Why it's good to answer newb questions here!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
I got a PM from fellow member Butch(OH) asking if I'd seen this post on another site. It's a tractor forum that shall remain nameless to protect most of the innocent people there. Butch was nice enough to invite the offending poster here for the purpose of furthering his "education", but he hasn't taken Butch up on it.

At any rate, if we chase off the newbs with a gruff "do a search, it's been done 1,092 times", there's a chance of em running off to another site, and being educated by "experts" like this guy:

some genius on a tractor site said:
if the chainsaw runs when needed its a good one . If its a race the stihl will win . Removing the drag or filing them down to low really doesn't hurt in any way except it raises the chance for kickback . If i was racing the drags would be removed and every other link wouldn't have a chisel this is called a skip chain in the south. chain like that is not for the faint of heart . I am the guy that ask the tree removal companies if they need to borrow a subdivision persons saw to get the job done . I listen to them cut 12 hours a day for three days with a poulan and a pioneer . I got tired of them keeping me awake so after asking if they needed a saw and getting told they had plenty of saw . i carried my 064 with h@l big bore kit and 36 inch bar fell the tree off the stump for them. When you aggitate like i do you got to be able to back it up. never knew i would need two big saws until the hurricanes came and i took off to help with the baptist mens association.

LMAO..Yeh didn't ya know if you file every other tooth chisel and every third tooth semi chisel you'll have a triple skip ? I got one on my Wild Thing..I only use it when I'm racing or when i'm cutting after dark :hmm3grin2orange:

Wow! I hope that isn't a post from the orangetractortalks.com forum, good folks over there, hope this guy isn't ruining it for them. I am the first to admit that I don't know much about this subject, but this guy made me feel sorta smart.

You don't grind your drag teeth (rakers) off too?:msp_confused: I don't but I guess that shows what kind of expert I am:yoyo:

All joking aside I agree we scare folks off. But if there was a way we could do a pre post filter to maybe help them ask the right questions. Some of these newbs have back stories that require waders and a shovel to dig through the bs. If you could drop the story lines off and line out a good set of questions then I believe less of this would happen.

Maybe start a small question/diagnosis set up like you do polls. Ask if it's a performance enhancing question or performance inhibiting question. Parts or dealer questions or assembly problems.

If the lady in the car next to you asked for directions, you'd prolly just help. Should be the same here. Or at least a polite referral to a different area of the site. Most noobs eventually develop calluses, we shouldn't want their first experience here to result in a blister. I've been here a little while, and all the reps I've received all basically say "you're really brave to admit u'r that ####ing stupid!". I have no idea what they mean, but it's always nice to get rep

You don't grind your drag teeth (rakers) off too?:msp_confused: I don't but I guess that shows what kind of expert I am:yoyo:

All joking aside I agree we scare folks off. But if there was a way we could do a pre post filter to maybe help them ask the right questions. Some of these newbs have back stories that require waders and a shovel to dig through the bs. If you could drop the story lines off and line out a good set of questions then I believe less of this would happen.

Maybe start a small question/diagnosis set up like you do polls. Ask if it's a performance enhancing question or performance inhibiting question. Parts or dealer questions or assembly problems.

Naaa, What we have works, it is kinda of sort of Natural Selection. Someone asks a stupid question and we pile on. If he keeps coming back for abuse with stupid questions He is tough enough to stay here. We have created a strain of stupid, but tough saw people........:msp_unsure:

Naaa, What we have works, it is kinda of sort of Natural Selection. Someone asks a stupid question and we pile on. If he keeps coming back for abuse with stupid questions He is tough enough to stay here. We have created a strain of stupid, but tough saw people........:msp_unsure:

There aren't any stupid questions. There are however stupid responses to the answers to the original question. :)

When somebody asks one of the oft repeated standard questions, and you guys all know what I'm talking about, we're duty bound to answer. Somebody answered our questions. It's only fair for us to carry that on. It's also part of what makes AS as good a place as it is. Communication, assistance, advice...it's all here for the asking and the taking.

But...when you take the time to answer another of the Standard Questions with a good and honest answer and the person who asked the question proceeds to argue with your answer I do believe that a little bit of righteous indignation is fine. Just keep it civil.

I survived alright. Mind you weldingweb makes this place seem like a fairytail...

I got a PM from fellow member Butch(OH) asking if I'd seen this post on another site. It's a tractor forum that shall remain nameless to protect most of the innocent people there. Butch was nice enough to invite the offending poster here for the purpose of furthering his "education", but he hasn't taken Butch up on it.

At any rate, if we chase off the newbs with a gruff "do a search, it's been done 1,092 times", there's a chance of em running off to another site, and being educated by "experts" like this guy:

I've learned a lot about saws on AS and at GTGs thanks to the guys who know way more about saws than I ever will, and I've learned a lot about tractors on some of the tractor site, but I never learned nothin' useful about saws on a tractor site.

On the tractor site Im on, they thought my 034 was some super saw? I guess because it had a 20 inch bar?

There aren't any stupid questions. There are however stupid responses to the answers to the original question. :)

When somebody asks one of the oft repeated standard questions, and you guys all know what I'm talking about, we're duty bound to answer. Somebody answered our questions. It's only fair for us to carry that on. It's also part of what makes AS as good a place as it is. Communication, assistance, advice...it's all here for the asking and the taking.

But...when you take the time to answer another of the Standard Questions with a good and honest answer and the person who asked the question proceeds to argue with your answer I do believe that a little bit of righteous indignation is fine. Just keep it civil.

working in the school system and having been in the service I can tell you without a doubt, THERE ARE STUPID QUESTIONS.

I agree with the rest of your post, but that one portion is just like giving everyone a trophy, it ain't right.

Shea

I had a bad leaner so I notched it, plunge cut it and then stood back and let my son shoot it with his .22 till it fell, is this a good method or do I need a skip tooth chain? Maybe a bigger caliber? I only this guy lives near me.

working in the school system and having been in the service I can tell you without a doubt, THERE ARE STUPID QUESTIONS.

I agree with the rest of your post, but that one portion is just like giving everyone a trophy, it ain't right.

Shea

:msp_biggrin: Hey, I was trying to be nice. But really, when you think about it, is a "dumb" question, asked in all honesty really dumb? Sure, if the person asking took a second or two to think before they asked they might figure it out and not ask at all. But how often does that happen? So...even a dumb question isn't really dumb. It's just kind of, I don't know, ill timed maybe? Poorly thought out ?

All I know for sure about questions is that somebody is going to answer them. I'd sure rather see the questions asked on AS get answered than see them ignored or belittled. Some guys don't know enough to even know how to ask the right question. Grit your teeth, wade through the dumb stuff, and hope they learn. Most do.

Last edited:
"common knowledge"???

There is no such thing unless you share a little bit with others.

In my field, Electrical Construction, its the details that can make or break you.

Break - looks like a bratwurst left on the grill for 2-weeks from head to toe.

I'm sure that similar can be said about saw use and safety.

Cold steel and raw horsepower have ZERO regard for flesh and bone.

No such thing as a stupid question.
If they are smart enough to stop and ask instead of full speed ahead, I'd say they deserve an intelligent answer.

I had a bad leaner so I notched it, plunge cut it and then stood back and let my son shoot it with his .22 till it fell, is this a good method or do I need a skip tooth chain? Maybe a bigger caliber? I only this guy lives near me.

NO! Next time use a 30-06. Or maybe just throw rocks at it. :laugh:

:msp_biggrin: ....................Sure, if the person asking took a second or two to think before they asked they might figure it out and not ask at all. But how often does that happen?.

This is my problem. I always tell my son to THINK before doing or asking anything. He more often than not can answer his own question. I do agree if people come here asking for an answer that they need/want then hopefully they get it in a way that is helpful. I personally won't answer a specific question if I have no knowledge of that issue. Too many people simply offer their OPINION as fact, not doing that would help here and alot of places.

Shea

PS-I will say this, too many people have gotten soft in this society of 'you deserve it no matter what' and expect someone else to do it all for them.

:. Grit your teeth, wade through the dumb stuff, and hope they learn. Most do.

Hey look at me, if I can learn anybody can......I am the acorn that becomes the mighty oak.....:msp_rolleyes:

My "best" learning experiences here are when I ignore the wise and try my own way.......and then learn that's why they told me not to do that:msp_tongue: At least I know I don't know enough to argue. When Randy, Terry, Murph, Mark etc...offer something up, it usually pays to listen. Thomas on the other hand.....:dunno:

Latest posts

Back