Wild thing review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
Reaction score
I think we have a contender for the "best" 40cc saw. :cheers:

http://www.epinions.com/review/Poulan_Wild_Thing_2375/content_44045733508

Since we knew that we should be finding some firewood for burning in the fireplace this winter, hubby and I diligently searched the paper for an ad where someone was selling firewood. We had no luck so decided to see what we could do about cutting our own. Our oldest son has a chain saw that he said we could us if we found some place to cut.

Fortunately, someone we know has a farm with lots of trees and gave us permission to cut what we wanted from his place. So getting ourselves all geared up and going over to our sons and getting his saw, we are off to cut our firewood.

After getting there and picking out our first tree to fell, hubby fires up the chain saw and attempts to make the notch cut. He could have done better with a butter knife. Our sons chain saw had three chains and with each changing of the chain we discovered each one of those chains was too dull to cut off a tree limb let along cut a tree down.

We decide if we are going to cut wood we might as well have our own chain saw. We make our way back into town and to our local Super Wal-Mart. They have just the thing for us, the Poulan Wild Thing 2375 18 inch chain saw.

My but this is a pretty little thing. The saw is purple and very bright lime green. Almost too pretty to take out and scar all up with cutting down trees. But don't let the pretty looks fool you. Poulan made themselves a great saw in The Wild Thing 2375. It comes fully assembled so there is no need for special tools. Just purchase the saw along with some gasoline, and bar and chain lubricant and after reading all instructions you are good to go.

The Wild Thing 2375 comes with carrying case and extra chain as well as the bar tool and instruction booklet. The bar tool is used to adjust the chain when it becomes loose. Whether this is your first, second or third chain saw, no operation of the saw should take place until after reading ALL instructions.

Poulan Wild Thing is equipped with:
A 2.5 cubic inch motor (40cc).
Automatic gear-driven oiler which promotes constant oiling of bar and chain. The bar and chain require continuous lubrication. Lubrication is provided with the automatic oiler system when the oil tank is kept filled. Lack of oil will quickly ruin the bar and chain. Too little oil will cause overheating shown by smoke coming from the chain and/or discoloration of the bar.
High performance piston-ported engine that creates more power at higher engine speeds.
Wide handle spacing which allows for more comfortable operation and step-through starting.
Throttle Lock-Out. This feature prevents you from accidentally squeezing the trigger.

When using a chain saw you should know that there is a danger in kickbacks. A kickback is the backward, upward or sudden forward motion of the guide bar (bar on which the chain fits) occurring when the saw chain near the upper tip of the guide bar contacts any object such as a log or branch, or when the wood closes in and pinches the saw chain in the cut. The Wild Thing 2375 is equipped with a chain brake. The chain brake is designed to stop the chain if a kickback occurs. The chain brake activates automatically in the event of a kickback. The chain brake must be dis-engaged before starting the saw.

The Wild Thing 2375 is certified to operate on unleaded gasoline. Before operation, gasoline must be mixed with a good quality 2-cycle air-cooled engine oil. Poulan recommends Poulan/Weed Eater� brand oil. If you don't want to use that then be sure and use a good quality 2-cycle air-cooled oil designed to be mixed at a ratio of 40:1. Do Not Use automotive or boat oil as these oils will cause engine damage.

We felled 6 trees the day we purchased the Poulan Wild Thing 2375. My husband had no problem with starting it and he found it lightweight enough that he did not tire while using it, that is trimming as well as felling the 6 trees. The Poulan Wild Thing 2375 has plenty of power for most firewood cutting.

Poulan Wild Thing 2375 comes with a one year limited warranty. Electrolux Home Products North America, Division of WCI Outdoor Products, Inc., warrants to the original purchaser that each new Poulan brand gasoline chain saw is free from defect in material and workmanship and agrees to repair or replace under this warranty any defective gasoline chain saw as follows from the original date of purchase.
1 Year~~Parts and Labor, when used for Household purposes
60 Days~~Parts and Labor, when used for Commercial, Professional, or income producing purposes.
30 Days~~Parts and Labor, if used for rental purposes.
This warranty is not transferrable and does not cover damage or liability caused by improper handling, improper maintenance or the use of accessories and /or attachments not specifically recommended by Electrolux Home Products North America for this chain saw.

If you need assistance you can call 1-800-554-6723. If you need service part you can contact your dealer or place of purchase.

We had our Poulan Wild Thing 2375 one week when my husband went out to attempt to start it to cut some larger pieces of firewood into shorter lengths and he couldn't get it started. Luckily we have a shop that does warranty work for Wal-Mart about 8 blocks from us. Hubby took the saw up to the shop and had it checked out. The choke rod had slipped off. It took no time to get it running again. The guy at the shop told my husband that in rare instances the choke rod will slip off but it is easily fixed.

Again, I cannot say this enough~~~ Please DO NOT operate or attempt to operate the Poulan Wild Thing 2375 or any other chain saw until after you have read ALL instructions. Be sure and take all precautions illustrated in the users manual. DO NOT let anyone other than another adult operate the Poulan or any other chain saw.

Recommended:
Yes

Why have I spent thousands on professional grade saws when this one obviously fills the bill. Why all the talk about dealer support when theres a walmart service center just right down the road? Color me stupid I guess!

Why have I spent thousands on professional grade saws when this one obviously fills the bill. Why all the talk about dealer support when theres a walmart service center just right down the road? Color me stupid I guess!

I wonder what the cylinders look like on these saws. :cheers:

No Mix Required

New technology I guess, only need gasoline........

"It comes fully assembled so there is no need for special tools. Just purchase the saw along with some gasoline, and bar and chain lubricant and after reading all instructions you are good to go."

The Chevy Chevette sold over a hundred thousand in its production run, but that didn't make it a great car. Yeah they could take a beating and still get you to work the next day, but how many are left as of today? Not many. And the ones that are out there should be scraped out.

I doubt the wild thing, eager beaver, or wood shark are that horrible of saws if that is all you can afford/justify buying for the small amount of wood most people really do burn. I won't have one unless it's free and even then there is still a catch.....you usually have to work on them just to be able to cut, so they aren't really free after all.

I think it would be interesting if someone here who is really good at working on saws and maintaining them would buy a new wild thing, take care of it, use it and see how long it really would last. I think most people who get those saws don't understand how to use them and take care of them and that may explain a lot of our hatred of them. JJuday

Had a Poulan for around 10 Years when it quit no need to fix it , if you drop it no need to cry, not like losing any Husky or Stihl. Poulan is a good saw while you wait for a Great saw. Firts 3 saws I had were Poulan! Number 2 was less $$ than the first 1, number 3 was free

I've got a husky 141 which can't be too far off a wildthing... The only real problem is the carb isn't that great, its pretty finicky for some reason. Its easy to lean it out or richen it to much so your not getting full "power".
Also the epa muffler isn't working any more, the exhaust smells like my 372 now. Vibe is ok and its very light with the LP chain and thin bar.
I use it over my 372 cutting white cedar for cutting fence posts, its pulls the skinny chain through 14" of cedar about 1/3 as fast as the 372, but thats fine as I'm way faster limbing with it, especially after a couple hours...
Probably I have 40-50 hours on it and nothing has broken or fallen off so its not total junk at all for someone that doesn't do firewood with it. I reach for the 372 for doing that.
Ian

I was simply reading along till I read this: "My but this is a pretty little thing." Then I lost it with laughter. If I my window would have been open, anybody within hearing distance would have thought I lost my mind. :)

I'm still chuckling...

Kevin

For what they are I guess they are ok. I have 2 in the garage and 1 has never been fueled. won it in a golf tourney. They are throw away's when they break down nothing more nothing less. Good for loaner saw's.

The best part is that he didn't own a chainsaw and after a trip to walmart he's felling trees and the wifes writing the review about how great it is after it wouldn't start the second use.

Wow - that totally awesome review just makes me want to trade in, and buy a Wild Thingy!! :bowdown:

Headin on down to Wally World right now! :chainsawguy:

:cheers: ......NOT!! :bang:

Marketing people...

This reads like something a marketing/advertising department would put out.

I mean it just sounds EXACTLY like the B S that comes out of the marketing department at my work. Half the time, I read the stuff and I say, 'Are you SERIOUS?!??!'

It makes me nauseous to read that crap.

I think I threw up in my mouth a little...

Latest posts

Back