why would i need a 362 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...so says the man with a strong opinion.

I have run several 362s on several different occasions, modified and stock. I said I have never run one with M-tronic... if you want something to compare, the 362 is way overpriced!!!

First general comment directed at no one - in my limited experience (as a firewood cutter) with multiple models of X, Y and Z saws, the performance difference between one X saw and another X saw can be fairly extreme. You have to be careful judging a particular model saw good or bad based upon one example.

Second general comment - just like driving a car we all have different cutting styles. Some like high reving narrow power bands and others like wide power bands. Doesn't necessarily mean that one is better than the other. Get what suits you but remain open to try something else when it is recommended by someone you trust.

Ron

Really don't think the 361 is overrated, when comparing 60cc saws the 361 is right up at the top. It would be compared to the 262xp, there are folks on here that really like the 262xp. I have some of both saws and would be hard pressed to pick one, I can tell you that for some reason I pick up the 361 more often. This has nothing to do with the OP, I have never used a 362 and probably won't, wouldn't want to be tempted.:rolleyes:
If you can tell the weight difference between the 361 and 362 you must have a digital scale in your brain. The weight difference is negligible at best. I've owned both saws, and I can tell you the 362 is simply better, than the 361 in every way. I love how people have strong opinions about something, without having any firsthand experience with it. I personally was never a big fan of the 361, way overrated!

I posted recently in another thread about the 362, I like the wider power band over my 361. Again that is just my preference , some guys like blondes, others like redheads, both get the job done, just a preference. As to why should you get a 362? Simple, they are cool! Here's my 362R and my 261
2y8ynu6u.jpg

I posted recently in another thread about the 362, I like the wider power band over my 361. Again that is just my preference , some guys like blondes, others like redheads, both get the job done, just a preference. As to why should you get a 362? Simple, they are cool! Here's my 362R and my 261
2y8ynu6u.jpg

Nice saws.

If you can tell the weight difference between the 361 and 362 you must have a digital scale in your brain. The weight difference is negligible at best. I've owned both saws, and I can tell you the 362 is simply better, than the 361 in every way. I love how people have strong opinions about something, without having any firsthand experience with it. I personally was never a big fan of the 361, way overrated!

It's not really the weight, so much as the bulk. It just feels and acts sloppy and lazy. I never liked them. We'll see if M Tronic saves that line. A was perfectly happy with an MM 361, myself - hype or no hype. Having used a 362, I AM impressed with the 560xp. That saw literally makes the 362 feel like a waste of time and money.

To answer the OP's question, you would need an MS362 when you need a 60cc saw and you can't find a 562xp or a 361.

Wheel chock, door stop, bucking block there are lotsa reasons why you should have it. Just joshen, I have never ran one but hey a extra saw that runs is a good thing.

It's not really the weight, so much as the bulk. It just feels and acts sloppy and lazy. I never liked them. We'll see if M Tronic saves that line. A was perfectly happy with an MM 361, myself - hype or no hype. Having used a 362, I AM impressed with the 560xp. That saw literally makes the 362 feel like a waste of time and money.

To answer the OP's question, you would need an MS362 when you need a 60cc saw and you can't find a 562xp or a 361.

In the power department I didn't see any difference between the 562 and the 362. I've been around here a long time, the saw of the month is always the strongest, fastest there ever was. Suggestibility is a strong force, I tell you what.

Really don't think the 361 is overrated, when comparing 60cc saws the 361 is right up at the top. It would be compared to the 262xp, there are folks on here that really like the 262xp. I have some of both saws and would be hard pressed to pick one, I can tell you that for some reason I pick up the 361 more often. This has nothing to do with the OP, I have never used a 362 and probably won't, wouldn't want to be tempted.:rolleyes:

I also feel the 262xp is overrated. I also know for a fact the 362 is a stronger saw. We did a comparison at a gtg, with my just out of the box 362 vs a 262xp, it wasn't even all that close. Now I'm not saying the 262xp or the 361 isn't a good saw. These forums however often over inflate reality IMHO.:D

In the power department I didn't see any difference between the 562 and the 362. I've been around here a long time, the saw of the month is always the strongest, fastest there ever was. Suggestibility is a strong force, I tell you what.

I also find that not only is suggestion a strong force, but also having years of experience and not being basically a hobbyist expert cookie cutter like many here also is a strong force for sorting out BS. The 362 is not only a pig, it is a waste of money when you could have a 560xp. Cutting cookies is not how I judge saws. I judge them by using them for work. And the 362 is crap to work with compared to a 560xp, let alone a 361. It is a sloppy hoor of a saw, as they would say here. I would actually put it right up there just under the worst modern saw I have used in recent times - an MS261. Just unpleasant to use compared to most other saws. Power isn't everything. Strong and fast are worthless if I have to pull the trigger and then wait for it to spool up like a diesel. Power means nothing if it limbs like a pig. I got news for you, any 60cc saw can cut wood. Seriously, they all cut wood. But not all of them are a pleasure to use. The MS362 is not a pleasure to use. It feels like you are somehow handicapped. I'll pass on that, and the 261. I suggest others do the same.

I also find that not only is suggestion a strong force, but also having years of experience and not being basically a hobbyist expert cookie cutter like many here also is a strong force for sorting out BS. The 362 is not only a pig, it is a waste of money when you could have a 560xp. Cutting cookies is not how I judge saws. I judge them by using them for work. And the 362 is crap to work with compared to a 560xp, let alone a 361. It is a sloppy hoor of a saw, as they would say here. I would actually put it right up there just under the worst modern saw I have used in recent times - an MS261. Just unpleasant to use compared to most other saws. Power isn't everything. Strong and fast are worthless if I have to pull the trigger and then wait for it to spool up like a diesel. Power means nothing if it limbs like a pig. I got news for you, any 60cc saw can cut wood. Seriously, they all cut wood. But not all of them are a pleasure to use. The MS362 is not a pleasure to use. It feels like you are somehow handicapped. I'll pass on that, and the 261. I suggest others do the same.

OK that right there was one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time. I know you're just looking a nonsensical fight, no thanks!! I've been cutting wood most of my life BTW.

Last edited:
I really like my 362. It is woods ported and really responded well to the porting. I'm a huge fan of 372's and run them as much as possible, As long as the 20" bar isn't burried I'd say I made close to the same amount of cuts at the end of the day with the 362 as I would have with the 372 but with less fatigue. It's a great saw for all day use from felling to limbing to bucking.

Latest posts

Back