Why such long bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't see using a long bar that protudes more than say, 6"-8" or more, when all that happens is the bar gets pinched cause I can't pull it out quick enough. ( might also explain my 4 kids).:D :D

don't cut on steep hills too much, either.

I have sold the guys in west V. alot of bush saws mostly 372 and they all got 20 bars and the guys liked them after they used them
when the canadian dollar was low we could buy saws alot cheaper than the guys in the states

O ya before i forget what kind of bar oil do you send me to try Dennis, Boy it works what ever it is
Is it slick 50 , duralube or what
if you donot want to answer me it ok just as long as you send me more ok This stuff does work

Around here in this hardwood which you mostly cut here
the bar size goes like this
346 gets a 16 inch
357 =16 inch
365-372 20 inch
385 = 20 inch
3120 gets 24 or 28 with 3/8 chain but unless you gear the saw what is the use the 066 mag. will out cut it
Here it is not the size of the tree it is the power of your saw
a 372 with a 28 inch bar would cut so slow and be so hard on the motor plus be hard on you

like i told you i am not the brightest bulb on the tree
plus nothing on t.v.

Plus where in the h#ll is gypo , the 3 of us up here me , myself and i cannot carry the canadian flag high by ourselfs
we fight to much

ehp,

don't mind Rocky, he's just our resident blowhard.

I run 25, 28 and 32 inch bars on my 2 modded 372's, 16 and.or 20 on my modded 346, 36 on the 066, and 42 and 60 on the 3120. I have no use for a bar that won't go through the cut, be it in the air or falling. For bucking , no problem with a short bar. If I were cutting more hardwoods, I'd run shorter bars.

Here's a puny 48 inch fir butt cut.

Last edited:
I work in the woods every day cept wen its wet.
I used to always grab one of my 066's witha 28" bar on it and use it all day. all i do is felling, I let the the 2 guys toppin limb and top (and pull cable)

Ive since put a 20" bar on my favorite redlight 066 and stuck the 28 on another 066.

I have more fun with the 20" bar. Job im at now im wishin it was longer, steep hills in places makes things a pain. most of the time im on the ground for the back cut and around stomach chest level on the notch. also wish we had a skidder with 500 feet of cable.

here you do everything and that means limbing
the last job i did i had to cut and skid by myself with a 740 deere john, so i got to cut hemlock most of the time in 4 feet of snow
the trees average just under 1000 board feet per tree
with 72.4 trees perday for the 21 week period. I was working by the day the other skidder gangs were working by the tree so they wanted to stay away from the hemlock

No i cut 72 trees aday and yes i did get another 0 in my pay check , when it is cold out hemloch cuts easy and limbing is easier , the skidder blade works well
in the hemloch i didnot have to use snowshoes plus i could cut whatever i wanted and the hemloch around here has never been cut so the sidehills are full of it
if i was cutting hardwood like the rest of the gangs i would have to wear snowshoes because you have to walk up to every tree to see if you can cut it the hardwood trees have to be marked for you to cut even on your own land, that is the law here now

I like the bar to reach through the cut. I only have a 044 for now, so that runs the 36". I will hopefully be getting an 066 in mid to late Jan. I like to run whatever length bar will reach through the cut.

When limbing I use a 14,16, or 20" bar on a 200, 250, or an 044.

Carl

May be you are the saw man i know one thing forsure we donot have trees that are 10 feet across
the biggest tree that i have ever fell cutting in the bush was a 81 inch whitepine across and i fell that with a 046 stihl with only a 24 inch bar , it was on a good side hill so i notch it out big went in the notch cut the centre out and cut the back and the way she went. But most of the whitepine here is in the 24 inch to 36 inch area

TFJ,
How long does it take to drop a tree that large with a 372 Club.Out here most of the logging takes place with an excavator, they use a clam to grab the tree. Then they pull it out of the ground and have Pedro cut the root ball off. Then the grapple skidder picks it and brings it to the landing where a whole tree chipper, chips it into a tractor trailer. Once that is done the root balls are tossed into a tub grinder and made into mulch for all the pretty Cookie Cutter homes.
The chips are sent out to the power plant in Long Island that gives me power to type this. With all the mulch, all the pretty Mcmansions are lanscraped up and sell for an average 2-3 Mil.After it's all done and all that loot is passed out Everyone is Happy.

tfj.. when i first looked ,at that i thot them was ropes rigged to that tree.
[ leaning saplings i guess]
:) aint knowbody but the creator coulda tied that tree off..
also mark ,,ive seen those machines..
are u sayin they got them big enough to handle a tree like that up that way..
just curious..:)

Tom, When using a long bar ;like a 42" doesnt the bar sag under its own weight whne the saw is held on the horizontal plain? It seems the bar would be so flimsy that the chain would derail.

Rocky

do you think i have posted enough stuff yet, i will try to do better ok

bwalker- yes, long bars sag quite a bit, you have to start the cut initially with a shorter bar and then wrestle the long bar up there, or start the cut with the tip of the long bar and then hold the powerhead up so the bar can go in straight.

ida never thot,, they was a tree like that left... that was legal to cut dn.. i am duely impressed.. wish i coulda just watched that day..with my binoculars..:)

Back