. Not like here, where there are a lot of guys who have fixed just about any problem, on any saw, and are willing to share their knowledge.

It has been conclusively proven that the subset of people on Meth and the subset of people who are just plain stupid contains a lot of overlap.

"Some Genius on a tractor site"

What's the need to drag me into this Steve

Pay attention, dangit. Little g, no .

Just real curious....

Pretty much. I just wanted to point out that if someone is here for saw advice, its better that they get it here than some site about whatever that they are a member of already.

If he was on meth then at least he would have an excuse.

I got a PM from fellow member Butch(OH) asking if I'd seen this post on another site. It's a tractor forum that shall remain nameless to protect most of the innocent people there. Butch was nice enough to invite the offending poster here for the purpose of furthering his "education", but he hasn't taken Butch up on it.

At any rate, if we chase off the newbs with a gruff "do a search, it's been done 1,092 times", there's a chance of em running off to another site, and being educated by "experts" like this guy:

So, you're claiming that's different than the posters here? :popcorn:

No, actually it is about posting smileys. I cant help that things get drug OT here.

Stand down, Jake from State Farm. It's about a genius on a tractor site.:msp_tongue:

FWIW, Fish was one of the guys who sorta came to my rescue when I was getting banged around pretty good in one of my early threads here. Coming from a highly technical background and being a detail kinda guy, plus doing this chat stuff since the screen was black and the cursor was green (like playing pong on a 14.4 dialup modem back in the usenet days when a moderator was little more than a deli tray for digestion by the masses), reminds me of how far this medium has evolved over the years.

But newb's need to learn the territory and pecking order today same as the old days....or they'll never learn squat 'cept thinkin' they already know everything already when comin' in with an attitude..., or just bein' plain stupid. Can't fix that.

Can't put a stake in the ground with no ground or boundaries, either. Sometimes ya gotta establish it yourself in unfamiliar territory, but it always helps to have a sense of acceptance in new surroundings. I always try to help a new member if I'm knowledgeable enough on the subject to do so. Saves the guy(s) who helped me (and many others) on the same subject the trouble and sorta passes the whole process forward as it should. If I'm not quite spot on with my advice (or way off base), there's usually a mentor watching who sets it straight or provides appropriate guidance otherwise. To me, that's how the dynamic should (and seemingly does) work.

But being a forum member doesn't mean one needs to be a forum participant.

In retrospect, I shoulda bailed outta this thread much earlier than I did..., but held my own nonetheless. And I did ultimately get the answers I was initially seeking. Just took a while for it all to sink in. Was I an a-hole newb? Yep. Still here, tho...with a stake in the ground and a better sense of the community these days...., and because I truly understand and appreciate the value of the experience

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/127810.htm

And next to Guido? Fish is my main mang.:heart:

But I digress...

:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back