Why some brands of saws need repairs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree DR

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been looking and reading and wondered why certain brands of saws are mentioned being repaired? From what I've read it's not just normal wear but problems being fixed.
What brands have you noticed that aren't mentioned being fixed? I've used several different brands and found the same thing to be true, some just have to be fixed and others seem maintenance free.

They all start out brand new, but some get less maintainence than needed, poorly mixed fuel get used, or someone thinks they can adjust it to get more out of it and end up blowing it up. There is no such thing as a maintainence free chain saw.

I've been looking and reading and wondered why certain brands of saws are mentioned being repaired? From what I've read it's not just normal wear but problems being fixed.
What brands have you noticed that aren't mentioned being fixed? I've used several different brands and found the same thing to be true, some just have to be fixed and others seem maintenance free.
Is it me or the 16 beers that I have drank??

please elaborate.

There is no such thing as a maintainence free chain saw.
+1

One of the things to keep in mind is that some saws CAN be repaired. They are designed to be taken apart and reassembled. Parts are readily available.

Others have parts that wear out quickly, or are defective. They have parts that are hard to get, or damage major components like the cases, which means that they are essentially 'disposable', so you might not hear about people repairing or working on them.

Philbert

please elaborate.

As I originally stated I'm not talking about normal maintenance or wear. I'm talking about things that are poorly designed or broke from normal use that shouldn't have. Notice I said normal use, not abuse.
I'm not going to name names since that would only start a war. Just my own observation from reading and personal observation.

When I say maintenace free I'm refering to not needing to replace parts that don't get normal wear. Abuse is not what I'm refering to.

I've done some reading on here and seems some have more problems than others. I'm not talking about personal opinions, but overall observation of threads and posts made on this site.

As I originally stated I'm not talking about normal maintenance or wear. I'm talking about things that are poorly designed or broke from normal use that shouldn't have. Notice I said normal use, not abuse.
I'm not going to name names since that would only start a war. Just my own observation from reading and personal observation.

When I say maintenace free I'm refering to not needing to replace parts that don't get normal wear. Abuse is not what I'm refering to.

I've done some reading on here and seems some have more problems than others. I'm not talking about personal opinions, but overall observation of threads and posts made on this site.

Same thing here, I'm looking for a truck that never breaks down. Got any leads?

ok. fair enough, but i think that's all been covered in the aforementioned
"reading" you have done here. nothing new or revolutionary....

some like one, some like the other, some like both!!:rockn:

and some like the others, as well!!

Chainsaws are like anything else with a gas powered motor. There are good ones and lemons in every thing. then there comes the owner. Some service and care for there saws and take really good care of them while others abuse and beat there's around. Ive only bought one new saw in my lifetime over 20 years ago and I still own it. runs great today and I have not done anything major to it at all. Plugs,filter,gas line,Ect. Some will argue with me on saying this, but I run 32/1 mix with 93 oct. gas and I have never burned up 1 single saw in my life. (knock on wood) I own over 20 saws right now, most were burned up parts saws that I have rebuilt and brought back to life again. on newer saws duel port the muffler,keep it clean and serviced and always keep your chain sharp and you wont have many major problems. Rick!

A great many saws that get talked about here that need major repair are more than 30 years old. Lots of 031s get talked about....I just did major overhalls on 2 of them. 1 my dad bought new in early 1976 and the other has an earlier serial number than that.

Well some saws are made in China and sold in box stores to uneducated consumers who typically have no clue how to properly operate and care for a saw. Other saws are manufactured in developed countries and sold at power equipment dealers to professionals who use a saw everyday and know how to take care of one. Now, would an arborist or logger take care of a ChinaMac or ChinaLite and make it last longer (in terms of operating hours) than a homeowner might, possibly. But they would be disappointed in its performance. Would a homeowner find a way to mess up an MS 361 or 372 after a few uses. Definitely. It's all about who the saw is made for and who is buying/using it.

If ya stay away from Stihl and Huskie and several of the other P.O.S manufacturer's out there you shouldnt have any probs, go with the reputable Wild Thing or the Powerhorse brands, and it'll all be good.:givebeer:

As with most tools some models just seem to work better as a unit than others. Those models will be the long lived legends. They are usually not the fastest, lightest, cheapest, and/or trendiest. They are however typically simple well designed tools that are over-built, over-engineered and the industry standard before they are replaced.

Whiners want it all, workers use what works. :chainsaw:

Back