Why wont folks just buy the right bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ran into the same problem.A man brought a 55 husky with the complaint that the bar wouldn't stay tight.He just kept on there was something wrong with the adjuster.when I took the clutch cover off the slot on the bar was bottomed out on the back bar stud and the chain had a belly like a fattening hog.The bar had husqvarna on it. But the bar slot was longer than I've seen on a husky bar.So after I proved to him it was the wrong bar he went and bought what I told him to and wala it was fixed.I don't know why people are so hard headed but they are.The same day man from NY that took a wrong turn and wound up in east TN with a 357 husky.He had taken it to another shop who told him the flywheel key was broken.So I put a coil on it and sent him on his way with a running saw.So the moral of this story is trust but verify and at the end of the day depend on yourself and take your time use common sense if you have it if you don't take it to someone who does...

I am laughing more than I am complaining. It is a simple and cheap fix but it just amazes me the extent some go to. Many years ago my brother and I made a good living making custom millwork (base and casing trim) for high end homes. My brother would go out and bid the job based on total lineal feet of trim needed. We bid casing at 7ft lengths but delivered in in 8-9-10ft lengths. What that means is if the bid was for 2800 ft of casing we would make and deliver 400 pieces based on 7ft. Of course the were longer than 7ft as the were from 8/9/10's That was so the customer was treated very fairly and got much more than what was bid. We had a job for a guy that had a wife that was an executive for Monsanto. He did not have a job other than serving as a general contractor building a new home for his wife every time Monsanto moved her. Well we delivered the contacted amount of trim and he installed it himself. In the end he wanted to return a bunch and wanted a refund on unused custom trim. It made no sense how he could have that much unused. We refunded him and shook our heads. A few years later we found out why he had so much unused. His wife got moved by Monsanto and they sold the home. The new owners got ahold of us to build all new casing and base. It turns out the reason the guy had so much extra as he was too cheap to do the job right and butt jointed short cut off pieces together. Can you imagine looking at a 6ft picture window with the upper casing that consists of 6 pieces of cut offs. This was in a $500,000 home 20 years ago. The new owners had it all ripped out and we built all new trim.

I once picked up an 044 that had a similar modification made to it to allow a small mount Husky bar to be used on it, but to do one better the studs had been cut/ground while still mounted on the crankcase and the bar pad therefore had deep cuts , more than 1/16 deep in it from the cutoff wheel on a hand grinder. Needless to say the bar did not oil well.

With the studs screwed all the way in it is a 3003 mount Stihl bar, with the studs turned out 1/4 turn it is for large mount Husky. Never heard or read about that? It does look like they went so far as to fit a small mount Husky which the oil slot would need moved down somewhat.

With the studs ground flat a large mount husqvarna bar will fit right on it. The oil and adjuster holes line right up, the only difference is the stud dia.
If you have a bunch of husky bars to use up why not grind the 5-10 dollar studs down? They're easy to swap out.
The small mount husqvarna wont fit without serious mods to the oiling system, it's too short top to bottom, the oil hole on the saw is at the top edge of the bar.

I looked into putting a 20 inch .325 small mount husky bar on my 066 clone but I'd have to fill the oiler slot and lower it, I have a couple of those to use up. All it would cost is a rim sprocket but I gave up on doing it as I couldnt go back to 3/8 stihl bars easily.

The rim is a consumable and $4. Those are normal maintenance whereas grinding bar studs to fit a bars are a hack fix that does not allow proper oiling and ruins things FAST
Lol...yes, I'm very aware. But when you see a rim sprocket that worn out, it means the owner doesn't' really give a flying F about just about anything in regards to maintenance or proper care of a saw. So....it doesn't really surprise me at all that he ground down the bar studs to fit a bar he probably found in the shed out back.

Lol...yes, I'm very aware. But when you see a rim sprocket that worn out, it means the owner doesn't' really give a flying F about just about anything in regards to maintenance or proper care of a saw. So....it doesn't really surprise me at all that he ground down the bar studs to fit a bar he probably found in the shed out back.
I agree with that 100%.

Latest posts

Back