Why some brands of saws need repairs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I beat the crap out of all my saws. They need repaired frequently. In 2008, I had saws fall out of trees, have trees fall on them, fall out of trucks, get run over by trucks, and one that was somehow involved in a terrible winching incident on my day off. Add a little bit of operator error to those acts of God, and you're gonna need to do some fixing.

The reason I choose my saws is mostly based on parts availability and interchangeability. Also, we had to replace a few guys to prevent some of those acts of God.

I beat the crap out of all my saws. They need repaired frequently. In 2008, I had saws fall out of trees, have trees fall on them, fall out of trucks, get run over by trucks, and one that was somehow involved in a terrible winching incident on my day off. Add a little bit of operator error to those acts of God, and you're gonna need to do some fixing.

The reason I choose my saws is mostly based on parts availability and interchangeability. Also, we had to replace a few guys to prevent some of those acts of God.

The depressing life that you seem to live kinda explains your name.

That was mean and uncalled for. I kill a lot of saws and a lot of trees, hence my name. I don't find my life depressing at all.

I just meant all the saws dying would be depressing, but really Mr killer, I Know nothing about your personal life and I would never do anything to piss you off. (and by the way, it was a joke)

Some of you see what I'm talking about.
Some of you don't want to see what I'm talking about.
Some of you only care about what you talk about.
sarcasm?

I've been looking and reading and wondered why certain brands of saws are mentioned being repaired? From what I've read it's not just normal wear but problems being fixed.
What brands have you noticed that aren't mentioned being fixed? I've used several different brands and found the same thing to be true, some just have to be fixed and others seem maintenance free.

Well.. for what's it's worth.. I have a old Craftsman 34cc saw that I have had for over 15 years. It still starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull every time. I have never done any repairs to this saw other than replace the air filter, and bar.

The only thing I don't like about this saw is it doesn't cut so good in the big stuff. It's OK for the small limbs but cutting 8" or larger rounds it just don't have the power.

But.. it's been a good maintenance free saw for me over the years.

I've been looking and reading and wondered why certain brands of saws are mentioned being repaired? From what I've read it's not just normal wear but problems being fixed.
What brands have you noticed that aren't mentioned being fixed? I've used several different brands and found the same thing to be true, some just have to be fixed and others seem maintenance free.

Counting names in repair threads will get you nowhere because there are 2 possible explanations for a recurring name: 1) the saw is a piece of crap, and needs a lot of repair 2) the saw is such a great saw, 100s of thousands of people use it every day, and a small number of those encounter problems through bad luck or neglect.

Your question assumes the former.

That was mean and uncalled for. I kill a lot of saws and a lot of trees, hence my name. I don't find my life depressing at all.

Don't be hard on Max...from your first post it wasn't clear whether you were a serial saw killer or a serial tree killer. Turns out it is both.

Counting names in repair threads will get you nowhere because there are 2 possible explanations for a recurring name: 1) the saw is a piece of crap, and needs a lot of repair 2) the saw is such a great saw, 100s of thousands of people use it every day, and a small number of those encounter problems through bad luck or neglect.

Your question assumes the former.

The answer to both 1 and 2 is the 009.

Well, The Stihl Accordian fuel lines seem to need to be replaced quite often, a little bad gas and they are goo. Sit a year dry, and they are cracked open.

Husky saws where the rubber fuel line runs from the tank, up through the air cavity into the bottom of the carb box...the line tends to break right where it goes through the air cavity..9 times out of 10 if a husky wont start, or starts on choke then dies...the lne is broken in that air cavity. My husky 350, a year old, did it.

Stihl control levers..brittle, replace them quite often on all models, but more often on the MS-260.

025 style air filters, the filter side clips bend and break.

Husky XP saws with the top cover snaps...I see em all the time with at least one snap broken off.

ECHO saws with the side chain tensioner screw. People like to try to tension them with the bar nuts tight and the gears strip..

newer Poulan saws- Oilers..the plastic gear strips. coils come loose, fuel lines break after a couple years of sitting.

Stihl Demolition saws- Ongoing rope breaking problems. To get a strong enough rope on it, the amount of rope is less than adequate, and every time it is pulled it hits the knot.

Just off the top of my head.

Back