Why such long bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehp

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I see alot of you guys use long bars , i just want to know why.
Is the timber that big, and you use small motors on them
This is just a question that i what to learn why,up here there is lots of trees 4 ft. and better across and we donot use those big bars, the longest bar at the dealers is 28 inch , which i would not run , tried one took it of very fast

LONG bars

Ed,
Steve here... I don't cut full tyme, but I get into some decent size timber from tyme to tyme. I use a 30" on my 088 just for bucking and ripping down big rounds to make sizeable for the log splitter. I use a 16" and 20" on my 066 for felling. I run a 13" on my oh nine oh...lol

Long bars are suitable for timber fallers working on steep slopes so they don't have to reach around. Long bars are also helpful on bucking on steep ground- they keep you out of the bite. Where I really need a long bar though is on forest fires- a long bar allows you to stand back and not get hit by falling embers and parts of the tree when falling burning snags and trees.

EHP most of my firewood comes from a municipal stump dump alas butts and crotches many times i can only cut from one side on large pieces. your right though most people use too long a bar

I own a lot of saws for my tree business, and used to cut firewood commercially, so heres my not so humble opinion:
as far as removals, (my bread and butter),
when approaching a cut, my rule of thumb is have 4" or so of bar sticking out, and ample HP. with the tip out, the cut runs true and and unencumbered. I run 20" on my 036, and 24" on my 044, 046, 066. I run 36" on my 660 and my 088 (.404). I have a 41" (.404) for the 088, buts its a bastard size and hangs on the wall. My 3120 PP has a 32" bar, and will get a 48" soon.
I have half a dozen littlesaws, and other than my climbing saws,
they are for the help.

The crux of the biscut is (not the apostrophe) :rolleyes: that I will pick up numerous saws in order to do a big tree. especially for the stump. I regularly do 3' - 5' DBH trees, and cut several trees a day of size. some days I might cut up 15- 20 trees. I almost always cut them into firewood length, or into loadable lengths. big stuff I cut 12", then rip into blocks 1 person can lift. (not me, thank God) I leave 90% of my wood behind.:p
I don't do a lot of pruning.

The whole idea is production. and like brian says repeatedly, A SHARP CHAIN. and regular bar dressing.

I bought an 066 used once with a 16" bar, and went around the corner to a 7-11 and threw the bar and chain in the trash can, no joke. then put a 36" on it.:D

Ya Tom i just cannot see why he didnot use a 12 inch blade on that big tree.And as far as slopes go that is all we have here all the good timber that was on flat ground is long gone, but i can tell that i should leave this one alone

I have cut some firewood in the spring when it is to wet to work in the bush but most of the time it was cutting in the bush,
Here you are to cut 100 trees a day of log size stuff , they will not count the small trees and if the skidder can skid 100 that day and you cannot fall that it better not happen very often our you will be looking for another type of work and as far as accurate , i feel that i am as accurate as they come,i have cut alot of danger trees and always put them where i want them

ehp, There are many reasons here on the west coast for a long bar. Just reaching out and cutting your undercuts on the far side is a convenience, especially in steep ground. Reaching over to cut your bottom corner on a big buck, to get your log to drop and not get your bar hung up in the cut. But limbing a large tree with many limbs can kill your back if your bending over to much. Taller guys like the longer bar to help them on this. 36" is what most guys use. I can get away with a 32'' because I'm short. "Strong back, weak mind." Cutting big cuts at a contest is faster if you don't have to cut way over. I would like to see everybody cutting with no longer than a 32" bar no matter what the size of the wood. This way shows a skill of cutting, and the power of the saw, and how good your chain cuts. Anybody can make a straight off cut, not much skill in that! When I first started cutting in contests we cut 38" to 40" wood all the time. If you don't cut it right you double cut your wood and significantly slows your time. This does take practice, and log cutters will have a slight advantage because they make these cuts more often than the average chain saw nerd. Keeping your tip in the wood without lifting it as you come back is the way to do this, if you do lift, you will more than likely double cut. Dennis

ehp, right now I'm up in the air about contesting. Webster has been a show I've wanted to go to, but work that time of year interfered. Always had to work long and hard to get time off to go places in the summer. I'm sure I'll be able to run a chain saw this summer, but my 500 Honda may have a different sawyer running it. I want my hip to heal good before I run the 500 again. If I can swing it, I'm coming to the Outdoor Games. Just to help, not to run. Dennis

Webster is the end of May and you can only use a saw , no go-cart stuff or bike saws
I know they sold there block turner to Peg Engasser so that would make me believe that they have built there long log turner so i donot know what kind of wood they are going to have , i could be whitepine for sawing wood

ehp, Winnfield used long logs. When they ran out of wood they slid the rest of the log out the holding dummy and reset the holding chains. This was a fast way to do it! Is this what they're going to do at Webster.

I understand why you would use a long bar when cutting big timber Dennis but what i donot understand is using a 4 ft bar to cut a 2 ft tree . I have seen this alot outhere with danger tree guys not guys that cut in the bush. I have a 090 with a 42 inch bar on it just in case i run into a big tree . I start it everyonce in a while just to make sure it runs, and a 084 with a 36 inch on it,
i have cut trees with it but to tell you i am also strong in the back and weak in the mind but not that weak , man to cut a 100 hardwood trees a day with that would kill you, and as far as limbing forget that. I think i will stay with my warmed up 066 and a 24 inch bar

well my only problem is when long bars are put on small powerheads to sell
to the public [ala bigger saw]..
its a gimmick then ,,in my opinion..
at lowes they sell the poulan with gosh awful long bars then down the isle are the husq. with adequate bars.
now if u work calls for it,, use what ever length u need,,even with small power head ,,if its all u can afford.. but thats not optimum use of the saws power..
if its, u regular work,, go on and get the power head that fits the job.. now this from a man that,, until i came here,, used an 028 ,for everything.. my first attempt to go longer was the pp330.. i gotta say it handled the 22inch bar alrite at 53 cc. just think what it would have done with 18..
ps i also had the pp335 older version ,,and it just wasnt the same saw..please forgive,, most humble opinion of amature..:)

Yes they have long logs but they had to get it from a ven. mill and i guess yellow popular is worth somemoney so they wanted to build there own turner to turn long logs , the one they sold only turns 28 inches long.
the one i built turners from 12 inches to 42 inch long , 32 inch diameter
i will get a hold of paul and see what is up

Yes Tony i agree with you
here a dealer would not let you out of the door with a 20' bar on anything less than 65 cc

ehp, who gets the wood for Webster now? Melvin did, Paul did, Arden did, and I don't no who else. Heard many stories about there wood. Dennis

the Cogars is all i know but Mevlin would be in that group
i have been to where they turn the wood , it is just up the road from paul's and bill's place , they have got good whitepine ,
and i am not sure why they used a tree from someone's yard last year in the single buck , ask Melvin how he liked it after hitting nails with mikey forrester's new saw, but there wood is pretty good all in all , it is just jamie wants that big single wood because he is in good shape and feels that it helps him

I normally use a 24'' bar on my ms460 and a 20'' on my 372xpg, on my 066G I use a 24'' bar most of the time but will run a 28'' or 36'' depending on the size of the timber and stepness of the ground. Falling white pine on these step slopes in the mountains is alot eaiser with a bar that can cut through it from one side. Same with bucking, granted I normally buck on the landing but sometimes you have to buck in the woods.

Big dogs are also something that I use alot as I cut quite a bit of thick barked chestnut oak.

Back