Why RM2 On MS361 ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezulsmoke

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am wondering why they would put this on at the dealer on a pro saw ?? My dumba** ordered two of the chains made up where I bought the saw and I am suppose to pick them up today, I am sure they will be the same thing. At 25 bucks a pop for stihl, I am wondering how good the chain is from baileys ?? I can get one there for roughly half what a stihl chain runs. What would be a good buy from baileys for something with a round chisel on it ??

Thanks

Don't accept RM2 chain, RSC3 (which is much better) should be standard in the US by now - here it is RSC.

Demand RS or RSC, and don't budge.....

...well one RM/RMC for dirty wood is nice to have, but not RM2...:angry2: :angry2:
I have learned that from da Troll....

Last edited:
That RM2 looks like it would suck. My 290 came with better chain on it than that. RM2 would be okay if it didn't have those triple hump tie straps on it. I will not be picking those chains up, I will have to call and tell them to change the order on my chains.

Yes... it is round ground. RM2 is still being shipped to some dealers - they don't have a choice what the saw ships to them with. Your dealer should just swap it out - he won't care. It does work well in dirty wood, and millions of feet of it are in use today (we still sell it). If you are an experienced user, get the RMC, or RM.

deezulsmoke said:
Can you sharpen RSC3 with a regular round file ??
Yes, that chain is more or less a copy of the Oregon 70-series LP, and a round file will do the trick.

Just beware that it is best to use a 13/64" file the first times you file Stihl 3/8" chains, not 7/32" as on Oregon.

How'd you get the keyboard back?:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm pretty sure the 13/64 is more important when the cutter is worn down - it's to stop cutting into the tie straps when down to the last part of the cutter.

deezulsmoke said:
I am wondering why they would put this on at the dealer on a pro saw ?? My dumba** ordered two of the chains made up where I bought the saw and I am suppose to pick them up today, I am sure they will be the same thing. At 25 bucks a pop for stihl, I am wondering how good the chain is from baileys ?? I can get one there for roughly half what a stihl chain runs. What would be a good buy from baileys for something with a round chisel on it ??

Thanks

They won't likely make up the RM2, they'll have pallets of it and can give those to someone who probably shouldn't be buying or running a saw anyway.

Don't dare leave there w/ RM2!!

If you're buying LOTS of chain or ordering other stuff from someone online then you might want to try other chain as well, but the Stihl chain is tops and for a loop here and there another $10 a loop isn't such a big deal. Split shipping on only a few chains by mail and the difference gets pretty small.

If you're like me you mindlessly blow that little extra a Stihl chain costs to numerous uses regularly... like every time I go in the farm supply or hardware store or to a gun show or to get hunting gear...or if the kids are with me in seemingly ANY store...

Chaser

Lakeside53 said:
How'd you get the keyboard back?:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm pretty sure the 13/64 is more important when the cutter is worn down - it's to stop cutting into the tie straps when down to the last part of the cutter.
I would say; for the first couple of filings and when the cutter is worn down - but that's just me (and some others).......:D

Btw, I also use the 13/64" for the last filings (about one third) on the Oregon 70 series....

My 361 came with RSC on it, though I have no problem with RM2. I like the RSC a lot but it dulls EASY. The RM2 lasts a lot better in dirt/sand, and it doesn't cut bad at all in my opinion. In fact, for my application, I think my average RM2 loop, on average, is sharper than my average RSC loop at any given time!

Canyon Angler said:
My 361 came with RSC on it, though I have no problem with RM2. I like the RSC a lot but it dulls EASY. The RM2 lasts a lot better in dirt/sand, and it doesn't cut bad at all in my opinion. In fact, for my application, I think my average RM2 loop, on average, is sharper than my average RSC loop at any given time!

Ordinary RM/RMC will keep its edge just as well as RM2 in dirty wood, and they will cut better......:blob2: :blob2:

SawTroll said:
Ordinary RM/RMC will keep its edge just as well as RM2 in dirty wood, and they will cut better......:blob2: :blob2:

Most dealer don't even know it's available!

The PMC and PMC3 is now shipping...

Lakeside53 said:
Most dealer don't even know it's available!

The PMC and PMC3 is now shipping...
That will probably be an improvement over PM and particularly the PM1, but why don't the dealers have a clue:cry: - they usually do over here, but then we don't have the crap chain that they (who really) want to sell in the US.....:clap:

Here it is simply RM, RMC, RSK, RS, RSC, PM, PMX and PMN. PMC will surely come in eventuelly, and RM, RS and PM will disappear.

Last edited:
it is simple

saw manufactures do not want there butts sued so they put chains that cut ok but not like pro non safety chain:blob2: :blob2: :chainsaw: :blob5: :blob5:
if you buy a new saw go buy a non safety chain and nock the riders a few thous, if still want to run ?????able stihl chain learn too file the riders a few thousand:blob2: safety chain sucks it is only sold to clueless idiots:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Baileys

deezulsmoke said:

Thanks

I've got lots of buddys that buy from Baileys and have excellent luck. Always said they are great to deal with. I buy from them sometimes and have great luck with the chains I get, although I'm not too familiar with the differences. I like the oregon chains, they always do well for me. I use these for mine. Links below. They are RC60 and RC68. I do file my rakers a bit on the chain though...

Husky
http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/745?product_sku=WPL%2018%2030RC68

Stihl
http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/1173?product_sku=WPL%2016%2030RC60

Hope this helps dude...

From what I understand, ANSI says that saws under 3.8 cubes must be sold with 2 kickback reducing features, Stihl saws in that range are sold with a chain brake and low kick chain. Saws over 3.8 only need to have 1 safety feature, a chain brake. All of the saws we sell 3.8 & over have yellow strap chains, smaller saws (including the 361) wear green chain. We'll sell ya all the yellow chain you want but we can't put it on for you.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Gravely Grinch said:
From what I understand, ANSI says that saws under 3.8 cubes must be sold with 2 kickback reducing features, Stihl saws in that range are sold with a chain brake and low kick chain. Saws over 3.8 only need to have 1 safety feature, a chain brake. All of the saws we sell 3.8 & over have yellow strap chains, smaller saws (including the 361) wear green chain. We'll sell ya all the yellow chain you want but we can't put it on for you.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

You are right, but the green labled bar also qualifies as a safety feature, if I read it right.

fishhuntcutwood said:
SawWitch! Welcome! It's great to have Niko's better half on here! You sound very knowledgeable....are you actually the source of all of his information? :)

Welcome ma'am,
Jeff
Dear Jeff, I know that you are one of Nikos closest friends here, thank you for the welcome! :cheers:

Actually, I am overwelmed by the warm welcome I have got here - from several of you - thank you all!:)

I do know a lot about saws, something I learned from my father, and the Troll and me have worked on it.

It all started when my father suddenly handed the ol' Jred over to my husband when we were in the woods, harvesting firewood. He was actually afraid of the saw initially, but the rest is history.....:rockn: :rockn:

Btw, the Trolls grandfather was a full time logger and timber floater in the old days, and my grandfather was a logger in the Chicago area a long time ago - so there may be something in the genes...... :ices_rofl:

Back