Why won't my chain spin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCPT

Love my saws
Reaction score
I put a new woodland pro chain on a 14" bar for my 025. I made sure all the numbers matched when i ordered the chain for the bar. Cut with it yesterday cleaning up some overhanging limbs and small trees around my field edge. Got into one small tree with a heavy lean and ended up throwing the chain. Now I have to force the chains links back into the bar and the saw won't spin the chain. I must have got my specs off but I thought they were right. To be honest, I'm a little confused by 3/8" and 3/8" lp. 20180625_171331.jpg Any advice/help is appreciated. Thanks.

The chain in the pic is a Stihl chain.
Just out of curiosity, put up a pic of the teeth on your sprocket too.

Yes, I put the green label chain back on that came with the bar to troubleshoot.

I just checked the drive links, they have some spots that need filing. Going to the vise now, I'll report back....thanks.

My guess was boogered tangs too. That's exactly the kind of cutting where you're most apt to throw a chain, and new chains are going to stretch most when you first use them.

Make sure they are flat - any remaining burr is going to eat the bar groove until the burr wears off.

Back