Why RM2 On MS361 ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SawWitch said:

It all started when my father suddenly handed the ol' Jred over to my husband when we were in the woods, harvesting firewood. He was actually afraid of the saw initially, but the rest is history.....:rockn: :rockn:

Btw, the Trolls grandfather was a full time logger and timber floater in the old days, and my grandfather was a logger in the Chicago area a long time ago - so there may be something in the genes......

:ices_rofl: sawtroll afraid of saw's, man, thats priceless!

no wonder im into logging too, my dad, my uncle and several other relatives hake worked as loggers so it must be natural that im also loggin "for hobby"...

btw, glad to hear you enjoy your stay at chainsaw maniacs number one site :hmm3grin2orange:

Very cool

SawWitch said:
Btw, the Trolls grandfather was a full time logger and timber floater in the old days, and my grandfather was a logger in the Chicago area a long time ago - so there may be something in the genes...... :ices_rofl:

My grandfather, great-grandfather, and all the siblings were log floaters here also. It's really interesting I think. They used to float logs down the Oswegatchie, St. Regis, and Grasse Rivers here in Northern, NY. They ended up floating logs here in my town down the Saranac River and used to have a Ferry, they gave people rides across the river in certain area. Course that was longggggg before there were paved roads here, lol. Thanks for sharing that SawWitchee. It'd be nice if you had some old timey pics you could put up.

SawWitch said:
Dear Jeff, I know that you are one of Nikos closest friends here, thank you for the welcome! :cheers:

Well I'm honored to be completely honest. He and I go back and forth about bar length, saw balance, wrap handlebars and so on, but it's the way brothers go back and forth over stuff they disagree on. I consider him a friend as well. It'd be a treat to somehow meet up and share a beer someday.

Don't be a stranger around here, and don't let him be a SawHog. Make sure he shares!

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
Well I'm honored to be completely honest. He and I go back and forth about bar length, saw balance, wrap handlebars and so on, but it's the way brothers go back and forth over stuff they disagree on. I consider him a friend as well. It'd be a treat to somehow meet up and share a beer someday. ...
Thank you, and sharing some beers with you sure would be great! :cheers:

:rockn: :rockn: :rockn:

Btw, I also have an off topic question for you - how does the vibe levels of the 460 and the 660 compare in the real world?

SawTroll said:
Btw, I also have an off topic question for you - how does the vibe levels of the 460 and the 660 compare in the real world?

Hmmmm....I don't know. It's not obvious to me, and I guess I've never thought about it. They're both comfortable saws to run. I ran the 660 with a 36" the other day....all day.... cutting down through the stacked log pile blocking firewood. My hands weren't any worse for wear at the end of the day.

Why? Thinking of getting one?

I find the 660 to be fine with "vibes". Might have something to do with it's large mass. I have pretty bad CTS (carpel tunnel syndrome), but the 660 doesn't seem to bring it on strong, even when milling all day.

I can already hear Santa's sleigh...

fishhuntcutwood said:
Why? Thinking of getting one?

Maybe - maybe not - my shortlist for a larger saw have become pretty short lately... ...after I ruled out the 372/2171 and the 441 (440 was never on the list).

The list is now 660W vs 460W, maybe vs 390xpg

It is really up to Santa by now :help: - see Andy's post above.....;)

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
Tell your friend Santa that Troll really wants a 660...:cheers:
I'm on my way to the North Pole for a meeting with Santa, but I don't know if he is a Stihl or Husky fan (or both, like SawTroll).
When I arrive in my sexy Stihl Forestwear Comfort dress, I think that I can convice him that the Troll really need a MS660, anyway...:cheers:

SawWitch said:
I'm on my way to the North Pole for a meeting with Santa, but I don't know if he is a Stihl or Husky fan (or both, like SawTroll).
When I arrive in my sexy Stihl Forestwear Comfort dress, I think that I can convice him that the Troll really need a MS660, anyway...:cheers:

THAT is a good woman! :heart:

SawTroll said:
Maybe - maybe not - my shortlist for a larger saw have become pretty short lately... ...after I ruled out the 372/2171 and the 441 (440 was never on the list).
PS-7900 is out because of the dealer etc issue, and no heated handles version.

The list is now 660W vs 460W, maybe vs Husky 390xpg......

Ill throw in my .02 on your conundrum Troll...

I had a 460 before I got my 660. If the weight of the 460 isnt an issue with you, the weight of the 660 wont be either. And the 660 gets it done allot faster. I was never dissatisfied with my 460, but the coolness factor of the 660 with a 20" bar kept me grabbing it over the 460.

As for husky....the 395 is right there with the 660. So if you are a Husky guy looking for the power of the 660, the 395 should be your choice.

Thank you Casey!

I know that the Husky equivalent of the 660 is the 395, but I don't need all that power anyway.

One of the main duties of a "big" saw for me, will be ripcutting logs lenghtwise, more or less parallell to the grain, so a saw with an outboard sprocket, like the 395, is out of the question.

The Husky 385/390 has an inboard one, but I don't really know if it is as "clean" under the sprocket cover as the Stihls......:confused:
They also cost quite a bit more than a MS660 here.

An added bonus with the Stihls, is the availiability of the Logsol setup....

The "coolness" factor you mentioned is also an argument for the 660, and weight is no biggie, as it will mostly be used stationary.
I looks like the 660 is the way to go, but I am open to more inputs......

Last edited:
Get the 660, put the dual port muffler front on it (if you can get it over there) and retune the carb... You'll never look back, unless you hear me coming with my 880!

SawTroll said:
Thank you Casey!

I know that the Husky equivalent of the 660 is the 395, but I don't need all that power anyway.

One of the main duties of a "big" saw for me, will be ripcutting logs lenghtwise, more or less parallell to the grain, so a saw with an outboard sprocket, like the 395, is out of the question.

The Husky 385/390 has an inboard one, but I don't really know if it is as "clean" under the sprocket cover as the Stihls......:confused:
They also cost quite a bit more than a MS660 here.

An added bonus with the Stihls, is the availiability of the Logsol setup....

The "coolness" factor you mentioned is also an argument for the 660, and weight is no biggie, as it will mostly be used stationary.
I looks like the 660 is the way to go, but I am open to more inputs......

Glad to help.

There is a member here, Carvinmark, he uses a 395 in his mill. Ive run it too...no issues with the outboard clutch other than a pain to swap chains..or rims.

Sorry, obviously not making myself clear enough - I was not talking of mill use, but ripping from the side, making those loooong curly fries......

I know exactly what you're talking about. I clogged my 394 up all the time this summer cutting firewood!! I never even considered that it was b\c of the outboard clutch rimsprocket assembly. I just thought it was b/c it made the curly fry shavings so much FASTER than my 029Super!!!

aquan8tor said:
I know exactly what you're talking about. .....
The MS 361 works very good for that use :clap:
- my 353 is completely useless, even for small wood pieced - clogs up immediately.....:angry2:

SawTroll said:
The MS 361 works very good for that use :clap:
- my 353 is completely useless, even for small wood pieced - clogs up immediately.....:angry2:

does not, mine easily splitted ~25cm spruce (4m long) into half...

Back